austmoke

Author Topic: My impulse buy  (Read 37556 times)

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

My impulse buy
« on: October 03, 2008, 04:05:13 PM »
Hi Everyone i hope im posting in the right section.

My names Samm and im from Sydney (for those playing at home). I have only recently gotten my Moke on the road so I went searching for a forum or club to join as im keen on getting out cruising with some other Mokes and the like and seeing what other people have done.

I might just start with a little about me before i get into my Moke.

For me I purchased my Moke out of impulse. Im 19 and have moved from being a Corolla driver to a Old Holden man recently doing up a HQ 1 tonner as my daily. All that aside i had planned on pooring some mega dollars into a HZ Wagon but soon came to my senses and as a uni student with minimal income it wasnt probably the best idea.

My dad had mentioned how fun Mokes were and how he always wanted on. One night i was sifting through ebay pages and came across one for sale on the coast and said- hey why not?

I had some cash socked away and after speaking to the bloke selling the moke, he had assured me that it was ready for blue slip. So the olds and i sat down and worked out a budget and buying and fixing up the moke seemed like an achievable thing. So i bought it and thats where my drama's started.

She's a 1970 model with a little 1100 powerhouse sitting under the hood.

This is what she looked like when i first got her.

When i went and bought the car the guy also had a whole heap of parts he gets imported so we discussed things and i brought home most to all of the parts we thought i needed to finish it.

Many late nights followed as we got everything fitted up so i could try and it get over the pits and on the road. We encountered a problem in fixing the end of the hood bow strap to the rear of the car, you can see in the first picture how we got around this, a few plastic belt clips did the trick! We had to drill holes to fit the roll bar and as the brackets for the hood bow were missing, the brackets we were given when we purchased the car worked nicely.

Once she was all together, she failed magnificently and i was soon to learn basically everything in the front end needed replacing and the rear suspension wasnt too healthy either, this was where the first drama's started.

So with the understanding that i now needed to spend a a fair sum of cash getting it safe, we brought her home and stripped it to its undies to start the body work to give me time to save.

Ill start a second post shortly with further progress.

Thanks for reading so far.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:20:18 PM by Samm »

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

My impulse buy
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »
Once back home everything came back off.  I had sourced some 2.5" round LED lights to use as taillights and indicators, so we cut the appropriate holes needed for these and fit them up before pulling them back out again.

With everything off the repairs began.

Dad helped with miging up all the unneeded holes and any other welding. His mate who was a panel beater then came around and did the body work and nicky work to get the rest of it straight. I did as much as i could, which basically ment i sanded for 2 days.

We noticed a whole lot of bubbles under the paint which turned out to be rust spots over practically the whole car, it appeared that moisture had gotten under the undercoat when it was previously sprayed so it turned out to be a full bare metal respray.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:18:51 PM by Samm »

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: My impulse buy.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
Once the body work was done, the undercoat went on. I decided a 2pak paint would be best as it would be hardier and would last in the long run. All this we did at home under the car port which we turned into a bit of a booth. Luckily the days we decided to spray were nice and still.

Once the undercoat was done, we obviously had to refit and make sure everything still had a hole to be bolted, screwed or fixed to. This proved far easier than i thought and took next to no time. It did take a bit of time to sort out how to fix the spare wheel on the back. Ill dig up a photo of what we ended up making up next chance i get, i think its still on my camera.

Nearing the end of the work we could do i got stuck into sand blasting the seat frames, roll bar, front and rear bar, windscreen frame and the other bitties and sent them off the the powder coaters to get powdercoated. I figured this would make them easier to clean and more resilient to a bit of a knock

Then the car had its final rub back and repairs and was sent off to be painted.

Samm.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:21:34 PM by Samm »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »
Samm,

Nice story.

I am pretty sure I know where you bought the Moke from and if I am not mistaken it has an interesting compliance plate from memory. I am sure MoeMoke or I have a picture of it somewhere.

Welcome.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »
When it came time to paint my brothers best mate is a spray painter (much to my good fortune) and helped line up a factory to spray it in and did all the spraying for me. After much umming and ahhing I ended up choosing a maserati blue. I was a bit iffy about it when i first saw it getting laid on but once it had the clear coat and i saw it in the sun, i was stocked and im glad i chose this one instead of a slightly lighter blue i was leaning toward.

Once the bugger was home again and we set about refitting everything. As it only came with front seats and i had been given rear seats to put in it i took the cushions to my upholsterer and had him make me up a new set of cushions for the front seats. I put the old cushions what were still in good nick on the back seats and used the new ones on the front.

Only the bare minimum was put back on to send her off to get all fixed and registered. Before putting the seats back together we gave the inside of the 'tub' a going over with some gloss black enamel as it had already been painted with one long ago it was easier and i think it adds good contrast with the colour i chose.

