Author Topic: Replacing quarter turn fasteners on side covers  (Read 5680 times)

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Replacing quarter turn fasteners on side covers
« on: January 11, 2006, 04:51:53 PM »
Most of the quarter turn fasteners that hold my side covers and battery cover on are knackered. The slots are chewed out and they're very hard to turn even with a wide screwdriver. I want to replace them all with new ones but I'm not certain whats involved, has anyone done it?

The fasteners were made by dzus, which now seems to be called dfci. Their website is very comprehensive but they have a confusing array of products.

http://www.dfcis.com/st-1200/d5s.html

The fastener has 3 parts, the fastener, a retainer to keep it in the panel and the spring it fastens to. I will have to disassemble an old cover to try to work out what parts I need, unless someone knows exactly which ones to get? The retainer looks like the trickiest part.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 05:48:32 PM »
Tim,

There is acompany in Moorabin Victoria that has the replacement bits, I will ask around and see if anyone knows the name of the place.

Terry

Anthony McKay

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »
I managed to get two bits of information on this subject.

From a Moke expert...

"The DZUS fasteners that are used on the moke side panels are Type A size 5 in bright zink"

I tried to find someone who stocked these and they didn't match up with current specs. An Auckland racing car spares company got back to me:

"I do one that is 19mm over all 16mm under head AJ5-50 $4 +gst and spring to suit $2 +gst".

See: http://www.cardwells.co.nz/products.php?CategoryID=86&BrandID=63&PHPSESSID=6610d95a555c09e6bf87d89749ae584f

I have not yet got round to ordering as the pictures don't seem quite right and there is no mention of the retainer 'grommet'.

If anyone can come up with a supplier for a direct replacement I'd be interested in a full set.

tasmoken

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 10:55:17 PM »
Try this link , they may be able to help   :wink: http://www.kenlowe.com.au/body_hardware.htm
Moking
A Way Of Life
Unashamed and Unrestrained

Anthony McKay

• Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 05:22:25 PM »
From the manufacturer's page it look like I'm looking for :

SLOTTED: 1201-540-Z3C
(Size 5 Fixed Undercut - Slotted - fixed - stud grip 40 - zinc electroplate finish)

1271-5312 Aluminium Full Grommet (aluminium full-grommet for 1.2mm panel thickness)

S-Spring 1219-A5200-Z3Y (5.08mm height)

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 08:05:30 PM »
Yep, that sounds about right Anthony, the panel gap and spring height is a bit tricky to work out but the rest seems to match what I have.

Probably also need the tool to remove the old studs 9919-A-5 and the three tools 9916-1-15, 9902-2-15 and 9916-3-15 to insert the new ones

Now how do we get them? I'll register with them and see if I can get a quote for a small number of each size, but I suspect that they'll only sell a bulk lot. A group buy might work, or maybe we can persuade Terry that the club should buy 10,000 of them and sell us 8 each.

Tim
1955 BSA C11G
1969 Triumph TR6R

tainted

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Tim (of the not quite sane) Ainsworth
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 08:23:57 PM »
If you are enquiring to costs, let us know, there are a few cars that could do with replacing these, usallay not high on the list of things to do.

Timbo.
Gone Away, Gone Ahead...

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 08:49:54 PM »
Yeah if my car is anything to go by, pretty much every moke in Australia is going to need these sooner or later. I could only get 2 of the 4 covers off this evening when I went to measure them, and mine is a relatively young '77 model.

I've asked for a quote on 10, and also for up to 1000 of each component. The tools are really simple, they should be able to be made up easily or improvised but it would be handy to have one example of each one.

Tim
1955 BSA C11G
1969 Triumph TR6R

Anthony McKay

• Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »
I'll need 8 of each component as I've taken off what was left of all my fasteners.

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 12:59:42 AM »
OK, that was quick, he got back to me straight away, I'll try to do it in a bit of a table. Prices are US$ per unit. Top row is the price breaks.
Code: [Select]

Item           1           10         100      1000
Fastener     $225       $16.50      $2.20     $0.70
Grommet      $75        $5.63       $0.75     $0.60
Spring       $75        $5.63       $0.95     $0.25
Remover      $28.58    $18.19
Tool 1       $24.00    $15.28
Tool 2       $25.43    $16.19
Tool 3       $21.43    $13.64

What it means is that say you want a 8 studs its $225 X 8 = $1800, so its cheaper to buy 1000 at $700 and throw 992 of them away. I don't think he wants to sell them one at a time.

There's also a lead time of 10-12 weeks because he doesn't have the fasteners in stock. He has some of the bits and all but one of the tools, and quoted on alternative stud 121J-540-Z3C, but I'm too tired to go back into his website and try to work out how its different from the 1201-540-Z3C. He has 200 of that stud in stock and they're a little cheaper.

There's a lot more detail on the quotes, if anyone wants me to forward them, email me and I'll send them through. They're pdfs.

Where to go from here? Well unless Terry has found a place in Moorabin that stocks them, I still need them. Depending on demand, I'd consider ordering 100 - 200 of each plus the tools, then sell them as a set at cost price to anyone here who wants them. I'll have to do the sums but a full set would work out around $50 - $60 depending on freight and exchange rate, cheaper if there's enough interest to shift 200, thats 25 Mokes worth.

Tim
1955 BSA C11G
1969 Triumph TR6R

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 12:40:50 PM »
Hi,

Still trying to find one of the two people that bought some recently and i have fired of a few emails as well locally to see if anyone can help.

Followed a few of the links above and did some more searches and came up with
http://www.dfcis.com/st-1200/index.html

Which gives you more info than you really need. I will reply when I have found a name of the co in Melbourne.

Personally, if i am doing a rebuild nowdays I get rid of the 1/4 turn thingys and go with a nearly as rare dome button head and plastic washer for the side covers and battery box. Looks just as nice and less damage to paint.  As it requires the tack welding of a captive nut it is not a suitable solution if you already have a nice paint job.

Terry

Anthony McKay

• Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 03:04:04 PM »
The 121J-540-Z3C has a longer undercut (4.83mm) which probably means it would have more play when unfastened. I don't know how fussy people would be about having the original "fixed undercut" version (2.54mm).

I can't work out how the retainer works - I ended up using a cisel to scrape off my original retainers. Is it an 'easy' job to fit new ones? Or will we require a few spare grommets just in case of accidents?

The 1" springs seem to be a common item locally - would it save money to pick them up in Australia or NZ?

mmmbort

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 04:48:17 PM »
I replaced all mine some years ago and used standard circlips as retainers. These have worked successfully, are cheep and available. If the fastner is just stiff and not too worn or bent try removing your old fastners,  cleaning them up, and just use a new circlip, this also works fine

Anthony McKay

• Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 10:14:17 AM »
I've just been on to the UK Moke Club forum and I've heard back that they have some fasteners in their spares department.

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 10:17:57 PM »
Excellent, that would be a lot easier than getting a job lot. Any details on pricing? The tools are definitely something you could improvise if you only had a few to do.

Tim
1955 BSA C11G
1969 Triumph TR6R