Author Topic: My impulse buy  (Read 37899 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: My impulse buy.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 08:02:48 PM »
Hi,

Samm bought his Moke from DaveG who is the NSW distributor for the Chokes which is where the wheels and bumpers come from and probably a few other bits. Sus doesn't want to buy new but he is aware of the bars being available in Melbourne.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »
Hi Samm and welcome to the forum, you and your 'contacts' have done a fantastic job with the Moke, looks great.
Nice colour but not mad on the wheels, need to be wider.
I didnt take any photos of this moke when we were at Dave's last July
(not sure if it was even there but then I wouldn't trust my memory :))

Are the various Choke parts fitting easily?, Side screens, rollbar, calif bumpers, even looks like a choke roof.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

THE STIG

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Some say his first name really is 'The';
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »
looks tops samm!!, Great colour choice, and good work all round  :) :)
1973 998 Leyland agricultural Mini Moke : )
It is allot more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow...

Ian

• Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »
but not mad on the wheels, need to be wider.

try and find some that fit and are larger than 13" and not minilite type, if you do let me know  ;)
Ian
Victoria Point
Brisbane
Qld

74 Moke - modified BMW K1100 cylinder head, 1330cc thick flange (ex automatic), A+ crank & Rods lightened and balanced, 4 pin diff, intercooled Turbo. Baboon brake conversion, uprated steering/suspension,

HSV Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »
Moe,

I have a photo of you taking a picture of the compliance plate on the blue one next to it so I reckon it is on your camera. It was the one on the left at the back of the shed.

I can't quite remember what was strange about, but i do remember we had a bit of a conversation and Dave was going to find the previous owner.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

dirtypaw

• Registered Member

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »
Great story samm at least now you know you have the real deal ....a great reference for buyers of all ages ...a lesson you wont learn at uni....must have cost a few cartons came up a treat  ...seeya
QLD REGO PAW 444
1981 1275 4 SEATER

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 09:57:04 PM »
Nice restoration and nice car Samm!

Welcome to the forum - are the mud spatts the CHOKE ones as well?

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 10:09:10 PM »
Terry, I got pics of the blue one but not sure why I didnt get any of the purple one. dont know why :(
were the comp plate and body numbers different?
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 12:28:21 AM »
Hi Guys thanks heaps for your comments.

All the parts i got off Dave (if those are the 'Choke' parts you are talking about) all fit fairly well. The Mud spatts did require a bit of fiddling with as i dont think the rear guards were quite as they should have been but with a bit of persuasion they fit no worries. The rear bar didnt line up 100% with the holes already in the body but it wasnt too hard to just elongate them a touch when we first installed them, i also got rid of the dicky extra bit im assuming was for a tow ball as i believe it looks better without it.

The side screens fit easy, apparently they are off the later model?? However we removed the angle from the base where the original screen was mounted on the body, one of the photos should show a strip of undercoat where the original bit was and lined them up as they sat, didnt have any dramas with them. The rolls bar was the same, the body of my Moke didnt have any holes to go off so we sat her on where we thought it should go and got busy drilling holes, the drivers side did impede on the cover on top of the battery so we plated that cover up so it was one solid side. When we mounted the roll bar, obviously we made corresponding plates out of 5mm metal to bolt through from underneath as we were iffy about it just bolting through the barely there sides. The roof was bought new off Dave also and once i bought all the right fixings and took it on and off a few times the hood fits snugly and fairly well, some of the stitching isnt the tidiest but it works.

I totally agree that the rims arent as wide as probably desired but i think they look the part enough. I havent come across a decent set of wider rims i like yet either.

were the comp plate and body numbers different?

All im going to say is that the number on the compliance plate corresponds with the one on the body, there were no issues getting it passed.

Thanks guys
Samm
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 05:32:02 PM by Samm »

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 10:57:24 AM »
Good to hear the Choke parts fit fairly well, Suspend6 might like to know that as he has been looking for a rear bar for ever.
You are the first on this forum to have fitted Choke bits to an Aussie moke so maybe people will buy more of these repo parts
Did you fit a Choke grill to yours, Samm?
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 05:57:40 PM »
Nice work, love the colour and the LED lights.  :)
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 01:28:51 PM »
Good to hear the Choke parts fit fairly well, Suspend6 might like to know that as he has been looking for a rear bar for ever.
You are the first on this forum to have fitted Choke bits to an Aussie moke so maybe people will buy more of these repo parts
Did you fit a Choke grill to yours, Samm?

The grill was already on the car when i bought it so im not sure if it is a choke item or not.

Im surprised to hear that not many people have used these parts before, i havent had any previous experience with factory parts but yeah as ive said no major drama's.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 08:28:52 PM »
I see whats happened, the Moke is a fixed grill type, someone has cut out a few of the cross bars, you can see this in some of the early resto photos. It seems that when you brought the moke it had a removable grill fitted over the top, I guess Dave G did this as the Choke grill is a 3mm alloy plate and would screw on over the top of the front panel.
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 05:39:12 PM »
I see whats happened, the Moke is a fixed grill type, someone has cut out a few of the cross bars, you can see this in some of the early resto photos. It seems that when you brought the moke it had a removable grill fitted over the top, I guess Dave G did this as the Choke grill is a 3mm alloy plate and would screw on over the top of the front panel.

Oh i understand now. Yes your correct, my Moke's grill is fixed and the bar directly infront of the dizzy has been cut out and the one above it bent (i tried straightening it but it didnt really want to play so i left it) and there is a removable grill screwed on top. I didnt know that this wasnt a stock item on it, i think it would look weird without it now.

Did a bit of fiddling around today with my dash in preparation for my custom one i will be fitting in the near future, once i get it made that is! I just made a few templates up to take to a fabricator to get the whole dash folded and bent up. The rest of my gauges should be arriving in the mail tomorrow so once they arrive ill finalise my design and get cracking on it. It may be a few weeks though as i picked up a new engine for my one tonner so that will be taking up most of my spare time for the next couple of weeks.

Ill throw some photo's up of the dash once things get underway.

Just wandering who else has done a custom dash and what designs they've used and how creative they got? I want it to look custom but also stay with the original theme. If anyone has some photo's i'd love to have a look.

Thanks
Samm

seamoke

• Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Sea moke Vic
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 08:23:37 PM »
Hi Samm,

Check out the old topic "Show us your dash" and you will find plenty to go through!

Seamoke.
Life Goes Better With Mokes!