Author Topic: Mirboo Mokes mess  (Read 13452 times)

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
Mirboo Mokes mess
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:33:31 PM »
Hi all,
Seeing as i have had so many questions about my moke i thought it was about time to make a thread about it.

Currently i am at the stage of hopefully tying up loose ends before going for a road worthy (been along time waiting). However i keep coming across little problems:

1. My speedo aint working. Have pulled the cable off the back of the speedo and gone for a little drive (with the car jacked up) and the cable isnt spinning. However i twisted and played around with the inner cable (pushing it in and out) and eventually got it to turn a little every now and then. Just wondering what is going on and how i should go about fixing it?

2. Fuel guage sender isnt sending. Ive hooked the fuel guage up, tested it by earthing the wire running to the sender unit (the guage quickly went to full) and even manually lifted the float (with no response). I cant get the fuel guage to rise when i put fuel in it. Is it very hard to replace the sender unit? Can i do it without dropping the fuel tank out?

3. Brakes are fairly non-responsive. Have bled them a few times and adjusted them a couple. Am now buying a new master cylinder in the hope that like the clutch master cylinder, it has been worn out. Have already replaced all the wheel cylinders.

4. Engine doesnt seem well tuned. It will only start when i hold my hand over the air inlet (not particularly convenient) and doesnt really like sitting at idle. How do i tune the carby?

Hmm i think thats about all at the moment, althought its likely that i will find many more problems

Cheers
James

DYNKY

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    DYNKY AKA Mrs Moemoke
Re: Mirboo Mokes mess
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »
hi james points 1 2 & 3 seem pretty normal for a moke  ;D

Dynky
See you round the tracks :)

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:22:25 PM »
Hi all,
Seeing as i have had so many questions about my moke i thought it was about time to make a thread about it.

Currently i am at the stage of hopefully tying up loose ends before going for a road worthy (been along time waiting). However i keep coming across little problems:

1. My speedo aint working. Have pulled the cable off the back of the speedo and gone for a little drive (with the car jacked up) and the cable isnt spinning. However i twisted and played around with the inner cable (pushing it in and out) and eventually got it to turn a little every now and then. Just wondering what is going on and how i should go about fixing it?

Hmm i think thats about all at the moment, althought its likely that i will find many more problems

Cheers
James

Hi James I am going to bold enough to put in my 2 cents worth.
If you come from under the moke and remove the speedo cable then with a 7/16 spanner you can remove the drive from inside the gear box. I would near put money on the fact that nylon gear is no longer fixed to the shaft.  I belive these should be easy to pick up in Vic.  If you get stuck I think I may have one that is OKish.

Cheers

Dev
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

BrisMoke

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »
Hi, might can help with the speedo. If it is not the speedo, then it might well be the drive gear is loose/stripped. With the engine running, front end off the ground so one wheel is spinning check if the speedo cable is turning. If not then it will be the drive gear. The drive gear is held in by the cover where the speedo cable goes into the engine block. Should be able to obtain a new drive gear from a supplier - maybe $20-25.00.

Fuel sender: Check the gauge by hooking it up - positive and negative to a 12 v. source. If it goes from E to F when 12v alllied then the gauge is okay. Fuel sender cover is under the top cover on the LH side. Check the wiring on the sender - one wire going to the sender via the sender connector. If wiring okay then the sender can be located by unscrewing the fuel tank/sender cover - about 1/2 turn should remove the cover. The sender is attached to the cover so be careful taking it out of the tank. Inspect the sender....replace if necessary. If the sender is suffed but the float is good...keep the float and stem. You can use a sender unit from a Mini, Morris 1100 and most other Austins/Morris cars and attach the longer stem/float from your old sender using a small swedges (2) to your replacement sender unit. Mokes never register fuel volume with any accuracy.

Brakes....I am not so good on brakes, but bleeding is a tricky one....make sure the handbrake is off when bleeding. Maybe someone else on the forum can help with the brakes.

Carby.....sounds like it is much too rich if by running it requires you to starve off the air. There is a mixture screw on the bottom of the carby. Screwing it in (clockwise) leans the fuel. With the engine at runnning temp screw in the mixture until it begins to run slower/rough. Then back it off 1/4 turn and rev the engine to see if it is smoothe. Check the choke to make sure it is not engaged - which will make it run/stop if on whilst engine is at running temp. Also check to see if you are getting fuel to the carby.....add/install a clear aftermarket fuel filter just before the carby so you can see the flow easily. No problem if you have two filters. By having the clear filter you can also see if you have debris in the fuel....common problem with Mokes - rust in the tank. Check for rust when you have the sender cover off.

