Author Topic: Mokeduggery Pleasant - The journey begins..  (Read 1148 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Mokeduggery Pleasant - The journey begins..
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2023, 05:54:59 PM »
Hi,

re you using the single bolt with the S bend in it to mount the wheel or are you using the larger four bolt bracket with two studs that was fitted with your vintage of Moke?

Terry

Dan

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Dan

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2023, 09:08:22 PM »
Hmmmm, securing the spare, very good question Terry, will require much thought......

Other progress across from the help pages:
Terry guided me to getting my temperature sender out - turns out it's all one unit, so the only way I could get the dial out of my dash was to remove the sender from the engine and pull the whole lot through.... went better than i thought, I didn't hurt myself or break the car, and following Terry's advice I tested it in a cup of boiling water and it works!
I consider that a solid win!
[img]https://www.mokeforum.com.au/gallery/17/5140-230723114145.jpeg[/img]

I drove up to the beautiful Brisbane bayside today to pick up a front bar from a fellow on the queensland moke owners' facebook site - he's recently shipped a lovely Monaro-yellow 1980 Moke up from Melbourne and is replacing the front black bar with a white one - so I put my hand up for the old front bars and they're great! Enough knocks for character, but still look great - sanded and primed today.

And big news_ MOKEDUGGERY ENGINE HAS STARTED!
The forum has given me invaluable help - getting the solenoid working, testing the coil, and now I've actually got spark to the plugs! and then the fuel pump self primed and the engine went vroom! I'm happy at that (time for a pro mechanic to finesse the mokedug....) , but the gang have given me a thread which is so clear as to be almost tempting...
https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=6349.msg70665#msg70665mpting....

I
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 06:59:02 AM by Dan »
Mokeduggery Pleasant
1980 998cc Californian with
1972/73 Californian 1275 engine

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2023, 06:31:16 PM »
Great news, keep up the great work.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Dan

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Dan

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2023, 09:35:09 PM »
Woo-hoo, I'm taking my little victories and celebrating!

Today was 'seat day' in Brissy - after a couple of months looking for seats I bought (off Bruce - a forum mokie - thanks mate!) a modified toyota coaster twin seat which has been very nicely manufactured with studs and bracket to be a purpose made moke front seat: Here it is in Bruce's moke:

My thinking was this would get me up and running, and down the track be a great rear-seat for when I get a mod-plate as a four -seater. A Win! But then....

....... the day after I bought it, original 1980 Tombstone's come up on market place!
I'm keen for the 'not -new' look, so I leapt at the chance, drove up to Bribie Island above Brisbane, and brought back 2 original 1980 tombstones!
I had read about the 'denim' seats but didn't understand until I saw them - I thought from the ad photos they were just dirty old pale blue vinyl, but in the flesh I had to touch them to make sure they weren't actually jeans material! Genius!
They've cleaned up well:

Here they are in Mokeduggery!

We had an exhibition holiday on Wednesday up here, so I addressed the windscreen glass - I ended up swearing a lot and covered in lube (not in a good way), but the windscreen ended up fitting fine with it's new seals:

I'm very happy with the result but have resolved to NEVER DO IT AGAIN (Note to self: seal goes in frame first, and then fight with the glass....)

In more news the side mirrors arrived but the pressing of the brackets didn't quite fit with the original holes:

so the grinder came into action - I thought whether to leave the grind open to let any water that got in evaporate, but in the end just filled it with silicone which I'll trim when dry:

and in a moment of vanity I committed to advertising the enormous cc of my engine with a little badge to go on the front grill - it may be obscured by the bumper bar at certain angles but will always be glamorous in my view....

Thanks all and good night!

Mokeduggery Pleasant

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2023, 04:25:50 PM »
My Moke has spacers under the mirror mount arms that space it out.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2023, 07:05:28 PM »
My Moke has spacers under the mirror mount arms that space it out.

Correct, there are a couple of spacers under each arm to hold the assembly away from the screen and body and squares up the arm.

They are small round tube about 10mm deep with a fair wall thickness.

Terry

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2023, 07:54:52 PM »
The seats look great, but I don't think they are originals. But that doesnt matter they look great.

Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Banzai

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2023, 06:25:13 PM »
For reference, the spacers with one of my mirror arms.
Wherever you may be, there you are.

Dan

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Dan

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2023, 10:33:47 PM »
Spacers!
Who would have thought..... still, in my defence, the mirrors come with stainless bolts and dome nuts that are only long enough for the firewall as per my install, so I can say I was led astray...! Live and learn!

I've had heaps of help from the forum recently - thank you very much - and countersunk the 60 degree chamfer into my sunraysia wheels, which seems to have been a success, fingers crossed:
https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=14588.new#new

I had heaps of help to replace my oil filter with a spin-on upgrade.
https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=14586.0
Terry taught me how to remove studs from the block. I had a momentary scare when it looked like it would only fit if installed upside down, but on further examination it fits and works perfectly with no leaks! Woo-hoo!

The correct way which actually works!

There's been a major breakthrough with the brakes (Brakethrough! ooooh...Dadjoke....)
https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=14584.0
The front bled well, but the rear not at all.
I replaced the rear flexible brake lines and had a poke around at the inertia valve/brake equaliser/thingy which feeds the rear brakes. In the end the valve was fine but one of the old crusty solid lines broke when I was unbolting it. It took a while to find someone who could make a replacement - in the end found a mobile bunch who came to the house and knocked one up.
It was very fiddly to fit, requiring bending/tweaking/swearing in 4 dimensions, but job done and it works well with no leaks!

Once this was in I could crack and bleed the joints down to the rear wheel cylinders and with some mighty stamps on the peddle - SPLOOOSH - brake fluid and muck shot out of the rear cylinders in turn and now she bleeds!
It was very exciting and required a substantial shed clean....

In other news, there's been much head scratching with wiring and fuses and let's not talk about the wiper motor wiring - definitely put that one in the 'later on' basket...

But I replaced the top radiator bracket that Terry picked up in an early photo and it makes a remarkable difference to the 'sorted' look of the engine bay. It's the 1275 one where the radiator hose comes out the front of the thermostat -

The current work in progress, and since I've had the engine running and the oil filter/temp gauge/oil pressure gauge/oil alarm light switch back together, is working through an oil pressure quandary (fluctuating with revs and reading high...) but it keeps me off the streets! https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=14600.0

And I scored some nice second-hand -but -unused mudflaps! Aaah, the little victories..

Thanks again to all who've been so generous with their time and knowledge, Dan

Mokeduggery Pleasant