Author Topic: Boredom and Lift the Dot posts  (Read 131 times)

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Boredom and Lift the Dot posts
« on: March 20, 2021, 05:45:34 PM »
Jeeze I must be bored.

I am still enjoying the thrill of removing the dash/replacing the windscreen on my Moke, I must be drawing it out so I can savour every last moment of the job. Nah, I'm just procrastinating because it is giving me the shirts!  But there is light at the end of the windscreen frame.

My Moke has been fitted with stainless steel lift the dot double height posts around the windscreen, they look great but they don't do much to  help seal the top to the windscreen.  So while I had the windscreen off I took the opportunity to replace the double height posts with single height ones.  Does anyone know where to buy stainless steel lift the dot posts?  I have searched the usual marine sites and done the rounds of the boat chandlers to no avail, I did get some chrome plated brass ones that would be usable if I elongated the mounting holes by about 1 mm.

Long story longer, I ended up shaping a parting tool to groove the old double height ones so they can be used as single posts.

Told you I was bored.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: Boredom and Lift the Dot posts
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 07:51:54 PM »
G'day Dave,
The longer posts accommodate the extra height of the strap eyelet, I dont think you will fit it and the roof lift a dot on the shorter post.
I had to replace a couple of posts when I was working on Gulivers roof, but my local upholsterer had some luckily.
HP 
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 08:27:48 PM »
Hi HP,

Yeah I left 3 long ones on, 2 for the straps and one in the middle for a rubber door stop rubber that is also double height to accommodate the scoop height.  Has your trimmer got stainless steel Lift the dot posts?  I can only find chrome plated brass ones.

Is there any harm in using an air powered pop rivet gun on the windscreen frame.  I have been thinking that the shock of the action of the riveter might be a bit much for the glass?

Cheers
Dave

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 08:25:31 AM »
Hi Guys and Girls,

Just a quick one, did Mokes ever come with a stainless steel windscreen frame from the factory?   My frame seems to be stainless steel but  painted black, not polished

I know there are after market polished frames on ebay or are these just std frames polished?

Cheers
Dave

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 08:40:34 PM »
they were never stainless from the factory, the chinese made stainless ones though.
yours is a gal one which may have being polished from the roof rubbing on it.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 04:42:58 AM »
Hi Moe,

yep that adds up now, mine will be a Chinese frame.  Maybe i should pull it off again, just for the practice and polish it.

Thank you.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 05:18:11 PM »
Hi Moe

Thanks to you I just had an epiphany, if the frame is Choke then the stainless lift the dot posts probably came with the frame.  That could explain why I can't find the stainless posts anywhere and why the grooves in the posts are a bit shallow.  I wonder if the choke copy lift the dot posts come in single height?

Dave