austmoke

Author Topic: What Battery for my Moke?  (Read 152 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

What Battery for my Moke?
« on: November 16, 2020, 06:59:34 PM »
Hi,

I got asked today about what battery to put in a Moke and rather than just answer the email I thought I would put it up here and others can put up their views or experience with batteries.

I have been running the same Delkor battery for more than 8 years in DS and there are no signs of issues or noticeable loss of performance. There was no great research into purchasing it, it was simply all that was available in a small town when I needed it that would fit, apparently it is recommended for a crummydore. While it cost about $100 more than what I would normally spend on a battery I think the Calcium part of the construction and the fact it has more than double the usual cranking amps of the $120 batteries with interchangeable stickers that are recommended for Mokes meaning that it isn't getting stressed even when I am cranking it over to get fuel up from the rear tank.

https://www.delkor.com.au/en-au/products/delkor-calcium-batteries/58012-ca

They are a wide battery and only just squeezes between the factory battery holder posts in the side box, but the terminals are recessed in the top so it makes it hard to short out the terminals when sliding it into the side box. Where I would be lucky to get a battery to last more than three years previously this one has handled the deep discharges and rough roads really well in my view. I do have a kill/isolation switch fitted so I try to keep it disconnected when not in use so that might have something to do with its increased life span.

Terry
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:01:39 PM by Terry »
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: What Battery for my Moke?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:14:34 AM »
My choice for a number of years has been supercharge, and like Terry this is more to do with what is sold at the local auto shop than any research. I try to wait until they are on special and supercharge silver (seal, I think) have been my usual choice.
 I buy a battery for my main work ute before it is needed and retire the old one to the Mini where I seem to get at least 4 years out of them. I also have an isolator switch.
 Further to this newer cars with computers are hard on batteries as the charge rate never gets them to full charge. I like to charge all mine with a battery charger on a regular basis to get them up to full charge.
 Batteries that are left with less than full charge for any length of time will suffer premature failure.
Also, not sure this has any technical bearing, but the better batteries seem to be heavier than the cheap ones. probably due to more plates.
Cheers, Dave