Author Topic: What have I bought??!!  (Read 180 times)

denniswatson

• Registered Member

What have I bought??!!
« on: January 18, 2021, 08:46:40 AM »
Hello Moke Forum,

Long time viewer, first time user. I am an Australian who has recently bought a part time home in South Africa (long story). I owned several minis while living in Sydney in my early twenties however was forced to sell up when I began working overseas. With the place in South Africa I thought I'd take the oppurtunity to do something I've wanted to do for a long time and buy a Moke.

And so I bought this;

https://ibb.co/album/xCJpQJ

I've acquired it sight unseen and am yet to see it or drive it; the photos you see are those which the owner sent me prior to the purchase.
All looks to be in good condition but I've honestly no idea what 'it' is. He sold it as a 998cc however my research suggests its actually a 1275cc. I've so many questions such as what the size of the SU is? Why does it have an early fixed grille yet larger late model wheels? It has California stickers but they look like they've just been applied. The paperwork dont shed any light on the year it was built.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! What further photos could I provide to better shed light on this Moke's history?

Thank you!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: What have I bought??!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 09:44:51 AM »
Hi,

It does look like a 1275 head on a South African 1275 block, so that is good. The carby is 1 1/4", a HS2, which is too small for a 1275, you can fit a HS4 and it will breathe a lot better. The wheels are not Moke wheels but trailer wheels that sort of look like Moke sunraysias. The breather(s) are not connected so that might be causing the oil leaks you can see in the car park.

There are a couple of indicators that suggest the Moke is built between 1968 and 1971, but these indicating bits can be replaced so best guess at the moment. You can find out more when you get the Moke home and can rummage around. The number on the radiator shroud or under the rivers seat will provide the details for it age.

It is missing the spring on the clutch slave cylinder and the left side engine steady brackets and arm are no there and for a 1275 on 12-13" wheels it would be needed to stop the engine moving about too much. The radiator expansion tank is incorrectly plumbed with the overflow outlet connected and not the pickup. Electrical wiring seems to be replacement job, not original.

The Moke seems to be up very high which looks odd but could be the wheels are only 12" and it has hi-los that have been wound right u or in one of the pictures you can see there it something else at he front and back, maybe it has been lifted on car stands.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:50:34 AM by Terry »
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
Hi,
To add to Terry’s comments, the bonnet is flat and off a very early little wheel Moke.
Cheers
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 11:08:56 AM »
Hi,
To add to Terry’s comments, the bonnet is flat and off a very early little wheel Moke.
Cheers
HP

The flat bonnets were also on the early 13" wheeled Mokes, circa '68 and maybe into '69. Along with the key in the dash, last seen in 1971, the flat bonnet is what indicates to me it is early big wheel.

Terry
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

denniswatson

• Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 11:40:13 AM »
Thank you Terry and Halfpint, thats a huge help! I'll get a better look around when I go and see it in person soon.

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 05:56:53 PM »
Looks like a great buy.
Not withstanding Terry and HP comments as they k ow more about mokes than I do but there are alot of later parts on the car.
The four fuse box and plastic overflow tank are after 76 , 78 ish as are the single bolt subframes. All these are rplaceable items though.
Keep us informed of progress.
Cheers, Dave

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 11:38:50 AM »
Nice looking Moke you have there.  There is actually an article about your Moke and it’s builder in the November 2020 edition of the UK Mini Moke Club ‘Moking’ magazine.  If you join the club you could probably ask for a back copy and then you’d have a few pics of its restoration as well.  The builder was Hilton Miles from Bapsfontein.  It is recorded as an ex-South African Defense Force Moke.  Good buy!

Canadian Moke