Author Topic: Stromberg carby option for Mokes  (Read 1855 times)

BrisMoke

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Stromberg carby option for Mokes
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »
Hi all, just installed a Zenith/Stromberg CD150 in place of my tired SU and wow what a difference. I obtained this CD - brand new never fitted for $100 - and only had to widen the holes for bolting on the unit to fit it. The choke and accelerator cable pretty much were in the same position. I modified the acc connector and slightly bent the cable slot to align the cable. First test drive and it really goes now...no more slop and rough running on the old SU. I know - nothing wrong with SUs and I agree but this was much more affordable ($100 new vs 250+ for a reconditioned SU). I will add a pic in the gallery. Clyde.

DYNKY

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    DYNKY AKA Mrs Moemoke
Re: Stromberg carby option for Mokes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 03:17:51 PM »
Sounds like an easy mod Clyde, Do you know what the Carby came off?
See you round the tracks :)

Davtacc

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »
Triumphs 2500TC ran strombergs, as did some series III 6 cyl petrol landrovers...they were quite trouble free, stayed in tune (at least that was my experience on my 2500TC....no issues at all on miltary Land Rovers that I can remember) and any needle adjustment was done with a special tool down through the dash pot, which was handy.

Interesting they bolt on....they often go very cheap. Well done Clyde!
Don't Mock the Moke!

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »
I think Clyde is lucky getting a new one as most cars have been using Fuel injection since
the mid 80's and using a second hand one which could be 30-40 years old may not produce the same results
as what Clyde got, but I guess its an option.
What did you use for an air cleaner?
I also think Range Rovers and some Mercedes used them.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:29:23 PM »
For those that are interested, here's a list of common vehiles and their OEM carbies

http://www.autopia.co.nz/ramflo_oem.htm

Going back to my revhead days, I note that these were standard on some Torana's including the 186 XU-1 (torana equivalent of the Cooper S) in a triple setup. I always knew they ran Stromberg carbys but wasn't sure of the model. What I am sure of is that no Torana driver worth his salt left them on! Any even slightly "worked" Holden 6 had either triple Webers or SU's. Doesn't say much for the performance of the Strombergs I'm afraid.

As Moe said, might be alright as in Clyde's case where he had access to a brand new Stromberg for less than half the price of a reconditioned SU, but if apples are compared with apples I doubt they'd compete.

Never owned a vehicle with Strombergs on it but I seem to recall there being issues with adjustability and rebuildability of many of the parts. The SU's certainly went out of adjustment on a pretty regular basis (try keeping 3 in balance instead of 2  ::)) but those that knew what they were doing (definitely NOT me) seemed to be able to bring them back into line pretty readily.

Good luck to you though Clyde - sounds like it's working for you  :)

Newie

BrisMoke

• Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 03:28:51 AM »
Hi Again, I tried to load a pic but my pics was too big....I am running a Lynx type air filter and I believe this carby might have been 1/2 of a twin off a Triumph as it has the linkage to accept the cross bar on a twin carby....if so and it was on a 2000 0r 2500 then the needle would be pretty close to correct. So far it is not too lean or rich and runs well so I am happy with the setup so far. As for performance on the Strombergs - I don't think they are tops historically but durability wise Hillman Hunters had them and I know several Hunter owners who swear by the reliability and trouble free operation over the years. (BTW - I am in the Hillman Club and have a Super Minx and a Sunbeam Stiletto).
I'll try and upload another pic....the Gallery says my pics is too wide? Any suggestions?

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »
Has to be less than 800 pixels wide and less than 200kb

Newie

mattsmadmini

• Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:17:06 AM »
Nice one Bris!
Just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat (figuratively speaking ofcourse hehehehe) and there is a bucket load of them around so spares shouldnt be an issue!

on a similar note, im currently in the process of making a manifold for a pair of CX500 motorcycle carbs, basically the same spacing as a weber, twin 1.5" (or there abouts...) with everything sorta incorporated into 2 twisty knob things... the bugger is that they sit at 15* as opposed to an SU which is 30* so the mani has to be as long as possible... hence i think ill try a swan neck style :)

The ease of use with these motorbike carbs is sensational! match them on a twinky head and 0-9000rpm in less than a second....  8)
I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness

1967 Moke - Sanchez (made it to wagga and back...)

HAG

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    No, no, no, yes
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:14:18 PM »
Posting for Brismoke

If it has Tit's or Tires....It'll take  your money!

ONLY A MOKER UNDERSTANDS WHY DOGS LIKE TO STICK THEIR HEADS OUT OF CAR WINDOWS

BrisMoke

• Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:27:16 PM »
Thanks Steve....I will eventually break the code on this Imac. cheers, clyde