Author Topic: 1500 engine swap  (Read 2548 times)

speedyeedy

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

1500 engine swap
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »
Thanks for all your help in the identification of my moke as an army moke.I have just checked this sites posts looking for info on possible engine swaps using the 1500 OHC motor.I was wondering about the possability of this swap as I use to own a morris 1500 with the 5 speed box in the early 80,s.Other than the usual overheating problems back then,it use to cruise easily at 70MPH.
Has anybody done one of these swaps,I hear the word Gryphon used but searched and found nothing.
Interestingly I was talking to a friend up here in Cairns who is a mechanic, and as he has had a few mini's in his workshop I asked him about the difference in the 1300 (1275) block and the 1500 OHC and he then told me that he did his apprentaship on mini's in Melbourne and that he has seen one moke with the OHC motor in it.He said that they actualy lengthened the front sheet metal on the moke to fit it in.If this was the case do you think it would be possible to fit one to a body that has the removable grill and then possibly space out the grill from the front sheet metal.By the way this is not a certanty for the car just a possability.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: 1500 engine swap
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »
Has anybody done one of these swaps,I hear the word Gryphon used but searched and found nothing.
Interestingly I was talking to a friend up here in Cairns who is a mechanic, and as he has had a few mini's in his workshop I asked him about the difference in the 1300 (1275) block and the 1500 OHC and he then told me that he did his apprentaship on mini's in Melbourne and that he has seen one moke with the OHC motor in it.He said that they actualy lengthened the front sheet metal on the moke to fit it in.If this was the case do you think it would be possible to fit one to a body that has the removable grill and then possibly space out the grill from the front sheet metal.

Hi,

If you scroll this post up to the top of the screen the black Moke you see used on the background is the Gryphon and you will it is also the one that your friend is referring to with the enxtended front. Two others I know of have with the 1500 conversion neither extended the panel, one modified the subframe and the other extended the grille to enclose the radiator.

The 1300 engine is just A-series 1275 with an automatic while the 1500 OHC is an E-series engine and sharss the dizzy and alternator and that is about all.

It is a tight squeeze to fit it into the standard subframe with the exhaust becoimng two smaller pipes to fit and there is a few bits and pieces to be cut out and the radiator could probably stay mounted on the side with thin electric fans.

Terry

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:17:16 PM by Terry »

spider

• Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 07:41:14 PM »
I remember Robin Booth did this (and I'm pretty sure that is his moke Terry is refering to and he also know where it is ;)), however for a long time Robin swore black and blue that it was better than a 1275, until he did the Canning Stock Route and it was apparent there that the 1275 mokes were as good or better, especially when it came to fuel consumption. Robin did change his mind.

You'd also have trouble getting bits for the gearbox and possibly the engine.

IMO, there are much better converstions you could do these days, but whats wrong with the A Series Engine.
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
Jeez, why would you put yourself through it? The 1500 motor was never much good and is a dinosaur these days. A decent 1275 performs at least as well and will drop straight in without the need for any engineering involvement. If you are going to get an engineer involved, any of the modern engine conversions would make much more sense.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

speedyeedy

• Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:58:29 AM »
Thanks again for your thoughts,I understand the 1275 is a good choice and bolts straight in.My thoughts about the 1500 was it seems the only motor available with a 5 speed,unless you go to a modern efi alternative.
I have been down the modern path,having installed efi and 4 speed auto into my 66 F100.
So I will more than likely stick with something in the A series.
Thanks