Author Topic: My impulse buy  (Read 45161 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: My impulse buy
« Reply #885 on: August 26, 2019, 09:28:58 AM »
The 1275 in the corner of the garage is leering at me every time i wander in but just cant justify the costs of a rebuild for a car that is only intermittently driven.

Thanks
Samm

Obvious answer there is to drive your Moke more. :) And when fitting the engine, paint the engine bay. So drive your Moke more and achieve some goals.

Why don't you like the "split crappy black plastic tubing"'?   I think it is better than "covered in years of dirt, paint, sticky tape residue". :)

Terry

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #886 on: August 27, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
Obvious answer there is to drive your Moke more. :) And when fitting the engine, paint the engine bay. So drive your Moke more and achieve some goals.

Why don't you like the "split crappy black plastic tubing"'?   I think it is better than "covered in years of dirt, paint, sticky tape residue". :)

Terry

Hey Terry,

Thanks for showing an interest  ;D I don't mind the black plastic tubing I just think it can be bulky and doesn't really help hide anything.

I added a P clip to hold the wiring in place and have finished tidying it all up now. Just need to give everything a decent scrub and throw some black paint around.

I have tried to upload some boring photos but each time I get a 'not a valid picture file' message. They are jpeg's im trying to use so not sure.

Typical that we got rain this week as I had plans to do some running around in it.

Samm
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:57:24 AM by Samm »

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #887 on: September 16, 2019, 10:52:02 AM »
Well Saturday marked 10 years since I got her registered and back on the road. Time has flown by! Plenty of memories with some of you folk and many fun events.

Managed to get a couple of photos to work of the wiring. Its not the cleanest or prettiest engine bay but its 100x better in my eyes than what it was.

Took it to a local event with my car club yesterday- nice to get out in it and get smiles.

Had the fuel pump die mid week so luckily i carry a spare and swapped that over easily enough. Apparently you cant get the facet solid state jobbies anymore unless they're old stock so went with this other thing that buzzes away instead of the clack clack.

Looking forward to summer cruising.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #888 on: September 16, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »
Hey Samm,
Wow 10 years, sure has gone quick.
You've been able to tidy up the wires nicely, its not very easy to do, they seem to run everywhere. The whole bay is looking good  8).

Glad you were able to get a few pics in, its something thats really tripping people up lately.

Cheers
HP

The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #889 on: September 17, 2019, 03:52:40 PM »
Good job Samm

Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #890 on: December 23, 2019, 10:17:32 PM »
Hi All,

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Got the Moke out tonight for a run to see some lights and to stretch its legs. It’s only been run around the block and locally occasionally over the last couple of months.

Upon getting home tonight I turned the key off and pulled it out to find the engine still idling away. No dip in power. Strangely enough I had turned it on and off multiple times this evening without issue.

Any ideas on where to look first? Could it be the ignition switch? Literally nothing else has been touched or changed since I redid most of the wiring and I’ve not had a drama. Coincidently the battery was dead flat when I got into it this evening which was strange as I started it and moved it less than a week ago.

Thanks guys and girls
Samm

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #891 on: December 24, 2019, 07:37:01 AM »
Hi,

pulling the key out while it is running isn't that uncommon, a worn barrel after50 years, but the first thing to check is the key back in the Lock position?

In theory the ignition you have cut out when the key went back past Aux, but sometimes people, me included, wire it up wrong and ignition goes down the Aux position as well.

If the barrel is in the Lock position use a multimeter on Ohms to check wiring coming out of  the ignition switch. Undo the four wire plug and put one probe on the terminal with the fat brown wire and the other probe on each of the other three wires/terminals. You should get no circuit, but you may find one of the white wires is creating a circuit and if so you have an issue inside the barrel assembly.

If that checks out okay, then you may have something finding power to the coil that shouldn't be, so start at the '+' side of the coil, with the ignition off, and see if you have 12v +.

Or maybe just leave out some cookies and milk and see if it is fixed for you tomorrow morning.

Terry

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #892 on: December 24, 2019, 08:09:33 AM »
Hey Terry,

It’s a new cut key and yes the ignition was in the lock position when the key was removed. It has been running and working fine literally up until I pulled into the garage last night so doubt it’s anything to do with my rewiring but perhaps something has shaken loose or moved.

I will have another look today and throw a test light around and see what happens.

Thanks heaps
Samm

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #893 on: December 24, 2019, 06:03:43 PM »
Update.

Went to throw a test light on it this morning- both wires had constant power with the ignition off. Second turn it went back to working as it should so couldn’t really test for any more faults. I checked the wiring for wear/shorting and nothing.

The mystery continues.

Samm

Bigmorgs

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #894 on: December 24, 2019, 09:21:03 PM »
Can be timing and air fuel mixture. I've had this as my beast runs rich cause of the cam i have.

From someone smarter than me..

The simplest causes are that the wrong grade of petrol is being used (usually of too low octane ), the spark plugs are faulty or of the wrong grade, the carburettor is badly out of tune, or the ignition timing is faulty. You should check all these before going on to consider more serious causes such as excessive carbon build-up.
Why me!!