Once assembled she stood ready to go to the mechanics to get her running right and over the pits.

Thanks
Samm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:26:29 PM by Samm »

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:48:46 PM »
Samm,

Nice story.

I am pretty sure I know where you bought the Moke from and if I am not mistaken it has an interesting compliance plate from memory. I am sure MoeMoke or I have a picture of it somewhere.

Welcome.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I would be interested to find out a bit more about the history my car and if anyone has any photos of it from before i got it?

Thanks for your comment.
Samm
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:05:31 PM by Samm »

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
And so after about 4 months hard work and a few more dollars spent than what i'd hoped she was finally on the road and registered.

Heres a few pics i took quickly in from of my house as i havent taken her to a good location for some glamour shots yet. I was stoked that when i punched in the number plate combination it was available, the have been sitting on hold for about 3 months.

I recently bought a set of smiths gauges- water temp, oil pressure, amps, fuel gauge and tacho and hope to have a custom dash and gauges installed very soon.

There are still minor things to fix like an oil leak and a few cosmetic things such as respraying the hood bow. Ive only had it on the road for about 3 weeks and ive been treated well with awesome weather which has allowed me to thoroughly enjoy those 3 weeks so far. Apart from a hiccup when the clutch housing broke and i got stuck but we had another sent out to us and the problem was easily fixed.

Thanks for reading please comment and let me know what you think.

Ill try and update the thread when i get things done.

Thanks
Samm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:31:16 PM by Samm »

Darth Moke

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »

Hi Samm, and welcome to the forum.

Very nice work, looks like new !!

Are those wheels the "choke" ones ?

Congratulations !

Darth

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 05:34:38 PM »

Hi Samm, and welcome to the forum.

Very nice work, looks like new !!

Are those wheels the "choke" ones ?

Congratulations !

Darth

Hi Darth,
Thanks for your comments.
Im not sure what the wheels are, as i said i bought them off the guy i got the car off. I dont mind the look of them, a bit more width wouldnt have gone astray but they will suffice.
Thanks
Samm

Bigmorgs

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 05:50:15 PM »
Sammy Boy,

Welcome!!

Nice work with the Moke looks awesome...

I can't believe the trouble you guy's have down there getting RWC!!

I got one the other day for the moke and the guy checked the lights,indicators and seat belts!

He even said to me :never had to do one of these before so don't really know what to look for"!!

Anyway you have a ripper moke as a result of your states hard assness...

I think after seeing your moke my rollbar has to go!!

Welcome if your ever looking for me I'll be in the help section trying to fix something HAHA!!!!
Why me!!

Ian

• Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »
Nice Job Samm  ;D

I love the colour, it was funny seeing a brand new "Cali rear bar" all wrapped up just sitting there. You'd get a spare arm and leg for one of them, I think I know someone who'd give you his aem and leg ;D he might not reply to this as he is searching the World at the moment  ::)
Ian
Victoria Point
Brisbane
Qld

74 Moke - modified BMW K1100 cylinder head, 1330cc thick flange (ex automatic), A+ crank & Rods lightened and balanced, 4 pin diff, intercooled Turbo. Baboon brake conversion, uprated steering/suspension,

HSV Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!

Marty

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 06:54:42 PM »
nice calif. bumpers  - they look great!

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 07:07:53 PM »
Nice Job Samm  ;D

I love the colour, it was funny seeing a brand new "Cali rear bar" all wrapped up just sitting there. You'd get a spare arm and leg for one of them, I think I know someone who'd give you his aem and leg ;D he might not reply to this as he is searching the World at the moment  ::)

Thanks, the sun really brings out the pearl metallic of the paint.
Yeah the californian bars look 100X better.

They sell the bars on ebay? I checked ebay the other day and im sure i found some for sale on there.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Moke-Californian-REAR-Bull-Bar-New_W0QQitemZ350104592245QQihZ022QQcategoryZ29695QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
link to bar

Thanks for the comments guys
Samm

Ian

• Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »

They sell the bars on ebay? I checked ebay the other day and im sure i found some for sale on there.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Moke-Californian-REAR-Bull-Bar-New_W0QQitemZ350104592245QQihZ022QQcategoryZ29695QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
link to bar

I'll let him know  ;)
Ian
Victoria Point
Brisbane
Qld

74 Moke - modified BMW K1100 cylinder head, 1330cc thick flange (ex automatic), A+ crank & Rods lightened and balanced, 4 pin diff, intercooled Turbo. Baboon brake conversion, uprated steering/suspension,

HSV Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!

Casper

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 07:28:07 PM »

Welcome Samm,

A great story to read, you've done a great job. I'm sure you are going to enjoy Moking like the rest of us  8)

Casper
1977 Californian