Author Topic: Transporting a moke on a car trailer  (Read 2421 times)

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
Re: Transporting a moke on a car trailer
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »
I too got sick of hiring 20 foot 800kg trailers to tow a 10 foot 600kg car.  So when I found a 11 x 5.5 single axle trailer designed for speedway cars for sale at a bargain price I grabbed it.  It weighs 400kg empty with spare wheel and tool box.  Plenty big enough for a Mini or Moke, it will also take a Morris 1100, Gemini, Corolla etc. 

It gets regular use by VMCI and Ausmini members and mates etc.  Moke forum members also welcome.  The rules of borrowing my trailer are simple:
- If I need it, it's not available.
- Pickup and drop off at my place or otherwise by arrangement.
- If you break it, you fix it.
- Length of hire is flexible but please don't say you are only borrowing it for a day and bring it back two weeks later! 
- Don't mess with the wiring, buy an adaptor for your car if the lights don't work!
- Price of hire is a bottle of Kahlua.  :)

As for tie-down points, if you fit towing eyes to the front and rear subframes you have no issues.  You can either get the proper late Mini ones for the front subframe or grab some eye-bolts from Bunnings and weld them up.  The towing eyes also makes it easier for travelling on the tassie ferry or doing speed evens - they don't stuff anything towing the car or tying it down.

Cheers,
Brett
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »
They don't tie down on the ferry anymore. The new ones are so big and stable they reckon the cars stay put. Tying down used to take ages so they save a lot of crew that way. Of course every now and then they get caught out by a rough crossing...

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 03:04:50 PM »
They don't tie down on the ferry anymore. The new ones are so big and stable they reckon the cars stay put. Tying down used to take ages so they save a lot of crew that way. Of course every now and then they get caught out by a rough crossing...

Tim

That's terrible. 

Stay put?  Hah, I can easily slide the rear of the Moke across a smooth garage floor single-handed on sticky 185 Yokies.  If it got rough on the ferry it would slide sideways quite easily I reckon. 
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
Hi,

I snick a couple of truck chocks under Desert Storm on the way over last February, not that I didn't trust the boat, but my handbrake isn't that good.(Today my body man told me he repaired the handbrake mount because it was splitting from the  floor from my efforts of getting just that little bit more out of it.)

On the Magnetic Island crossing at the way back from Cape York, Kingas Moke rolled into the work ute behind because she just left it in gear and no handbrake and I just saved mine, inches from the family car in front because the handbrake was almost useless.

So tying down isn't that bad an idea. Do you have a picture of the tow point mounts on a mini.

Terry

13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016