Author Topic: Engine crane  (Read 873 times)

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Engine crane
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 09:08:21 PM »
Thanks Terry and Dave

What a great little tool and some ingenuity of a piece of RHS.  Heaps better than the special service tool in the Gregory's manual.  You don't even have to take the rocker cover off.

Terry,  last time I used something similar to your to straight lift brackets and I can see how your RHS bracket would give the forward tilt to enable the gearbox to hoist out better :-)

I'm actually a crane driver and have a heap of gear available to me at work but everything is big.  But I reckon I can wrap some webbing slings around my timber trusses if I lift the roof iron up a bit. 

Thanks  Brad

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 08:02:58 AM »
Hi,

with the tilting brackets you remove the left side head light bucket, 5 screws, and then you can remove the engine and radiator in one piece.

Terry

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 08:58:35 PM »
Thanks,

A handy tip.  I had to remove that same light the first time I tried to remove my radiator using the jack up the passenger side of the engine trick.  Since then I have taken the head off so many times it's not in the way anymore?  Not sure why?

Brad

HawaiiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 04:36:17 AM »
I've used one of these successfully to yo-yo the block in and out of the body four or five times.  Other posters are right about it interfering with the front wheels a bit, but ultimately it's not a problem.
You'll never know unless you start...

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 07:00:40 AM »
Thanks,

A handy tip.  I had to remove that same light the first time I tried to remove my radiator using the jack up the passenger side of the engine trick.  Since then I have taken the head off so many times it's not in the way anymore?  Not sure why?

Brad

That sounds odd because you don't need to undo the top engine steady to remove the radiator so the radiator should not move forward just up and down.

With the tilt brackets you should also remove the distributor cap(just so it doesn't catch) and the oil filter to get a bit more clearance as the back comes past the sub frame.

Terry