Author Topic: Do you need a heater for roadworthy?  (Read 5355 times)

suspend6

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    I took an IQ Test and the results were negative...
Do you need a heater for roadworthy?
« on: May 05, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »
I was rather surprised by a discussion I had at the weekend amongst some knowledgeable moke personnel. The question of getting a Victorian RWC came up, and an ex-VicRoads employee who knows the rules fairly well was telling me the basic things that need to be right.  You know, brakes, lights, horn, wipers, rust, heater........HEATER ?  Who cares about a heater ?  Well apparently VicRoads do. My machine came from Queensland, and the brackets for the heater are there on the firewall, but that is the only evidence of a heater to be seen. No vent pipes, no wiring, no switches, no nuthin. I never even gave the heater a thought. Just don't want one. My moke will most likely only be used for summer travel anyway.

Terry was in the discussion, and I thought it an interesting topic (if nothing else) as to why a heater was deemed compulsory. Needless to say, the garage that gave my Moke a "pre-roadworthy vehicle inspection" did not even mention it, so I guess I will be going back there for my official roadworthy  ;D.

BUT....... if you see yet another Wanted to Buy of mine, asking for a heater, you know VicRoads won.
Phil Kirby,
Recycling Afficiondo - "waste not, want not"
Proud owner of Maurice - 1980 "almost Californian"

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity !

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
Re: Do you need a heater for roadworthy?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:33:40 PM »
Hi Phil,

From 1971 or 1972 an ADR (Australian Design Rule) came in requiring demsiting on the windscreen.  In most cars this is achieved with a heater which ducts air onto the screen.  In a Moke the demister is pretty useless IMHO, so the heater is commonly removed.  (I left the heater out too!)

Some people buy small 12v hairdryers and fit them to the demister ducts to satisfy the legalitarians. 

Most likely the RWC inspector won't know it's supposed to have one unless you mention it.  ;)
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

suspend6

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    I took an IQ Test and the results were negative...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 06:45:18 PM »
Most likely the RWC inspector won't know it's supposed to have one unless you mention it.  ;)

Trust me, I won't utter a single solitary word.  ;D
Phil Kirby,
Recycling Afficiondo - "waste not, want not"
Proud owner of Maurice - 1980 "almost Californian"

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity !

seamoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Sea moke Vic
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »
Suspend6

When i took my moke down for a roadworthy about a week ago the mechanic told me to remove the demister vents from the dash or vic roads would require the heater to be in working condition.He said if the piping and vents are removed it did not require the heater to work for rego. When i took my 79 moke into vic roads in Geelong about 18 months ago it had a heater in it but it did not work and the demister vents were removed.They checked the vin number under the bonnet and that was it,did not look or check a thing on it!If they had of stuck there head under it they would have seen it leaking oil onto their nice inspection bay. ;D Either a had a really good inspector or Im in for a rude shock in a couple of weeks when i take my new moke in.I would not stress too much about your heater problem as i think that will be the last thing they will try to ping you on!

Regards Seamoke!
Life Goes Better With Mokes!