austmoke

Author Topic: Clive Rebuild  (Read 172 times)

Barry

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Clive Rebuild
« on: December 23, 2020, 07:29:43 PM »
Hello

I've been stalking around the forum for a number of years now and thought it was about time I contributed something.

Purchased a "renovators delight" in 2015 and have been undertaking a on again/off again rebuild ever since.  Clive is mostly , as far as I can tell, a 1969 1100 moke that has had a 1275 engine fitted at some stage.

To date I have concentrated on trying to get the body in serviceable shape. As you will see from pictures below there was rust in all the usual places - when I purchased Clive I knew there was a fair bit of rust under the doggy panel patch work and thick tar that had been troweled on the underside but (surprise, surprise!!!) not to quite the extend that I eventually uncovered. Have done most of the repairs myself except for the replacement of the front grill - got a panel beater to do that for me and would have liked them to do all the body work but the cost was prohibitive.

I purchased a new wiring harness, rebuilt all the brakes and sub frames, replaced the copper brake lines with new steel lines and fitted new rear lights. Have not touched the motor & gearbox yet - it was running OK with reasonable cylinder pressures before I started the rebuild so hopping that it will be good enough to get clive going. I have a spare 1100 motor which was also running when put into storage about 5 years ago, so have some option in the future if the 1275 turns out to need work.

Clive pre strip and rebuild -

Ugly truth starting to be revealed

Even uglier truth!

But wait there's more!

Now on the road to repair - repairs complete to floor & new grill fitted

Subframes blasted and undercoat

Front axels and brakes rebuilt

Underside being repainted

Topside painting

New wiring harness installed + Clutch/brake master cylinders

Rear subframe fitted

Thanks about the current state of play - only now am I starting to believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel although it may still well be a train??.

will post further updates as work progresses

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Clive Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 12:49:01 AM »
Your Moke is looking really good!  Great job.  Definitely sunshine and twisty roads at the end of that tunnel, not a train! 😎

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Clive Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 10:33:49 PM »
Love it and the colour.   I have a thing for white Mokes. 

That engine bay looks smiko.

I think I will be asking you questions?  Well done mate.

Brad