Author Topic: Just One More Build  (Read 716 times)

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Just One More Build
« on: October 10, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »
.   After much thinking I’ve decided to seriously rebuild Yellaterra one more time.  I’m sitting in the garage looking at Yella Terra  the bonnet is off and the engine bay is empty. The Suzuki engine is gone ready for a new adventure in the far far north of Queensland. If Leyland had kept developing the Moke, how far would they have gone? So, The last build of Yella Terra is about to begin.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:59:24 PM by yellaterra »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Just One More Build
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 08:10:47 PM »
Hi,

is it just Motor upgrade or are you changing the body  etc. as well?

Terry
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 10:30:59 PM »
Ian is having a bit of trouble with the gallery at the moment.
Dont worry, I will have him streaming almost live content soon enough ( well I hope so  ;D)

Wagga, bay in a day, Tasmania, Shep ....... finding the terra terarizizing many events  :)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 11:35:18 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 11:07:48 PM »
  Hi,    I’m always modifying something on Yellaterra, so, another motor upgrade is required.     The Suzuki 996, was a great little power unit, especially around town and with the five speed. It made it touring around Australia, while not fast, it proved to be reliable, from the top end of Darwin to the top of Mt Wellington, Tasmania.It supplied an average 1200km between refills on LPG.      But, when your looking at your last Moke build everything is on the improvements list. As many Moke owners on this forum know during their rebuilds you always try to improve the base model you have started with.                    Your Moke becomes a legacy off who you are.             So, here we go folks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:34:28 AM by yellaterra »

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »
   Ok,    I’ve made a big wish list now as you do for all Moke rebuilds.                 After discovering some serious alarming issues on  investigation of Yellaterra’s. forty six year old body.     A new box floor is definitely needed. Replace the triangle. A better suspension system would be nice, disc brakes all round instead of drums, two comfy mx5 seats, maybe power steering? Bigger wheels with wider tyres would be cool.     Sorry Terry.                     I’m keeping the current panel truck body look and the twin Lpg tanks as Yella Terra is the only Moke I’ve seen built  like this in all my travels around Australia. A much improved modern motor is called for with perhaps a auto  Well,  that’s the  wish list,  Now to contact my Engineer,     then on with the build.        One last time.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:39:47 AM by yellaterra »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 08:19:15 PM »
Bigger wheels with wider tyres would be cool.

Make sure you get the right wheels nuts this time. :)

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 01:35:34 AM »
    Have decided to totally reinvent Yellaterra from the ground up to get all the things on my wish list. This last build is not a restoration but a complete reinvention of Yellaterra              Had a Toyota chassis dropped off.                 So full chassis Moke for the last build, gee, my engineer loves my ideas??????, Really not. but, hasn’t said No! Yet?             So thinking     Lexus  turbo V6, automatic, power steering ,custom drop axle suspension on Lpg gas. New floor, firewall and no Bermuda Triangle is the plan. Just waiting on the Engineer to calculate the power/ mass ratio for approval. Game on.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:47:06 PM by yellaterra »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 09:33:48 AM »
Hi,

given that your plan is to now have a Lexus powered Toyota that resembles a Moke is seems a shame to me to break up Yella Terra. Have you considered leaving Yella Terra as a Moke and maybe just sourcing a Moke body to build your creation, that way if things don't go to plan you still have YT in a potentially usable state?

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 04:09:48 PM »
 Hi.    Briefly thought about it. But, I’ve had YellaTerra in std 998/4speed form to current modified 996/5 speed form since 1998. I’ve removed both complete subframes from the body and sent them off, with the Suzuki engine to FNQ for someone else’s project. Hi Rob,  Only the body is left here now and with the box floors gone. I may as well continue using Yellaterra for this last Build. Some trimming and channeling of the box sections will be required I think to place Yellaterra  over the Toyota chassis. As this is Yellaterra Last Build, it’s probably fitting to use my first and only Moke I’ve owned for this project. Sentimental value to me   Started  with this one, modified this one, and now with this build, will finish with this one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:45:00 AM by yellaterra »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 07:47:03 PM »
HI,

in the builds of this type that I have seen or owned where a Moke body is dropped onto another vehicles chassis they mostly don't get the wheel base correct or the ride height right so they look odd and not like a Moke at all which to my way of thinking defeats the purpose of doing such a conversion. How they handle, ride etc not like a Moke is another matter.

I have been following this conversion of a Mighty Boy which besides being a shed load of work still looks like a Mighty Boy, https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/restore/18692-the-mightyboy-is-it-restoration-or-hotrodding?start=0

It would be good if you succeed and make YellaTerra still look like YellaTerra did in Moke form.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 12:45:15 PM »
  Hi.         Interesting build of the mighty boy,       So Where do you start to really modify an existing modified car as my wish list really changes the current Yellaterra setup. I still want Yellaterra to retain it’s heritage features of the iconic Moke. Much has changed on what is allowed now since I did the 996Suzuki Moke modification. Many limitations are placed on modifications and are more regulated so this custom build of Yellaterra will now be required to be on a M Plate rego in Victoria instead of a general or historic plate. So, in the traditional modifying  terms Yellaterra is now going to become a custom Moke Hotrod build.            At only 890kg the first issue I have now is power/ weight ratio with this build. Hendo, my engineer has snuffed out the twin turbocharged/ supercharged Lexus engine options so a normally aspirated LPG power plant only. The Fun has begun?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:54:38 PM by yellaterra »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 03:09:11 PM »
Hi,

the casual change in the chassis rail height and the amount of chassis behind the wheel has me wondering how the body will sit without looking raised or having the spring hangers out near the bumper bar. :)

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 06:35:54 PM »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 09:38:46 AM »
    Now have the Moke body sitting on the Toyota chassis. Wow, Plenty of trimming needed to channel the body and a fair bit of chassis material still hanging out the back. Looking at the std leaf springs setup, they are not going to work. To get the diff back into the right location on the chassis we will be usinging a four link system with a panhard bar to stabilise the body roll. Aftermarket four links usually use a coil over suspension but not sure on legality for a modified production build. Hendo and I are looking at all Production suspension options available for this modification. As the Moke has a very short wheelbase, you don’t want the rear end overtaking the front end as you take off. In the end I want Yellaterra to still be a road going registered Vehicle, not end up a Summernats burnout Trailer Queen.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:05:39 PM by yellaterra »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 01:42:05 PM »
Aftermarket four links usually use a coil over suspension but not sure on legality. Hendo and I are looking at all suspension options available for this.

Have you considered using rubber cones/donuts for the suspension, I hear they work well. :)

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016