Author Topic: Moki Backfiring  (Read 217 times)

John OSullivan

• Registered Member

Moki Backfiring
« on: March 02, 2021, 03:16:30 PM »
Moke was running like a charm for months
Now backfiring and cutting out won't run properly 
I have checked Points and Plugs and firing order has not been touched  -put a pair of vice grips on main fuel line to see if it was over fueling (no change)
What I have noticed is the Coil is getting EXTREMELY hot
have ordered new one and condenser
Any feed back welcome

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Moki Backfiring
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 08:04:50 PM »
Hi,

Coils come in two varieties, normal(12v) and resisted(8v), and if you put a resisted coil designed to run on 8 volts behind a ceramic resistor into a normal system with no resistor then the coil will get very hot and melt the plastic follower on the contacts, or just get the coil hot if you have an electric ignition/contactless points.

Also check if one or more of the leads to the coil or plugs and rubbing on the back of the grill as this can cause misfirring but not the over heating coil.

Terry

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Moki Backfiring
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 09:03:13 PM »
John
You say the Moke was running fine and has just started backfiring, which is normally symptomatic of running lean. To test it, pull the choke out when it happens and see if it runs better. If this makes a difference at least you know that you have a fuel pump or carby/float problem. I went through this after the rebuild of the engine running rough and backfiring when I turned left, cleaned the carby and replaced the jet and needle(very old) no more problems.

Rgds

Jim