austmoke

Author Topic: Unfinished Business 2021  (Read 168 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Unfinished Business 2021
« on: October 16, 2020, 12:55:50 PM »
Hi,

time to start thinking about the next trip which I have dubbed Unfinished Business as I plan to visit a number places that we have managed to not get to in the past few years due to mechanical or biological reasons and being under home detention these past few months  tends to make you want to tick off a few more places on the bucket list.

The approximate plan, subject to change, is to travel over Easter 2021 to get to Maralinga for the tour we missed out on this year and then head down to the WA/SA border via the Old Eyre Hwy, but instead of coming back as intended in 2020 we are going to bust into WA for a few hundred km's before heading north to find the Connie Sue Highway and travel up to Warburton where we will take one of a few options to travel the old Gun Barrel Highway.

I hope to tick off Giles Weather Station from my bucket list also as we head into the NT to come in the back door of Uluru for a bit of rock gazing before heading up to Alice Springs to complete the unfinished parts of our 2018 expedition. Then back to the southern lands via the black stuff and maybe William Creek to fill in a missing piece on my map.

All up it will be three to four weeks with a couple of options for people to have a shorter trip if they need to.

Terry
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:18:43 PM by Terry »
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Mazy

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

Re: Unfinished Business 2021
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 04:36:46 PM »
Oh Wow!
.......Sign us up!

Mazy

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:34:08 PM »
I have been to Giles weather station, luckily on a dirt bike not a moke. I lived on a cattle station in the NT so have seen plenty of bad roads, but nothing like that road, it is truly atrocious and no way would I put my moke suspension across those corrugations and holes.  For the sake of your moke check out conditions first.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »
I have been to Giles weather station, luckily on a dirt bike not a moke. I lived on a cattle station in the NT so have seen plenty of bad roads, but nothing like that road, it is truly atrocious and no way would I put my moke suspension across those corrugations and holes.  For the sake of your moke check out conditions first.

me too, back in '89 in Landcruiser and 2 motorbikes in the back, the road from Uluru to Laverton was the roughest we had been on in our half lap including Cape York but I think it depends on how far behind the grader you are, I think we were 11 months. lots of wrecked cars on the side of the road.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Moke 71

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 09:31:50 PM »
Sounds good Terry, I’ve booked leave 2/4 - 2/5
Moke 1971
Moke 1976 - Daily
Moke 1978 Californian
Moke 1979 - AKA Thomas
and too many round nose minis

Peter

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:53:21 AM »
Count me in.
I will have to get the maps out and do some millage/fuel calculations. A quick looks puts the Cocklebiddy to Wartburton at just under 800klm which looks about the longest leg between fuel stops.

On the road again  :)
If you always do what you have always done
You will always get what you always got