Author Topic: Maystro's rollcage  (Read 505 times)

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Maystro's rollcage
« on: September 03, 2020, 11:21:10 PM »

I like the look of this roll bar because it looks like it is only 2 inch steel so fits in the existing front roll bar mount points which makes things a lot easier with the 2 top cover plates,  which really limit you placing the bars anywhere else.

On this note,  what do you guys recomend the roll bars being made of,  steel or aluminium? 

Is aliminum even legal if your fitting seat belts to the bars?   

Thanks

Brad

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Maystro's rollcage
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 11:34:17 PM »
Oh yeah I took this photo in 2007 at the Shepparton Moke muster,  this Moke won the people's choice for some obscure reason,  it looks a bit silly to me.   The guy must have a big box of wheel bearings.

But I do like the seats so if anyone has some of these old seat frames( 1968 - 1970) up for sale,  let me know.

Thanks

Brad.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 07:48:21 AM »
Hi,

Meane didn't win Peoples choice, that honour was taking by MOKEGR. And the Muster was in 2006, not 2007.

The seat frames are 1966-1971 and can legally only be used in the rear of your 1980 Moke because they do not have a headrest.

Terry

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 03:23:46 PM »
Hi,

My Moke is a 1981 not a 1980.

Brad

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
Hi Terry,

Are you sure I can't fit the low back seats.  I thought if I only had 2 front seats and no back seats then I'm considered a commercial vehicle so ADR22 doesn't apply?   

I just want the correct answer from someone to say yay or nay. 

Anyway on a more important question which I need a quick answer because I have a boiler maker standing by ready to make a new roll cage for me.  I found this Moke which has a really nice/different roll cage which I thought would suit one of those bikini hoods.  I was thinking of putting a small uplifting centre bar between the windscreen and the bar to keep the top tight. 

Last thing I want is flapping from the bikini top ;-)

One problem I see is trying to mount retractable 3 point seat belts.  Does any one see any other problems with this set up?

Thanks

Brad

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 09:47:44 PM »
that is a nice moke and the bar looks ok but I would prefer a bit of a curve in the
 front to rear bars and the back cross bar a bit higher than the front, it would probably need a cross bar
between front and rear to stop flapping and a lake forming if you were ever parked in the rain.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
Hi Terry,

Are you sure I can't fit the low back seats.  I thought if I only had 2 front seats and no back seats then I'm considered a commercial vehicle so ADR22 doesn't apply?   

You might need to consult some local engineering/registration advice as the ADR's can be be conflicting. Just because you have two seats it doesn't make your Moke a commercial vehicle, it can still be registered as a utility or a coupe. There is also another reference given to me by an engineer here in Victoria that you can't have a commercial vehicle under 1000kg.

Terry

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 08:48:06 PM »
Thanks Terry,

Semantics  I reckon.   You would have to be very unlucky for the constabulary or dept. of Transport even pulling up a mild mannered Moke.

Anyway you've convinced me just to stick with my tombstone style seats which should work with my new roll cage I would like to install. 

Brad

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 09:46:00 PM »
Hi,

This new roll cage I want to install involves removal of the two side 1/4 windscreen panels. 

The earlier Mokes never even had these panels.  Do these 1/4 panels do much for wind deflection and if so should I try to alter the design of the front bars so that I keep the 1/4 side panels. 

Thanks

Brad

winabbey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
I thought if I only had 2 front seats and no back seats then I'm considered a commercial vehicle so ADR22 doesn't apply?   
The applicable ADR's for your vehicle are stamped on the ADR Compliance plate (assuming it was made in 1970 or later). If 22 is listed it applies.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:21:16 AM by winabbey »

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 10:38:56 PM »
Hi,

This new roll cage I want to install involves removal of the two side 1/4 windscreen panels. 

The earlier Mokes never even had these panels.  Do these 1/4 panels do much for wind deflection and if so should I try to alter the design of the front bars so that I keep the 1/4 side panels. 

Thanks

Brad

Those side wind deflectors make a huge difference to the turbulence,  especially at higher speeds.  When I first got my moke,  the side screens were in a bad way,  so I pulled them off.  I soon organised some new ones for it  as it was very uncomfortable to drive without them.

You will also get extremely wet driving in the rain, as it actually gets pulled into the vehicle without the side screens on.

By the way,  the early Mokes did have a version of them.  They were made out of vinyl to match the hood.  The problem with those ones were that they created surprisingly large blind spots.

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 08:35:16 PM »
And I'll add to Newies' comment,
Every time you turn left, on damp roads, you get a face full of water off the wheels.

The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 08:58:54 PM »
Thanks guy's,

This is the information which makes this forum so valuable, first hand experience. 

The 1/4 side window deflectors are definitely staying then. 

I'll rejig my roll cage design.  A good working design comes before aesthetics if you have a nice flap free ride, only a Moker would understand ;-)

Brad

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 11:17:54 AM »
Hi,

the other thing to watch for with the front posts is if it obstructs the view to the side mirrors.

Terry