Author Topic: Life at the orphange  (Read 27628 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Life at the orphange
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »
Hi,

my little space to bore you all to tears with what is Moking news in my garage and sheds, which I will attempt to update often and try and make interesting.

As far as coming and goings around the orphanage this, The Kermit now has a good home in Smoken abd Swomby, a nice little 1974 from Canberra that needed a new home because its owners are downsizing to a unit in Brisbane hitched a ride on the way home from Nowra. It has a small bit of panel damage and a broken bumper mount on the front sub frame but the 1100 is not blowing smoke and seems good and the body has no sign of rust repair just some ugly silicone under the paint.

Roger's Termite Moke came back Saturday afternoon to have its rebuilt Carby put back on so the carby from Desert Storm could be returned to its home under the hood, but this painful carby from the Termite still refused to play nice and had to come off again. Termite stayed over night while I built up another carby from all the new bits from Termites overhaul and fitted up and it goes well. It will probably disappear down a list of things to do, but it would be nice to find out why this particular carby off Termite is such a dog when put under load.

Termite went home today but seems to have some rubbish in the fuel tank that causes it to stop on the odd occasion over the past few days, so it might be back this week for a petrol tank vacuum to see if I can pick up the offending crud.

Meanwhile Peter B dropped off a Queensland rego'ed 1275 Moke with twin carby looking to get fixed for a Victorian RWC and few tweaks to make it drive nice. It is another front suspension overhaul with a steering column tighten which is a common requirement on Mokes wanting to get registered these days. It is sitting on the bumpstops and handles like a hire Kart on a Sunday night, so should be a nice difference to be able to handle the power through the corners when it is fixed. For a 1275 with twin 1 1/4" carbys it doesn't really seem to have that  extra oomph I would have expected, but still it does go well, but the worn engine steady bushes tend make it go bang when I lift the foot to change gear. It has a different reinforcement for the LHS engine steady to firewall bracket which i haven't seen before. Will to take a photo before it leaves..   

It also has a rear seat that has torn along the perforated line, read stitching, like Smoken's effort, so it may be a design fault as it is now the third seat I have seen torn this way, all by different upholsterers. It does have this cool little LED tacho thingy on the dash that you can't see in the daylight but in the shadows you can plant the foot and green LEDs go to Yellow and then to Red above 4k, nice eye candy when driving.

I am using next Sundays MOA service day up here as the deadline for cleaning up the garages and general Moke stuff laying around here so anyone who was last here before xmas when I could barely get a car into the hoist you will be surprised to see lots of concrete floor and a lot less junk. All the left over junk from the half a dozen rebuilds/restores that have taken place here since around 2003 are all gone and the benches even have space to work on them again. :)

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Life at the orphange
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:43:56 PM »
Well there you go.
Hopefully this thread will remain clean and on topic as i'm sure many of us will be following it.

Good to see you've started a big clean up, im always a bit fan/believer of a clean workshop always safer
and easier to work in.

Would be curious to see a photo of the orphanage, just to help with the story.

Samm

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »
Come on Terry you know the rules, PHOTOS please, although I think you'd need a video so Samm
(and others) could have a good look at the orphanage. ;D
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:48:07 AM »
Come on Terry you know the rules, PHOTOS please
Im surprised you got in before Newie  :D
Retired Stormtrooper

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 07:09:10 AM »
Im surprised you got in before Newie  :D

I'm reluctant to ask people for detailed photos of their sheds as mine usually looks more like the way Terry described his until he cleaned it up (although with a LOT less Mokes). Still Terry, sounds like it's currently as good as it's likely to get, so if you are inclined to post photos/video now would be the time  :)

Newie

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:32:18 PM »
G'day,
        I have had the privelige of having a tour around
the "orphanage" and offer this bit of advice if Terry
decides to give you a pictorial tour.

wear a bib!!!!!     yool drool :)

smoken

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »
I don't think pictures would tell the whole story, its all the info Terry has about each moke or part
that makes life in the orphanage interesting ;D
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:35:30 PM »
Hi,

I have been working on Peter B's white Moke overhauling the front suspension, ball joints, fixing some steering issues, rear brakes and suspension(trupet jumped out of cone due to old cone wrong shockers.

It is up for the first Roadworthy check tomorrow morning but I have just been for a 'test' drive and it definitely puts a smile on the dial when I can really notice the difference in the handling now that everything is fresh. When i first drove it it was hard and sloppy and crunched through the corners, but now it is really smooth and showing the 1275/twin carbs are a bit lazy, but still a lot of fun.

The development over the road, sealed the streets in Stage 5 recently and I must congratulate them on the layout, perfect Moke testing roads, shame it will be filled with houses soon. :(

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Hi,

Was in need of an extra person today to stand on the brakes in this Moke I am working on which had the driveshaft nuts done up excessively tight and none of my usual one-man tricks could undo them. Cujo didn't quite get it when I shoved him in the footwell and said "hold the brake down".

With some pieces of scrap from my Dad and I made Jake the Brake, an adjustable brake pedal stomper and having used it twice today I really wish I had made one sooner, like years ago.

You can see it here ...

http://www.moke.com.au/modifications-and-repairs/433-jake-the-brake

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

aussieclown

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 05:01:28 AM »
I have one them, slightly different, 1' lenght of water pipe of similar lenght, adjustable by using thin timber on the pedal

AC

The Checker Plate King, at least it does not rust

Nickomokeo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 06:56:54 AM »
Version 2 coud include a little, remotely opperated, hydraulic ram. For brake/clutch bleeding.
icko

Nickomokeo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 11:42:07 AM »
How a bout a few photos of some of your favourate orphans Terry? - I'll take Smokey's advice and put a bib on before I look at them.
icko

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
How a bout a few photos of some of your favourate orphans Terry? - I'll take Smokey's advice and put a bib on before I look at them.
icko

A couple of interesting unfinished projects I picked up a few years ago.

The Short Moke came with the two Military Mokes and supposedly had been in use and just parked in the shed. On closer inspection there is no backing plates or brakes whatsoever so it is just a set of Sunraysia straight onto the drive flange. The engine is a nice 1100 that Sir Richard and i got going one New Years Eve and other than push it out the way a lot I haven't touched it.

This Moke was advertised on the site a few years ago as Monsta Moke and was owned by Madfun who got it from eBay out of country NSW. It is a Suzuki chasis which has had a few inches added to it and some other brand of motor. They are really hacked the firewall and only big people can reach the pedals but until i blew out the last remaining working Brake it was fun to drive.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:24:09 PM by Terry »
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »
Thanks Terry
this is what we want, little stories on what is there.

Awsome and continue to have fun playing with them ALL.

Cheers

Dev
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »
can we see the family photo  - in line from oldest to youngest... :D

you have some interesting toys terry
Martin