austmoke

Author Topic: Inertia Reel Seat Belt Install  (Read 170 times)

jervisbear

• Registered Member

Inertia Reel Seat Belt Install
« on: December 01, 2020, 08:24:32 PM »
Hi Team,
I’m looking to replace the original seat belts in my ‘79 moke with inertia reel belts. I’ve seat a lot about roll cage mounting brackets, but wanted to know if I could install using the existing floor mounting point which is back from the petrol cap. Read lots of posts on mounting brackets on roll cage but wanted to check if I could use existing points (noting length of belt I would also need). Floor mount point is between cage post and front seat. Is access to the back seat the only issue I’m facing or do the reels have mounting requirements too.
Thanks, Bear

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Inertia Reel Seat Belt Install
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 07:13:57 AM »
Hi,

I have mounted my inertia belts in the lower part of the panel but the original hole is too far back for my requirements.

The things that really affect the inertia belts is the angles involved because of the way the mechanism works inside the reel. The reel base has to be mounted vertically(you can buy horizontal mounted reels I believe) so if you are going to try and mount it using the original hole or at least on the side wall you will need to place a wedge shaped spacer to get the mounting face vertical. Even just the slight angle of the side wall is enough for the mechanism to stop the belt from being unwound.

The second angle that matters is the angle the belt leaves the reel  in that it needs to be square to the reel meaning the top loop bracket mounted above your shoulder on the roll bar need to be directly above the reel. Thus you need to know where your roll bar is going to sit before you can decide on where to mount the reel.

Terry 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 07:15:42 AM by Terry »
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »
      hi Jervisbear     

I have just had a rollbar installed into Yellaterra during my current rebuild, under the regulations and guidence of my engineer here in victoria. New inertia seatbelts were fitted in place of the lap belts from the seventies. The current 2020 regulations of inertia belts in an open vehicle is the seat belt can only be fitted top and bottom on the roll bar. They are not allowed to be attached to the open body. The belts are bolted through the rollbar with crush tubes inserted.  i hope this helps you. included are a couple of pictures of my November seatbelt installation.                                                          Keep Moking         yellaterra

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 10:22:13 AM by yellaterra »

jervisbear

• Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 09:59:55 PM »
Thanks Yella, good info on the cage mount. Think I’ll pursue the cage mount and found an off the shelf option online. Not much on the DIY but will aim to have this mount fitted low on the cage then get an installer on the job. Cheers, Bear

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 02:05:24 AM »
There are also a number of manufacturers that make adjustable angle retractors.  You can adjust them for horizontal and vertical.  This makes the mounting options much greater.  I’m not sure what your regulations are over there, but there are two types of locking mechanism available in retractors.  One is based on slow roll over licking, the other is on sudden stop.  Some retractors have both, some only have sudden stop.  Be sure whatever you buy meets the Australian regulations.  There are a ton of options and I haven’t been able to make the actual purchase yet myself.