Author Topic: Cylinder liners  (Read 492 times)

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Cylinder liners
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 05:32:09 PM »
Hi guy's,

I ended up soaking the cylinder bore with the liner raised as high as possible with degreaser, then paint thinners and let it sit for a week to dry out.  I applied the Loctite 620 all over the raised cylinder liner and slowly pushed it back it into the block whilst turning the cylinder liner to get an even covering as per instructions.  Left it for another week to cure, although I think I only needed 24 hours. 

Put a new Minispares copper head gasket with copper side up and now my Moke is running great again.   

I know this is only a temp solution and I am driving a ticking time bomb but it sure doesn't feel like it after my 60 km highway drive today. 

Anyway I have back up plan and his name is Matt Read who is going to build me a 1100 engine using rebored A+ block and 1100 crank.  At least this way I can use some of my old parts like my recently recond 12g202 head to keep the price down a bit. 

The thing that is going to hurt is to pull down a fully great running engine.  I'm kinda hoping it fails before I have to strip it down and send off the parts ;-)

Brad 

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 07:15:08 PM »
That’s great you have it up and running well for now.
Enjoy the season knowing you have a plan.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 10:21:58 PM »
Well it is still running so that Loctite 620 is pretty good sticky shit. 

I drive my Moke everyday to work.  So heaps of hot and cold testing on short runs. 

Just documenting this method does work. 

Brad

FNQ

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »

I am pretty sure ( well at least semi sure) that some of the newer liners use a glue of some sort as well as interference..... (slightly less interference IIRC) and it enables less distortion of adjacent bores.... the question mark surrounding these , is the effect on heat dissipation.. I wish i had a better memory of the conversation)  Good luck with your efforts . Darryl