Author Topic: Metal air filter housing  (Read 394 times)

rockyandbullwinkle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Metal air filter housing
« on: September 23, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »
G'day,
First up - I'm not a Moke owner but I do have its little brother - a 1963 Mini 850. I've just about finished a bare metal resto on Minnie and hoping someone here can help me with a part I'm looking for.

I've fitted a single 1 1/2" SU (HS4) instead of a pair of mismatched HS2's and I've run into a slight issue trying to get a suitable air cleaner to fit that doesn't foul on the speedo cable. I have tried one of the pancake types but it's no good so I'm going to fit an original air filter housing that was fitted to later Minis I think, Mokes and Morris 1100S. Later Mini clubmans had them as well but they are plastic and don't look quite as nice on an older model.

The air filter housing that I'm after is a doughnut shaped one that sits over the top of the carby and you can see the carby in the centre of it. The plastic model is part number 12G4299 and I think the metal ones are 12G4298.

When searching online for one, I came across this forum and one of the members had a few spare at the time. I'm hoping he might read this and still have one he'd like to part with.

Cheers, Rocky

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: Metal air filter housing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
G'day Rocky,

I dont think I've ever seen a metal single HS4( 1 1/2") air cleaner housing. The many I've come across have all been plastic.
I know there is a metal one for the HS2 ( 1 1/4") carbie.

Cheers
Halfpint
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

rockyandbullwinkle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:43:05 PM »
Thanks Halfpint. From what I understand, the metals ones were fitted to the Morris 1100S and the 1100 automatics (and perhaps the Minimatic) as well as the early Mokes. A local bloke over this way that I've been getting a few bits off has one on an 1100S but he wants to keep the running gear all complete and sell it as a complete unit. Evidently, the 1100S has a 1275 engine that is sort after for modifying. Another bloke who was into Mokes reckons the early models had them.

Somerford Mini (UK) and Minispares show the metal ones on their part lists but they are no longer available. The part number for the metal ones is 12G4298 and the plastic is 12G4299.

The metal ones look a lot better than the plastic ones, especially for an older model. Evidently, the metal ones also don't warp as the plastic ones may tend to.

I'll keep hunting - hopefully someone will have one in their shed.

Cheers, Rocky 

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 11:51:11 PM »
A few of us have the metal housings on our mokes, they bolt on the same as the plastic ones so no problem with fitting them.
I've picked mine up at swap meets or off a Morris 1100 I wrecked.
The early mokes had a metal housing but it was a different set up as they only had a 1 1/4 carby.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:52:52 PM by moemoke »
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

rockyandbullwinkle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 09:05:18 AM »
Thanks for the extra info moemoke. The Minis with an 1 1/4 SU also used a metal housing and perhaps that was the same style as the Moke ones.
It looks like I need to chase down places with Morris 1100's as a good start point.

While I'm looking for a metal one, I might paint up the plastic one and use that. It's been out in the weather and what looks like a clear coat on the plastic has come off in places and looks a bit dodgy. Minnie is just about ready to fire up after a 2 year resto so I'm keen to finally get her on the road.

Cheers, Rocky

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »
Hi,

the other thing to be aware of with the metal cases is that not all A117x compatible filters will fit in them. Cooper, Crossland, Ryco and Wix I think are all brands I have used.

Pretty much avoid anything that has a mesh reinforcement on the outside or around the inner the edge that doesn't allow the air filters to compress to fit the slightly lower dimensions of the metal container.

Terry

rockyandbullwinkle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 11:06:21 AM »
Thanks Terry - appreciate the tip. I thought the metal cases looked a bit thinner than the plastic ones. I didn't get to measure them side by side but when I saw the metal one fitted to the Morris 1100S, it did look more compact - both height and diameter I thought.

If I get hold of a metal one, I'll make sure I buy one of the brands of filters you mentioned.

Rocky