Hope some of this helps. Clyde

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »
Hi

Have tested the fuel guage and it is working, so i reckon it is the fuel sender unit. The description of the location of the fuel sender unit doesnt seem familiar, i have an old style top filling fuel tank (its a 68-69 non-cali moke), the only way i can get to the sender unit is from the side pannier which is quite difficult to get to. Had a bit of a feel around and it seems that the sender unit is held in with screws?

Is this the nylon speedo gear?

http://classicmotoring.net.au/cmos/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1170

Pretty pricey, can get a cable for about $30 but not sure if it comes with the gear. Tried to have a play around with the engine end of the speedo cable, pretty difficult to get to from underneath, is there a trick to getting to it? I can kind of reach from the top but the top radiator hose is in the way.

Have already put one of the clear (very hard to see the fuel flow still) fuel filters in just before the carby (just for the hell of it, fuel tank is pretty clean), would take a guess that there is fuel getting to the engine seeing as it runs (thats the extent of my mechanical knowledge). Will play around with the carby next weekend.

Is it a roadworthy requirement to have an accurate speedo and working fuel guage?

Thanks
James

Darth Moke

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »
Have already put one of the clear (very hard to see the fuel flow still) fuel filters

Same thing happened to me, it looks like no fuel is going through it, but the engine is running...

Probably normal   ;) ;)

Darth not helpful

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 06:16:03 PM »
Just read that the speedo cable can snap. Is it safe to pull the internal part of the cable out of the outer cover to check if it is alright?

Cheers
James

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »
Is it a roadworthy requirement to have an accurate speedo and working fuel guage?

I reckon you'd get away with fuel gauge - just make sure tank's almost empty.

Speedo certainly has to be working for rego in NSW. Presumably would be the same in Vic.

Newie

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »
I will go out to the shed and take a photo of the end of teh cable and the drive so you can make an educated discission.  In my opinion it should be fine to pull out the inercable gently.  If it is tight or sticky be careful.
Photos coming in a few minutes.

Cheers

Dev
Watch out for the Ant!

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 07:18:19 PM »
Hi james

shot 1 here is a picture of the end of the cable you need to unscrew at the gearbox end.

I think I managed to get a pair of vice grips sort of on it to remove the one I have atempted with motor in the car.  It is a horrible task.

second shot is the top of the drive sender that you are unsrewing it from, notice the small square shaft in the centre, that is what you have to get you cable back into when you put it together.

This is what you pull out.

and this is a close up of the top of your drive.  It is the nylon gear at the bottom that has a habit of becoming unattached to the steel shaft.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Dev
Watch out for the Ant!

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 07:41:45 PM »
G'day mirboo,
                  Heres a few pics of your tank to help you work out how to
take out the sender    Smokey

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 08:18:12 PM »
Thanks for the photos, just remembered that i have three spare gearboxes so might have to strip the speedo gear off one of them. Looks like im going to get some bloody knuckles in the recent future trying to fix these problems.

Here are a couple of possible fuel sender units, which sender unit do you think would be more appropriate:

http://www.minisport.com.au/prod402.htm

http://www.minisport.com.au/prod1053.htm

From what i can tell i need something in between.

Thanks
James

Bronta Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
James
I'm just over the hill at Poowong East and had all of the above problems with my Moke.
Send me a PM and we'll arrange a time and I'll come and give you a hand
Bronta
Can I get ready in time for Perth?

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 09:13:42 PM »
James, I thought you'd have it registered by now, last I heard wasn't the dead line Australia Day ;)

I'd try a speedo cable first, I'll see if I have a spare one. You should be able to pull the old one out from behind the speedo.
   Sometimes they get frayed which makes the week when turning, or they break usually a couple of inches from either end.

I haven't had much to do with fuel gauges but I think you have to take the tank out to change senders
    I might have a spare you could try.

There could be a couple of things with the brakes, its usually fine adjustment thats required.
When you bleed them is the fluid coming our quickly or just dribbles out, any air bubbles?

Tune up would be good, you've put new plugs, points etc, hows the timing? The carby thing may be to lean
or a small leak in the inlet manifold, Have you got the choke hooked up?

I might be able to come up next weekend, probably Sunday, maybe Bronta can get there then as well ;D
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Bronta Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »
Yeah should be available this Sunday, just let us know James
Bronta