Author Topic: A Series or A+?  (Read 265 times)

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: A Series or A+?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »
Not sure about A+ Coopers.
I know that all small bore A series (850,998,1100) engine blocks had removable plates.
The thermostat housing bolts show its a 1275 head, the fork holding the distributor and the ribs in the casting say its an A+ block.
The next thing to check could be the gearbox numbers, they may help corelate to a year model for the later Mini it came from?
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

cr0we

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 09:24:00 AM »
Hi.
Been out of good reception in Gulliver for a few days and just catching up.

Does it have removable plates on the back of the block above the cam lifters or is it solid?
HP.

Hi!

Thanks for helping out but just for a minute, let's assume I'm a total engine newb and have no idea what a cam lifter is or a thermostat housing bolt  ;D ;D ;D. I'm learning as I go here. I'm looking forward to finding out about gearbox numbers though  ;D ;D ;D

I must admit, that thinking it might be an A+ engine, and most likely fitted at some point in the car's history in Cyprus, my first thought was a mid 80s Austin Metro rather than a Cooper. I believe that from 84 or 85 on, the HLE model was fitted with a 65D dizzy but it's hard to find accurate parts data for such an eminently forgettable car.

Something that I noticed this afternoon was that my metric tools fit very tightly on all the engine bolts and my imperial tools fit on the other bolts around the engine bay. Which makes it interesting. I managed to find a download PDF manual for the Metro which will be a help.

Another related question concerns the carby. I have read that the 65D dizzy goes with an HIF44 and I have a 38. Does that really matter?

The thing is, my Dad has driven the car in the years that he owned it, though not a great deal if the truth be told, so I know it all works together, but I like working things out and finding the answers to puzzles. It's part of the fun.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 10:19:41 AM »
Another related question concerns the carby. I have read that the 65D dizzy goes with an HIF44 and I have a 38. Does that really matter?

The 44 in HIF44 refers to the throat size of the carby, how big the hole is through the the middle. 44mm is the same as 1 3/4" HS6 carby which is good for having more air/fuel in theory particularly for larger higher performance engines. The HIF38 is a 38mm throat which is the same as the HS4 1 1/2" carby which is much more common to find on a 1275 Moke so I wouldn't be concerned, the engine should get the Moke along just fine.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:22:54 AM by Terry »
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »
Hi!

Thanks for helping out but just for a minute, let's assume I'm a total engine newb and have no idea what a cam lifter is or a thermostat housing bolt  ;D ;D ;D. I'm learning as I go here. I'm looking forward to finding out about gearbox numbers though  ;D ;D ;D

I must admit, that thinking it might be an A+ engine, and most likely fitted at some point in the car's history in Cyprus, my first thought was a mid 80s Austin Metro rather than a Cooper. I believe that from 84 or 85 on, the HLE model was fitted with a 65D dizzy but it's hard to find accurate parts data for such an eminently forgettable car.

Something that I noticed this afternoon was that my metric tools fit very tightly on all the engine bolts and my imperial tools fit on the other bolts around the engine bay. Which makes it interesting. I managed to find a download PDF manual for the Metro which will be a help.

The thing is, my Dad has driven the car in the years that he owned it, though not a great deal if the truth be told, so I know it all works together, but I like working things out and finding the answers to puzzles. It's part of the fun.

The 65d electronic distributor was fitted to any and all A+ engines and is dependnt on age rather than size. However 1275 A+ all had hif44 carbs and the 998 had hif38.
I know from experince that an A+ 1275 with a hif38 is a pig to setup and get running properly and ruuns much better with a hif44. It might be worthwhile finding out exactly what size engine you have.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:00:21 AM by Steam »
Cheers, Dave