Author Topic: After market narrow seats  (Read 511 times)

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

After market narrow seats
« on: September 11, 2020, 07:32:25 PM »
Hi guy's,

I'm looking for some new after market seats for my Moke  since MX5 seats are like rocking horse pooh. 

Most don't seem to fit because of the upper wide wings that seem to be about 520mm. 

My current 1981 high back seats are about 450mm wide from bottom to top.  So it is pretty slim pickings trying to find anything this narrow as  I'm sure you all are aware of after reading through some of the older posts.  I did notice most of these posts were pretty old so just wandering if anyone has found any new seats which fit?

I did find the Cobra Cub which is 460mm wide.  It is the narrowest seat which Cobra make and it has a head rest to comply with ADR.  Has anyone installed these in their Moke?

Here is a link which show the dimensions.  Does this look like a fit?

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=10423&PSO=245&PSID=466715323&PSV=Primary&CDO=

Thanks

Brad

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: After market narrow seats
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 10:03:00 PM »
Brad
The only one I found that I was able to modify sufficiently were early Holden Barina. I had to cut down the width of the seat and back rest padding to suit as you said. The upside is my moke now has adjustable and reclining seats, but they are a tight fit as the upholsterer put some padding back under the new covers .

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 11:01:45 PM »
The Cobra seat looks good, the 460 wide might be to the outside of the cushions which might squish a bit so width may not be an issue.
Stratos seats have these
http://www.stratos.com.au/files/stratosseatingspecsheet-785branchpress.pdf
but again 460 wide.

Another thing to look out for is the seat is low in the squab height, I think about 140mm is the max, I think the ones in
Missions moke would be to high for me (6'2") but might not be a problem for shorter people.

A couple of cars with nice looking seats that I think would fit would be Honda S2000 or Lotus Elise but they'd be rarer than the MX5 seats
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »
Hey Maystro,

I really like the look of those Cobra Cub seats, I hope that price is for a set of 4!

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »
Thanks Mission,

I like your seats but probably are a little high for me because I'm trying get my new roll cage as low as possible without having a head banging experience like I have with my existing seats on speed bumps.

Unfortunately Drakman that price is for only 1 seat.  You pay for quality British made products.  I don't really mind since I got 40 years out of the first set of seats.

That's what I was thinking Moemoke about the 460 width, surely there is some squish room in the sides.  The Stratos seats are a bit to modern looking for me especially with the built in seat belts but that would be super handy. 

I'm thinking of getting the Cubs and just bolting up some box section between the seats and the Moke seat anchor frame.  If things are a little tight on the width I can just make the box section a little higher since the outward angle of the inner gunnels of the Moke body.

Thanks

Brad

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 11:15:32 AM »
The Stratos seats are a bit to modern looking for me especially with the built in seat belts but that would be super handy. 

The seat mounts aren't engineered or strong enough to support built in seat belts, in a decent accident you and the seat would rip out the mounts and depart the vehicle. It is just four 5/16 bolts in a bit of sheet metal and no plates, it is the heavier seat belt mounts that keep you in the vehicle.

And for a bit of irony the only legally registered Moke that I know of with integrated seat belts is the Moke Ambulance in Tasmania which has two SAAS ambulance seats mounted one behind the other. I don't know if they did anything special to strengthen the mounts.

Terry