Author Topic: Moke weight and smallest trailer....?  (Read 1972 times)

SHIFTA

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Moke weight and smallest trailer....?
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:17:09 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm currently looking for a small trailer for various uses and was half thinking it would be nice to get a trailer big enough to put the moke on too. What's the smallest trailer anyone has towed their moke with? How much does a factory moke weigh? In SA anything over 750kg needs trailer brakes so that may prove the biggest spanner to my plan.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Craig

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Moke weight and smallest trailer....?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »
The smallest moke trailer I've used belongs to Rod "Moke-My-Day". Its a ripper. Rod's son designed it to be a box trailer when there's no car on it, but its tailgates fold down to extend the length to exactly fit a moke (or a Mini as long as you don't have to open the doors). Rod might be able to provide the approximate dimensions.

Legally a trailer and its load may not exceed the rated towing capacity of the vehicle towing it. Most medium to large cars will tow up to 750kg unbraked 1500kg braked. An overrun brake (they type that is built into the drawbar) is enough on a small trailer to make the authorities happy. A moke on any trailer will exceed 750kg.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:23:06 AM »
I used an 8' x 5' ( or maybe 10' x 5') tandem hire trailer to take my moke to the muster last year
I had to tie both tailgates up against the tyres as the axle centres where only about 2" inside the trailer, the side to side clearance was only about 2" also so it was a very tight fit all round.
A moke only weighs about 540kg so I think you could get away with a single axle trailer with some light truck tyres, for peace of mind a tandem is best.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:38:49 PM »
Further to Tim's comments, our trailer is a 7x5. With both front and rear folding down the rear one is held parallel to ground with specially made brackets. No brakes are fitted to trailer and I tow my moke with a Subaru Impressa (WRX). If I knew how to insert photos I would include one that shows trailer and moke.

SHIFTA

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 10:15:21 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm looking at second hand trailers so I guess I'll just wait and see what comes up. My tow car at the moment is a 1982 GH Siga Turbo so I reckon there may be legal issues.

Moke by Day, how do you go with the rexy - tow ok and is it legal to tow a car with the rex?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »
Hi,

Happened to be reading a manual for something else and noticed the weight of the Moke. It is 661kg give or take a bit of rust :)

Terry
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:27:50 PM by Terry »

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
If you have a really lightweight single axle trailer and a little wheeler Moke you can squeeze under 750kg.  But better to get one with brakes.  :)

Mine is 11 foot long and 5.5 wide on the bed.  It will fit something up to about the size of a Gemini, so is more than you need for a Moke.  It weighs 400kg unladen and has light truck tyres on Torana rims.  I picked it second-hand a few years ago at a swap meet.  The previous owner used it to transport a sprint car. 

Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado