Author Topic: Mirboo Mokes mess  (Read 13455 times)

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
Re: Mirboo Mokes mess
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »
I think ill now call it a 'flexible deadline'. Just pulled the speedo cable out, looks like it has been broken at the gearbox end, looks like a bit of a twisted mess. Going to buy a new speedo cable tonight, along with a new brake master cylinder and possibly a couple of other things.

At the moment sunday sounds good, will give a more definite answer later in the week (if thats ok).

Thanks for all the help guys

James

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 09:51:24 PM »
I'll have to get a leave pass from SWMBO so I'll start grovelling now (I've already cooked tea for tomorrow night ;D)
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 12:44:01 PM »
Bugger, leave passed denied as SWOMBY has to work  :(
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

DYNKY

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    DYNKY AKA Mrs Moemoke
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »
moe moke can have a leave pass on the monday of queens birthday. unless he can con one of his family into babysitting duty on Sunday. otherwise he might be able to go one night after work this week.

swmbo DYNKY
See you round the tracks :)

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
Unfortunately im working the long weekend so cant do queens birthday monday. Good news though, got all the parts in the mail today, will try and work hard this weekend and see where it gets me.

Chippy Dave

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Flying now
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 07:55:37 PM »
SORRY BUT HAD A LAUGHT AT THE BLOODY KNUCKLES COMENT ;D ;D
I'm on a whisky diet and I've lost three days already

//???????????

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 08:14:24 PM »
SORRY BUT HAD A LAUGHT AT THE BLOODY KNUCKLES COMENT ;D ;D

You can laugh now CHIPPY, but what until you have changed your front donughts with the sub frame in your car.  I haven't tried but most other things the like I have done with blood as part of the result.  This doesn't just happen in a Mokes.

Dev
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »
Hi guys,

Just a quick question: Planning on making a carpet front floor mat but i am struggling on measuring things up and making a template. Does anyone know the dimensions or have a template for their front floor mat?

Cheers

James

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 05:33:23 PM »
Just a quick update:

Havent done much on the moke recently, have been busy with work and social life, infact i think i may just have gone backwards :(

Decided to charge the battery seeing as i havent been running the moke for very long, only problem was when i hooked the battery terminals up after charging i did it the wrong way :( (must have been very tired) resulting in a heap of smoke coming from the engine bay. Looks like ive fried the thin brown wire going to the alternator and possibly the alternator :( The charge light on the dash continually glows now (not really bright, its more of a subtle red glow), even when the ignition is off. When i put the volt meter on the solanoid when the engine is running it only shows 12V, not sure if this is because i properly trickle charged the battery. Does anyone have an idea what i have done? I really dont want to buy another new alternator.

On the positive i have done some research on roadworthy certificates in victoria. I dont need to have a working speedo!!! Ive replaced the speedo cable but the thing still doesnt work. Think i will buy a GPS and work with that, any suggestions on a GPS that has a good Km/H readout? I think i have a few of things to fix before roadworthy: the new alternator problem, the joint at the bottom of the trumpet thing in the front suspension (the rubber has broken down), tuning the carby.

Should i go all out and replace the donuts, put high-lows and the other suspension parts if im going to replace the joint in the suspension? Is it very hard to do these things with the subframe in the car?

Thanks again guys, i dont know where id be if i didnt have your wisdom on this forum.

Cheers
James

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 02:47:10 AM »
Hi James,

I presume you've replaced the brown wire, which I think would be the sense wire. Being the thinner one, it would be the first to go. If so, I'd say you have fried the diodes in your alternator. The hard part is finding someone willing to replace them - most places would rather sell you a new alternator that won't come back next week for a regulator or bearings etc.

With your front suspension, I think it comes down to two things - How bad are your donuts now, and how big is your budget? How far off the bump stops are your top arms? It is easy enough to go to some of the parts websites and work out the cost.

Doing in the car is not that bad, just a bit more fiddly. You can pop the top ball joint and take the top arm out without removing the drive shafts or the brakes (or at least you can with pot joints!). And if you need to replace the ball part of the knuckle joint, you will need to remove the trumpet to knock it out anyway, so you are 90% of the way there.

Cheers, Maddog.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:08:41 AM by Maddog »
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

Chippy Dave

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Flying now
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 05:50:13 PM »
i am the only one who gets bloody knuckles.... got r/w with out speedo going  he never looked i said nothing  but would like to no how you go.... dave
I'm on a whisky diet and I've lost three days already

//???????????

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »
I think i may need to replace the whole nuckle joint :( the top rubber cover thing has broken down and the ball joint has become pretty gunky. Thats why i figured i should put some high lows in and do the job properly the first time. Do i need any special tools to do the job? cause i only have basic tools here.

Not too worried about cost, looks to me like itll be about $350 to replace the entire front suspension. The back donuts look pretty good (i reckon i can wind the high lows down if its sitting too low) and on the front from memory i have about an 1-1.5 inches gap betweent the suspension and the bump stops:

What is a normal gap? Do you reckon i need to replace the donuts?

Cheers
James

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 08:53:30 PM »
Looks good James,
If it is the top and bottom ball joints that are no good then there is no need to
change the donuts etc, you can always change them after you have it on the
road, although it does look a bit low in the front.

I'll try and get up there one day and have a look at it
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »
Its the knuckle joint (think thats the name) on the bottom of the trumpet? I think... The rubber covering has decided to split which im assuming will stop me from getting a road worthy.

Cheers
James
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:07:32 PM by Mirboo Moke »

Mirboo Moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    1968 998 moke
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »
Ok so finally got around to taking a photo of the joint i need to replace:

Does anyone know the name of the joint? and is it easy to replace?

Cheers
James