Author Topic: sa mokin's garage  (Read 3327 times)

Chippy Dave

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Flying now
Re: sa mokin's garage
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »
sa ....chippy dave here
                             to deter cracks cut control joints in slab 10mm will be fine no deeper than 20 do the 2 post either side of son no 1 to back of shed so when the slab moves /settles the cracks will follow control cuts and you wont see them if you get a hot day water slab as this will help cure slab and add strength
I'm on a whisky diet and I've lost three days already

//???????????

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 08:49:52 PM »
Shed specs all sound good SA. At least it's 150mm rather than the 100 I had imagined. You may get some cracking, but the F72 should stop any major problems IMHO. Chippy Dave's suggestion will help cosmetically too. If you have to hae cracks, they look a LOT better contained within nice straight angle grinder cuts than randomly wiggling all over the floor.

Regarding shelving, can you weld? I have been lucky enough to collect a lot of commercial shlving over the years (comes from attending approx 1,000,000 clearing sales) but before that I used to make up a basic sort of shelving which is dead easy, strong and relatively cheap/quick to build. Looks quite good too.

All you need is a pile of 30x30x3 angle iron and some ply or chipboard scrap for the base of the shelves. The shelf bases are easily removable/replacable, so I used some old packing material and some stuff scrounged from the tip and then gradually upgraded it as the opportunity arose. This way it only costs you the lengths of angle iron and some welding rods.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you more details and a photo to save clogging up this thread.

Newie

Chippy Dave

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Flying now
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »
if you go to any hi/rise construction site and see formwork chippys they will give you off cut 18mm form ply in 1.800 lenths [for a box of beer you can get 2nds 1.200 by 1.800] IF YOU GOT ON MY SITE 2 BOXES WOULD HAVE  IT CUT TO SIZE AND DELIVED

//???????????

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
Yup - the concrete guy will return to cut the slab as suggested - I forgot to mention.

Newie I'd be interested in seeing your shelf plans - I can weld although i am a beginner - thanks!

And thanks for the tip Chippy - there are construction sites everywhere here and beer is even easier to find!

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 09:51:41 PM »
I gave my shed slab a coat of good paint to stop the dust that a bare slab gives off
I cannot remember the brand but I was told that Berger Jet dry and similar were not as good
as the one I used, but they would of been a lot cheaper, mine was about $300 for 20 litres.

No one has asked the most important shed question yet SA, how big is it, looks like a good size
but they are never big enough.

Moe the Jealous
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Moke 71

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »
Hi SA mokin

not sure what sort of shelving you have in mind but i have a mate here in Adelaide who imports scooters from China and the scooters are packed in a steel frame that is all screwed together and he gives me the frames for nothing. Various sizes and lengths. I have used the steel (25x25 mm angle) to make all sorts of things, rabbit cages etc but they would also make good shelving frames and because there are so many variations in lengths it all bolts together like a big maccano set. even the nuts are welded to the angle so for most of the time you can just load up your cordless drill and assemble in minutes

send me a PM if you want more info
cheers
dave
Moke 1971
Moke 1976 - Daily
Moke 1978 Californian
Moke 1979 - AKA Thomas
and too many round nose minis

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 11:22:49 PM »
Hi Moe

I was planning on coating the floor with a poly urethane coating - but I haven't worked out the total cost yet - I wanted to put something down so oil, etc can be easily cleaned up - but the concrete guy recommends leaving it for a few months to ensure all the moisture is out. The problem with that is - once I move in the floor will never be clear to coat it again! Did the paint wear well or did it come off? I tried painting the concrete patio out back but it only lasted one season before it wore away with the weather - I know it is inside but I am curious (paint is cheaper).

The size of the shed is 50 X 30 - I figured if I was going to go to the trouble of building a new one I may as well get one as big as my block and the council would allow in the city. The size brought it's own problems though - I am up for a retaining wall - and there is only about 1.5 metre to the fence on three sides. 5 bays - 5 roller doors.

