Author Topic: Another zombie member  (Read 354 times)

OCK66K

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Another zombie member
« on: September 24, 2020, 01:09:09 PM »
Hello everyone, I've also returned from the dead after a while away from the forums (seems to be a few of us lately!).  Been distracted by MX5s over the last couple of years, but now that I've got more spare time I've decided to get stuck right into the Moke resto.

Since last posting my '78 Moke has been stripped down, sandblasted and mounted on a rotisserie to begin the rust repair.  Looking to keep the body work as standard as possible for now, although I do like the idea of adding guard extensions and running boards. 

I've seen 1" SHS recommended for guards here - has anyone continued this across to make the running boards?  My gut feel is that this should be strong enough to support someone standing on it, with a few cross braces tieing into the sidebox dividers.  It would be great to see what others have done though so I'm not reinventing the wheel.

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Another zombie member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 09:01:11 AM »
OCK66K

If you have a look at my post in - Around the Garage - Rebuilding the Moke in Lockdown, you will see what I did to my side boxes re your question on side rails. As I had to replace the inner panels as well as the floors I took the opportunity to improve the overall look (IMHO). I feel the mudguard extensions on Australian mokes do not look finished and seeing how others have also made the modification, I figured I would have a go. As I had to replace the inner lower C shaped rib that runs the length of the side box I replaced it with 25mm square box to give much higher strength, then welded 30mm box on the outside of the box panel and also welded through to the inner ribs.
That lower inner C  rib is a rust trap from day one and was completely rusted out on mine along with the ribs that attach to it.