austmoke

Author Topic: sa mokin's garage  (Read 3236 times)

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
sa mokin's garage
« on: June 28, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
Hi Everybody

I haven't posted in a while and missed Mokefest due to family dramas and other distractions that life throws at you, and as a result - my Moke projects have been on hold.

One of my many problems preventing me from finishing one of my (4) Moke projects is that I don't have a proper place to work. Living in Adelaide does give me many days of sunshine to work under - but that doesn't help after hours or the weeks where we get rain or 40+ degree days. I have a two car garage with a one car shed tacked on the back that I inherited from the previous owner - but by the time I store all my tools, projects, Moke parts, and all the other things you accumulate as a 6 person family - I can't swing a cat in there let alone pull a car in.

So I had a bright idea that didn't end up working out very well - if you can remember....

Now that was fine if it was a cool sunny day with no wind - but after a windy storm the portable car port with sides was bent up and spread out over the backyard. Back to the drawing board.....   >:(

After many months of thinking and planning - I was looking at Maddog's garage in a post - and was impressed by the size of his shed. ( and the great contraptions he welds up!  ;D ) so that motivated me to do something about it.

Not that these things can happen over night - but here is what I have been up to:

SWMBO in the pic for scale....

And you can see that back of the old shed with the little wheeler under cover

There is lots more work to go but last week it arrived ....

And didn't look like much ....

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
Re: sa mokin's garage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 05:24:04 PM »
Of course with a little imagination ...   ::)

And this is where we are at today (with #1 son in the pics for scale)

There are a few weeks of work left to do - but I ask you forum members.... HOWZAT?

Can you picture the hoist in the centre bay surrounded by a fleet of Mokes??   ;)

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Mr Spotlights

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »
Nice!, you can squeaze quite a few mokes into that one.  :)

seamoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Sea moke Vic
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
Hi SA Mokin,

HOWZAT.......As my swmbo just said as she looked over my shoulder,Now Thats A Shed!
Great stuff,but I bet you fill it in no time at all. You must be looking forward to getting your Fleet in out of the weather!
Shame you couldnt get to Moke Fest you would have enjoyed it Im tipping.

Regards,  Seamoke
Life Goes Better With Mokes!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »
SA,

Nice to see you share your shed with the rest of us. What is the 'bay' on the right for?

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I have (2) internal walls that will separate Bay 1 (paint booth/area) and Bay 5 (SWMBO's leadlight studio) from the 3 middle bays where all the mechanicals/storage will happen. The concrete guy insisted I wait until he is finished before installing them.

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »
G'day Sa moke,
                     Thats bigger than my house!
So tell the truth now. Swomby wouldn't let you
have a shed unless she got her lead light studio.

smokey

Ian

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 08:43:32 PM »
SA,
Is that just normal steel in the floor for the concrete or have you gone for under ground heating?
Very nice, wish I had the yard to do that!
It's one very cool "man cave"

Ian

Ps, when you said leadlight do you mean the glass window type?
Ian
Victoria Point
Brisbane
Qld

74 Moke - modified BMW K1100 cylinder head, 1330cc thick flange (ex automatic), A+ crank & Rods lightened and balanced, 4 pin diff, intercooled Turbo. Baboon brake conversion, uprated steering/suspension,

HSV Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 09:08:07 PM »
Hi Guys

Smoken got it in one - in order to get the shed their had to be something in it for her - without it being contaminated with all my projects - hence the full height internal wall!

Thanks Ian - yes - she makes leadlight/stained glass windows and lamps - and the metal is just reinforcement not heating. :)

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:17:22 PM »
Brilliant SA!! - you'll get lost in there! ;D

Are you really going to put a hoist in? (That's cheating you know!) 2 or 4 post? Do you need to make the floor thicker under it? What are the wall purlins made of - C Section?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just doing some research in case I get around to building my new kennel.

I do like my sheds, and yours looks great. Have fun filling it!

