austmoke

Author Topic: Moke dash lights  (Read 300 times)

Stephen

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Moke dash lights
« on: April 07, 2021, 07:43:50 PM »
Hi all,
I am going to have a go at drawing up and 3D printing some dash warning lights for my 81 moke in the original style.
I would really appreciate if anyone has some spares if they could post a few closeup photos preferably with a ruler in the shot for scale.

I have seen a few photos and have a good idea how the lamp holder clips in the bezel but cant workout where the lens clips in.
If all goes well happy to share the files.
Thanks

Canadian Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Moke dash lights
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 11:08:30 AM »
Great idea!  I was just thinking about this yesterday.  The ones on my 82 are very warn and cracked.  I was thinking of fabricating some up in steel and then started thinking about 3D printing.  Definitely not something I know anything about.  Please post how the progress goes!

Canadian Moke

Stephen

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 01:27:42 PM »
I have made a start on the bezel and the basic shape actually only took a few minutes.
I am totally guessing dimensions but the model has been designed parametrically so once I have some accurate numbers I just punch them into the software and everything will adjust accordingly.

All I have as a basis at this stage is this photo

It looks like the bezel might actually have a slight taper from back to front, hard to tell from the photo. Would really like a a few minutes with one and a Vernier calliper.

ozmini

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »
Stephen I have some broken lights at home and would be happy to provide these as templates for you. Can provide a bezel, lamp holder and a lens.

PM me an address and I will post ASAP. currently away from home till tomorrow evening but will be able to post before Monday12th April.

Regards
John Kornbrekke.

Stephen

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:12:16 AM »
Thanks John that sounds great.

I will try to make two version of these. One that fits the existing lamp holder as I get the impression the lamp holder tends to survive with the bezel and lens breaking apart.  The second will be made to suit a lamp holder that can be easily sourced as a replacement for those who don't have any existing parts at all. I think this would be easier than trying to create an exact replica lamp holder with the metal parts etc.

Open to suggestions.

ozmini

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 07:07:06 PM »
Stephen,

A couple of shots of the bits I will send to you.

Regards
John K.

Stephen

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 05:41:15 PM »
Perfect
I should be able to get what I need of those parts.
Cheers

ozmini

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 07:37:34 PM »
Stephen, Package in post today.

Regards - John K.

ozmini

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 07:04:40 PM »
Stephen, If you push the "Brake Light" lens out of the Bezel you will see 2 little lugs that hold the lens in the bezel. They are completely missing from the more intact lens and I am not convinced that they are necessary. The lens seems to stay in the Bezel without them and when the light is inserted into the Mini dash they are quite secure. Not so sure that they would be as secure in the Moke dash though.

Looking forward to your end product

Regards
John K

Stephen

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 11:07:25 AM »
Thanks John
I really appreciate this and I will take good care of the parts.
I have created the CAD models  for most of the bits now so looking forward to getting the correct dimensions.
Interestingly it tool longer to match the font for the "Park Brake" label that to design the parts.
I have something close but was able to manipulate it using Adobe illustrator to get it close.
Cheers

winabbey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 01:36:49 PM »
Interestingly it tool longer to match the font for the "Park Brake" label that to design the parts.
I have something close but was able to manipulate it using Adobe illustrator to get it close.
Cheers
Did you use an automated tool to try to match the exact font? There's a few websites that do it if you submit an image with some sample text.

Here's one example - https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/
\