It still is a little bit "unreal" to me too - I get home from work and bang there it is - "thank god I am not dreaming!" - if you knew my SWMBO and her allergic reactions to me spending money - you would be wondering how I managed to convince her to allow this all to happen!  Frankly I have no idea - but I will build now and ask questions later...   :D

Dave I will PM you!

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 12:40:21 AM »
The floor of my shed that I use for work is painted and it sticks quite well, BUT if anything heavy gets dragged or twisted on it, paint comes off. Also noticed one time on a 40+ degree day brought a vehicle in from a 300k trip (tyres were hot) and I still have perfect impressions of the tread pattern about 200mm long where the tyres sat overnight. Took the paint back to bare concrete.We were very careful with it at first, but after the first few marks accepted the fact that it IS a work shed after all  :(. Of course, you could be a lot more careful with your shed at home, just be aware that sooner or later somthing will mark it no matter what you do.

That said, its been down for about 7 years and still looks pretty good. Great to clean up oil etc. We acid etched the floor to start with, but it was old concrete. Probably shouldn't do that with new stuff. Best idea to buy the best paint you can get and then ring the 1800 number on the can and explain your situation. Good paints always have a tech advice number.

Newie

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 12:42:27 AM »
It still is a little bit "unreal" to me too - I get home from work and bang there it is - "thank god I am not dreaming!"

Haha - but I bet you love it! ;D

SA, I kind of wish I'd never mentioned the hoist now :-[, but I think your 150 slab should be up to the job. We put our silo's on a 4 x 4 x 150 slab with F53 (I think that's a WA only cheapy), and they weigh around 60 ton pushing on a 50mm wide 3.6m ring around the edge. Never seen one fall over yet!

Don't grano workers put joint lines in a wet slab anymore ???

I agree with Moe, it is well worth sealing the slab. But I fully understand your problem with curing and moving stuff in - I still have 60 litres of paint that should have gone on my garage floor. It came from Cementaid (there is a branch in Adelaide), and completely seals it to Health Dept. specs. It's a lacquer that soaks in and can't be chipped or removed, impervious to oil, and can be coloured any way you want. Not cheap, but I think it's one of those things that really makes a good shed a great shed.

Maddog - C Sections were used for the wall purlins - and although I started out seeking a 4 post hoist - the budget is getting a good old squeeze by the electrician and large rainwater tank so I suspect I will only be able to afford a two post. >:(

I think the 2 post would be better anyway, wouldn't it? Less room when you're not using it! I like those clearfloor ones. But if there is one advantage in where I live, it's that you can build what ever you want (no need for council plans), plumb it yourself (that's legal too), and if I was really crazy, wire it yourself (but that would be illegal ;) ;)).

got any plans for those tucked away Maddog??? ;D

You bet! Very simple to make too. I'll PM them to you.

Cheers, Maddog.

Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 04:17:54 PM »
It has been raining all week so excuse the mess but a little more progress!

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Casper

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 10:59:52 PM »
I'm not looking  :'(

Casper
1977 Californian

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 01:58:21 AM »
Dam i hate this thread :'(

smokey

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 06:27:25 AM »
its alright guys, we have sheds in proportion to our mokes!
Martin ;)
Retired Stormtrooper

seamoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Sea moke Vic
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 10:37:01 AM »
Hey Martin,

Just wait till he takes a photo of his Shed with his Mokes in it!
Then it will all be in proportion believe me. :o
I would post a pic of my new shed Ive just finished,but next to this it would look like a chook shed!
Im with Casper and Smokey on this thread,time to close it Terry ;)

Seamoke

Life Goes Better With Mokes!

Chippy Dave

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Flying now
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »
my shed i have had tiled and venishen blinds i also have a beer fridge both ends [just in case] but now i want a bigger one I'm with the lads here time to shut it down

ps when is hoist coming

//???????????