Cheers, Maddog.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

Casper

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 10:53:39 PM »
Holey Crap! now I'm just super jealous! :o

Casper feeling a bit inadequate
1977 Californian

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 11:34:42 PM »
Very cool shed SA  :D

Maddog's right about the hoist though, you're liable to crack your concrete, even with Mokes, and council won't like it (if they find out  ;)) as it is. Not sure by the winking smiley whether you are serious about that or not, but if so here's some info you might find useful. If not, it may be of interest to others who are dreaming sorry planning to get a hoist one day

We do a bit of concreting and I poured a floor for a bloke who was putting a hoist into a similar sized shed about 2 years ago. He argued with the engineer to get the specs down as he promised he was only going to work on small four cylinder cars (he lied, he's a Valiant nut - poor fella  ;)).

We had a 4 x 4m section 200mm deep with three layers of F82 mesh (normally put F72 in a car shed floor) and 20mpa concrete, thoroughly vibrated. From memory, the strict requirements which the engineer relaxed a little were that the mesh should have been F92 and the concrete a higher mpa strength.

Even with the above setup he now has several hairline cracks around each post of the hoist.

When you think about it, a two post hoist which weighs maybe a tonne on its own (guessing) plus the weight of the vehicle on it, has half that total weight concentrated in a section of concrete about 300mm square. That's dead weight if nothing slips, but as with anything, accidents can happen. Also, apart from anything else, I'd want fasteners more than 100mm deep holding it to the ground  :).

Sorry to be negative but better to know now rather than find out the hard way later, although it may already be too late by the time you read this as it looks like you're ready to pour any day now.

Anyway, all that aside - very cool shed  8)

Newie

middie

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Wiz & Turnip Boy - a disaster waiting to happen
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 08:58:50 AM »
Yee, Haa  :D :D :D Really looking good, super jealous and all that. Trouble with all that space, is that it will cost a fortune to fill it ;D

Wiz
'Life isn't like a bowl  of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......'

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »
Thanks for the compliments fellas - New Moker I hear you - I had many debates over the issue of a lift and the various specs necessary and walked away more confused than when I started.

The dimensions of the concrete slab are 150mm - F72 mesh - but 25 mpa - which may /may not be enough. The cost of going 200mm and 32 mpa was more than my budget would allow. I am hoping that all the brick that I buried underneath the slab will help with supporting extra weight. (from a brick fence I demolished)

What we did was compact the whole slab with a 4 ton bobcat followed by a whacker - and then 3 weeks of rain (40-50mm over a couple of weeks) which did the trick. When we tried digging the holes for the shed pillars - we were unable to because the pad was so hard - so a Dingo with a large auger bit was rented to complete the post holes.

Also - while I am not expecting any structural cracks - hairline cracks are part of living in a region that receives no rain for 9 months a year. Your house walls - driveways - etc all suffer due to the lack of moisture in the ground in summer. As you say - a fully complete Moke weighs 670kgs - so spread out between 2 or 4 posts should be only adding a extra 160 kgs per point - I should be ok.... fingers crossed!  :-\

Maddog - C Sections were used for the wall purlins - and although I started out seeking a 4 post hoist - the budget is getting a good old squeeze by the electrician and large rainwater tank so I suspect I will only be able to afford a two post.   >:(

I am not complaining though - compared to working in the driveway with jack stands - I will be in heaven! (Moke heaven!)

The concrete was poured today but by the time I got home I could barely see (bloody winter sunlight). Looks great... still have the roller doors - windows - and internal walls to complete before I can think about moving in - and even then I have workbenches and shelving to weld... got any plans for those tucked away Maddog???   ;D

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Casper

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 06:49:23 PM »
Its confirmed! I have come down wit a severe case of shed envy. :( After seeing this and visiting a mate who just moved into his new home with 3 sheds. 1 double garage, a single turned into a pool room and a 3 bay up the back which has a bay walled and soundproofed!

Casper (SOB!)
1977 Californian