Author Topic: WA Mokes  (Read 3473 times)

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
WA Mokes
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:21:42 AM »
Spotted a nice white moke in McCabe Street/Palmerston Street, Mosman Park, Perth, around 9.30 Sunday morning. Was it anyone on here?

We were in hot pursuit in Arnold, but didn't want to have him confiscated under the "hoon laws", so had to abort the chase.  ;D

Cheers, Maddog.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

Kethro

Re: WA Mokes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:13:17 AM »
I have met the gentleman a number of times and told him about the site. He is retired and has a hobby of doing up mokes. He currently has 2.
Kethro

suspend6

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    I took an IQ Test and the results were negative...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:06:28 PM »
So thats THREE mokes in WA now  ;D ;D

Sus
Phil Kirby,
Recycling Afficiondo - "waste not, want not"
Proud owner of Maurice - 1980 "almost Californian"

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity !

Kethro

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:59:46 AM »
Good counting Sus!
Actually there are a number up here in the northern suburbs which show their faces during the balmy Perth summers and particularly in the evenings. The challenge is, and I guess it's the case all over Oz, to get the message out to them that this site is available to them.
The guys who bought mine were told of the site but I am not sure whether they will log on.
How many Mokes are sitting in sheds around this country. I was talking to an old mate the other night and discovered he had 3 sitting in his shed!
So yes, Sus, maybe 3 and about 100 at IMD, but what is the potential both here in the West or around the country.
Terry said when I sold mine that I would possibly regret it. I don't at the moment as it was the right time for personal reasons, however, I have already told the owner of the Moke that Maddog refers to, that I would like to know when he wants to sell it. 

Happy Moking
Kethro.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:36:07 AM »
How many Mokes are sitting in sheds around this country.
Kethro.

I have often wondered this and it is one of the reasons why I decided to set up the Australian Moke Register.
Here's my guess's. there were about 30,000 mokes made (some records say 28,000 but the AMR looks like 32,000)
I think this forum could probably come up with say 2000?             28,000 left
lets say 5000 have been destroyed in accidents or by rust           23,000 left
1000 sent OS                                                                       22,000 left  :o

These figures are just guess's but even so I think there may be as many as 5000 mokes unaccounted for. ;D

Anyone have any better assumptions?
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

dirtypaw

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:43:08 AM »
I reckon the parameters have to be set to determine the quantity.What denotes a moke for the purpose of count? A plate that can be attached to a body ...a body only ...potential mokes a pile of parts and actual registered  mokes .... ??? ???Possibly a more accurate method may be to use other vehicles with accurate manufactured figures and devise a formula ..... maybe morries or sprites. I often wondered if motor registration branches of oz would have stats avail by type /mfr to at least compile registered mokes but knowing govt department computer sys are never compatible ...freedom of info act? :-\...The secrecy of some collectors makes calculations impossible ;D ;D another point would be with 50% qld under water and 50% of vic in fire mokes would be floating away or melted  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:50:18 AM by dirtypaw »
QLD REGO PAW 444
1981 1275 4 SEATER

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:33:56 PM »
Forgot to put in my definition of a 'Moke' for the sake of this topic
I would just count Moke body's as long as it has a compliance plate and or body number.
most of the other bits can be sourced from Mini's and such and
we also know how many Mokes were made.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

mokeenetty

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 07:52:35 AM »
hi All, Just raced on to see how our victorian friend were going. Great to see you have been on Moe.My heart goes out to all in this horrid fire areas.  :(
Back to the subject-Andy W is in WA and is heading home with his White Moke(Strippee). It is a little wheeler with dark green stripes over the bonnet and body. It has just a canvas top no sides. Maybe it was it you seen Maddog. It's heading to become another Qlder  :o.Netty

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »
Kethro,

Thanks for the information on the white moke. I thought it was a long shot that anyone would know anything about it! I wouldn't mind catching up with the owner, looks like he has done a very nice job on it. You could be on to a good thing if he does decide to sell. And if you don't want it, I do!

Netty, another moke going to QLD? Aren't most of them there already? But I'm pretty sure the one I saw was a big wheeler, with an alloy roll bar and possibly alloy wheels.

Well, the moke count in WA is skyrocketing! Saw two more yesterday....

A sand/beige coloured Californian (same as on the cover of the Moke - Ultimate Portfolio) at The Esplanade, Peppermint Grove. Was this a factory colour? If so, any idea what it was called?

And then two hours later on The Causeway we saw another one heading into the city. This one was blue and had West Coast Auto Electrics signwritten on the sides, so should be easy to track down.

And then in August last year my daughter saw this one in Claremont, and sent me a photo (Which I finally managed to get off my phone!) .

Looks like a 4 seater with the rear grab handles. Very recently registered too, going by the rego number. Again, is this a factory colour?

How many Mokes are sitting in sheds around this country.

Recently found 9 :o in one shed, all going and registered! More later...

Cheers, Maddog.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 12:31:17 AM by Maddog »
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Kethro

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 12:14:06 AM »
Maddog,
you are right about your description of the moke you saw.

Next time you are down give me a call and I will take you over and introduce you - cost you a ride in your moke!!!!

There are another 2 up the road from me: one under cover and the other on a rotisserie. He hasn't done much on them for the 2 years I have known of them.

Kethro

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:57:19 AM »
Next time you are down give me a call and I will take you over and introduce you - cost you a ride in your moke!!!!

Thanks Kethro - that would be great! The ride in my moke is free.

Weekends in Perth are always pretty hectic for us, but will try extra hard to catch up soon.

Cheers, Maddog.

AWDmoke

• Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
With the warmer weather, we had three turn up for the SDMC Mystery Run last week  ;D

74 Moke Ute with Subaru EJ20 motor/drivetrain/suspension/brakes

Darth Moke

• Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »

AWD I had been reading with much interest about your subaru project.

it is complete ? Any pics ?

Cheers

Darth

Kethro

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »
While out shopping yesterday I met a lovely lady who has a little red 81 moke in good condition. She knows about this site and even asked if I was Kethro?? Good stab or a good judge of character???
So another moke in WA. How many is that now Sus?
Kethro

adrian

• Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 11:48:07 PM »
There certainly are a few in the northern suburbs... I live in kingsley and i have a feeling theres at least one other there.

I saw one pull out of a side street on trappers drive right next to woodvale shops but it was travelling the opposite direction! i only got a glance at i'm fairly sure it was a dark green californian with white bars driven by an older woman...

Ive been told that a red one has been turning up outside my school too! but although i'm looking out for him i've never seen it myself...

it just shows that there are plenty around!!! we just need to recruit more to the forum so we can go for a drive together!!!

adrian
1981 Californian