Author Topic: 1973 Aussie Moke in UK  (Read 403 times)

cr0we

• Standard
  • Registered Member

1973 Aussie Moke in UK
« on: October 31, 2020, 08:43:20 PM »
Hello.

Thanks for letting me join! I have recently imported a 1973 Aussie Moke to the UK from Cyprus. It was my Dad's (he has lived in Cyprus for the last 20 years or so) and he has never got much use out of it in the 10 years or so that he has owned it so I thought I'd bring it over and fix it up. It had been in Cyprus since 1975 so fortunately spent most of its life in a fairly dry country.
It's currently a non-runner though it shouldn't be too difficult to get the motor running again. Brakes and clutch are a bit seized, and I might invest in a new wiring loom, then there's a panel or two that are rusted beyond repair and will need to be replaced but overall, it's in pretty good shape.
I'm excited to get going on it but my garage is a bit tight for space, and the rain is hammering down so it won't be today!
I'll post some pictures as soon as I'm able to get into my profile/gallery.

Cheers.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: 1973 Aussie Moke in UK
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 08:05:02 PM »
Welcome aboard cr0we.
Ive upgraded your profile so you can now share some pictures of your Moke with us.

What a history. And 1973 Mokes are very few and far between now.

I look foreword to hearing more about your Moke and the next part of the journey.

Halfpint

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:08:38 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

cr0we

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 06:27:35 PM »
Thanks Halfpint. Here are a few pictures to be going on with  ;D

There has been some 'creative' work done on it in the past such as extending the roll cage to the windscreen (and welding it to the windscreen surround!) which will need addressing, and some interesting wiring choices but I think it's a pretty great looking car.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 10:27:21 PM »
Ah!  the wiring choices  ::).
Unfortunately, these are things we inherit from past owners.
Thanks for the pictures, their awesome.
The roll cage is pretty cool in my opinion. A roof on it will look great. Welding it to the windscreen will make it very difficult to replace a windscreen, as well as many other things. But a relative easy fix if thats what you want to do.
The wheel rims are really cool, I don't think I've seen them before  :)

So whats the plan? A repair and resto?

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

cr0we

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 06:21:30 AM »
Yeah, some of the windscreen surround definitely needs replacing so I am going to have to do some roll cage cutting there. There is a top that came with the car which has obviously been custom made because the fold down roof bars are nowhere to be seen. The top anchors at multiple points all around the roll cage, including on the forward extensions to the windscreen, with velcro straps. The top is not in great condition though.
The wheels are kind of cool. They are early VW Golf (GTi I think). Do you have Golfs in Aus? Bit of a classic 80s European pocket rocket also known as a Rabbit in the US.

As for what my plan is, I just want to  make it mechanically sound, deal with a couple of problem rusty bits, and then use it (dry weather only though). I don't want it concours because then I would be reluctant to take it out for fear of getting it dirty. I want it to look used and loved!