Author Topic: My impulse buy  (Read 37896 times)

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: My impulse buy
« Reply #870 on: May 10, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
Hi,
I don't have the ignition ON or connected when trying to test compression and I have all the spark plugs out. It makes it easier to spin the engine over and if you have a leak between 2&3 it will show up as both will be low and quite possibly the same. The engine doesn't need to start so if you don't have a solenoid with the button on it, just take one of the wires of the coil.

The reason I suggest swapping both the lead and the plug as opposed to just saying there a good spark at the lead is because a good spark in the atmosphere is different to a spark happening under compression so you swap something that is working in a normal environment and see if it makes a difference in the faulty environment.
Terry

Hey Terry,

Thanks for the tip- was clearly shown incorrectly years ago! Will have another tinker when I get a bit of time and see what it shows.

I shall update us I go

Samm

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #871 on: May 10, 2018, 09:11:31 PM »
Well that sucks,

If I was a gambling man I'd put a few bucks on head gasket.

Hopefully I am on a winner, while no one wants a blown head gasket it's an easy fix, as you already know.

Good luck and I hope it's nothing more serious.
Al

I'm getting closer 150 BHP Vtec moke😁

Budget... I didn't know anything about a budget... I must have missed that memo.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #872 on: May 10, 2018, 09:32:46 PM »
Me too Samm,
Sounds like a head gasket.
But, before you pull it apart, do like Terry suggested and do a compression test without plugs in just to confirm it for your own piece of mind.
HP
Experiencing the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.
"As a Moke owner, you have a heightened awareness of Mokes in your environment, they were always there." 

https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=4727.msg161920#msg161920

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #873 on: June 20, 2018, 04:34:16 PM »
Sooo I rolled up the sleeves and decided to give the head gasket a crack myself.

Pulled it all down yesterday afternoon and with a quick phone call to check in on Terry got into putting it all back together.

The gasket hadn't completely blown but it had disintegrated between 2-3 and a few other areas weren't too flash either.

This is what I found when I lifted the gasket off

I dug out my packets of minispares bits i'd bought for 'when i get around to replacing it' and changed rubber bits here and there that had broken down or needed renewing.

The cooling system got a good flush and replacement of coolant and checked over the hose clamps and all the other rubber lines.

Then the dramas started. The thing wouldn't start and coughed and carried on so cleaned and checked the carby, checked the dizzy and coil/wiring. So after another compression test and alot of swearing realised I had 2 and 3 leads on backwards- doh! So turned the key and she purred away.

With it running I set about finally doing the Gemini Starter conversion. After stripping off the solenoid and unwrapping the wiring loom and tidying that up I went to put the new starter in and realised it fouls on my aux radiator- doh again! So I undid all my undoing and put the solenoid and original starter back in. It'll go back on the shelf and wait for when the new donk going in.

So despite the mixup with leads and the extra farting around I feel like the Moke finally got a bit of attention it deserved and quite a few things got looked at and checked.

My only disappointment is that I bought a Gunson Colourtune to sort the mixture but realised the adapter I bought doesn't fit so I couldn't actually use it anyway. Something to look at another day.

Back to saving for the disc brake conversion.

Samm

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:54:51 PM by Samm »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #874 on: June 20, 2018, 10:14:58 PM »
Hi,
one of the questions Samm asked yesterday was about #2 & #3 pistons looking clean and shiny while #1&#4 are black as. And the reason is that he has had water getting into the bores, or probably steam and that cleans the carbon off the insides. Looking at Samm's picture just below the black area between #2&#3 you can see a rough circle where there is a hole in the cylinder head water jacket but no reciprocal hole in the block. With the blown gasket the water would have bee getting under the gasket and spraying the pistons and bores while driving.   

Why I am mentioning this is an engine I worked on early this year had pretty much the same problem but the owner had been topping up the water and not really trying find where it was going for about 2 years, lucky for Samm his has only been a few weeks. When we took the head off, the side walls of the bore where damaged and further down there were 'rings' around the bore where the pistons had come to rest when parked and the water started to mark the walls all of which added to an expensive rebuild. 

So the moral to the story is if you think your losing water inside the engine look at it sooner rather than later or you could find it is going to cost you a lot more than anew head gasket.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #875 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »
That’s good work Samm, see, it doesn’t take long to just change a head gasket once you roll up your sleeves, exhale, and just get into it ;)
All the other ‘little’ jobs are what whittles away the time  :(.

Cheers
HP
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 07:24:19 PM by Halfpint »
Experiencing the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.
"As a Moke owner, you have a heightened awareness of Mokes in your environment, they were always there." 

https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=4727.msg161920#msg161920

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #876 on: June 21, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »
Ripper job Samm top effort and good to see no major issues
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #877 on: June 21, 2018, 10:51:34 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Haven't had the chance to take it for a good shake down run (which is well overdue) but looking forward to rugging up and going for a decent squirt to stretch its legs and test my work.

Unfortunately found a bit of rust coming through under the floor in a few of the PO repairs so those will be something to keep an eye on. I'm a little scared at what I'd find if I dig too deep underneath so won't investigate too heavily just yet. We didn't do the floors when I fixed up the Moke as they looked solid on pretty sound on inspection so copped a coat of underbody rubberised painty stuff.

Samm

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #878 on: September 11, 2018, 05:51:25 PM »
Well I'm stoked.

Been saving to put disc brakes on my Moke more or less for 8 years. Everytime I get the money together it gets spent on something that takes priority. There wasn't really anything wrong with the drums and I kept them pretty well adjusted so never felt I could prioritise the conversion.

But with some balancing and a healthy tax return its finally a reality. I left it with Greig Malure to do it for me as I'd not played with this sort of stuff before and the Moke was in desperate need of a tune, wheel alignment and a few other things.

He's popped some mickey mouse pads in it too which are still bedding but super happy with the pedal and the feel of it. The Moke is running gorgeously and with the front end geometry back in alignment and the 3+ degrees of camber wound out to a more modest 1.5 degrees it is soo nice to drive. I went for a bit of a drive after collecting it with a mate but had to get home to do adult things.

Just gotta sort the trailer rubbers and give it all a good wash, detail and clean up and I'm set for Tamworth.

Samm

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #879 on: September 11, 2018, 06:29:40 PM »
Good to hear Samm. No better feeling than when the Moke's running sweetly, especially with a big trip coming up  8).

See you in Tamworth.

Newie

Mazy

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

Re: My impulse buy no
« Reply #880 on: September 11, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »
Hi Samm,

What a fantastically upbeat and happy post :D
I'm really happy for you...
....looking forward to catching up at Tamworth.

Mazy

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #881 on: September 12, 2018, 02:49:32 PM »
Well done Samm, unfortunate part of life having adult things and priorities, the good things are always hard to put the brakes on!!
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"