Author Topic: moke questions  (Read 1800 times)

THE STIG

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Some say his first name really is 'The';
moke questions
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:00:58 PM »
Got a few (maybe allot  :D) of questions about my engine and the moke in general,

When I had the engine running the fuel pump was working fine so fuel was getting pumped into the carbi but it kept getting pumped and fuel started spraying out of the rubber join between that cylinder with float on the carbi (sorry don't know the name) and the metal pipe from the fuel pump to the carbi even though there was a good seal, how can I fix this?

Another problem i have to address before putting the engine in the moke is that a fairly major oil leak has accured in one of the cv joint that come from the diff on the gearbox, I think the seal is gone, if this is the case can i fix/replace it easily?

finally I was wondering where the spring that attaches to the carbi accelerator attaches to the engine? when I got it it was attached to where the exhaust outlet is which i thought wasn't right,

Sorry about so many questions but I wanted to post them all at ounce before I forget about them, just ask more information if needed as i know that i am not very clear in my questions  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:00:05 PM by THE STIG »
1973 998 Leyland agricultural Mini Moke : )
It is allot more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow...

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
Re: moke questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »
first question- either the end of the hose has a small split in it, near the hose clamp or the hose clamp has run out of 'thread' and is not tightening around the hose, it does seem to have a lot of excess 'tread', try a smaller hose clamp.

2nd question - at  guess, probably undo the big nut, could be really tight, take off uni bit and replace seal carefully
     maybe someone else will know more. all my mokes have the 'pot' type joint.

3rd question - there is usually a big plate that is bolted between carby and manifold that has a spot to hold the other end of the spring and to reduce heat sink from the exhaust. your carby is a mirror image of most moke carby's, the fuel bowl is near the clutch master cyl usually.

If you having a speedo fit a new cable before you put the motor back in, its the thing in the second photo between engine mount and the uni, cable is broken off, unscrew fitting on gearbox and screw on new cable.

good luck
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

THE STIG

• Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:12:42 PM »
Thanks Moemoke, your help is all much appreciated  :),
About the leak in the pipe going to the carby, isn't fuel being pumped to the carby all the time, more that it is using? which would result in a build up of some kind?
The picture below is the only plate that I have between the carby and the manifold except for an aluminum spacer, this only has one hole for the accelerator sleeve to sit in?

Also where can i purchase a speedo cable from?
Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:40:14 PM by THE STIG »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
Stig,

1) You are right the pump is always pumping, however it only takes a small amount of pressure to 'put it in nuetral' so a split hose or lose clamp mans when the float level shuts off the needle/seat the pressure in he line is never built up to enough, because of the leak, to shut the pump off.

2) There are two size diff seals, make sure you ask for the seal to fit the 'Rubber ni joint in a non-rod change box'.

3) The plate Moe is talking about mounts between the carby and the spacer on he manifold. I will see if I can find one tomorrow to take a photo of for you.

3) If yu want to see how fast the cows are running do as Moe suggests and fit the speedo to the box before you lower the engine in.

Terry

THE STIG

• Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:45:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply Terry, helpful as always   :) , although i have no need for a speedo cable i would still like one, All the ag bikes etc that I have on my farm have broken speedo cables (well most of them) and i would like to have one that works, i can also do speed  trials in the paddock (responsibly of course  ;D;D)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:52:46 PM »
Stig,

i can also do speed  trials in the paddock (responsibly of course  Grin;D)

If it is your Moke and you paddock be as irresponsible as you like :)

Terry

THE STIG

• Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »
I like your thinking!!, but i don't think my dad would appreciate ripping up the paddocks that much  ;D

THE STIG

• Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:02:26 PM »
Hi there,
i have fixed most of the problems that where asked above, i managed to find a spare one of the covers that bolt onto the side of the gearbox which the cv joint goes into to attaches to the diff, i cleaned it up, took off the old one a put on the better one that i had, these has (as far as i can tell) fixed the leak as it has been a few days now and no leak as the newer one had much better rubber seals.

the problem with the carby was fixed due to lid on that side bowl of the carby was missing that little pin thing that the float hits which stops the flow so the fuel was never getting shut off, I found a second top and put it on, problem fixed  :)

the problem about the spring dosen't really matter and i will just hook it to something that works really  :)

one more question, where can i buy a speedo cable from and can i use a generic one or does it have to be a genuine one?

thanks for all your help in the previous questions, it was all much appreciated  :) :)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »
Stig,

The speedo cables from other similar cars should fit. ie Mini, Morris, Austin.

Better to get a Moke one though as it will have the right fittings and and be the proper length. About $30.00 last time I bought one.

Terry
Terry

THE STIG

• Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »
thanks terry will do  :)