Author Topic: Plating Kit in use by SA Mokin  (Read 5162 times)

spider

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Re: Plating Kit in use by SA Mokin
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »
SA, there is no doubt.

You are the Plating Guru.

That is quite good to know, especially what you have said about using too much current. I have received lots back that did appear rough, I just put it down to my poor preparation.
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

suspend6

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    I took an IQ Test and the results were negative...
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »
There is another company in Hoppers Crossing (Victoria) by the name of Caswell. They seem to offer similar gear to the Jane crowd.  Is anybody able to comment on them?

http://www.caswellplating.com.au/

Sus
Phil Kirby,
Recycling Afficiondo - "waste not, want not"
Proud owner of Maurice - 1980 "almost Californian"

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity !

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »
Caswell are a US company, they are probably the best known for diy plating kits, but because a lot of the chemicals can't be air freighted the availability in Australia is limited. I think the Australian version is a re-seller, they don't carry the full range of the US lot. Their stuff looks to be very good though. Its probably worth having a look on the US site and flicking through their forum which has a lot of tips about diy plating.

http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing.html

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Smarty

• Registered Member

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
Hi SA Mokin

A question for you regarding the plating kit, do you know what rating the power supply is?  I have a couple of power supplies kicking around in the shed and was thinking that they may be suitable for plating and save me some pennies instead of buying the jane plating one.

i.e. what voltage and current output is recommended?
what have you found to be the ideal voltage and current output for your good results? :D

Any technical information would be good.

Thanks in advance might also be useful for other members

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »
Hi Smarty

Sure!  The power supply required is not your normal run of the mill power supply - mainly because plating requires you to control the amps - not the volts.  For most home plating a steady current of .8 to 1.2 amps is required.  This is bugger all.  When I took a volt reading it was like 3 volts.  On the Jane Kit website there was a picture of a circuit you could build using light bulbs to control the amps (each lightbulb would reduce the total amps of the circuit) using a 12 volt battery.  This would cost you less than $20.

Having said that for the conveniance and granular control of the amps the power supply gives you I would swear by the purchased power supply.  Once you have it then the plating kits become very reasonable.  I tried looking on eBay, etc to find a second hand one when I discovered it's peculiar functionality of controlling amps.  My original power supply gave up the ghost about 18 months after purchase and Jane Kit replaced it no questions asked.

I hope that answers your question.

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
Most decent lab power supplies will regulate either amps or volts (you can't control both simultanously). When I looked into it last, you could get pretty much the same one as Jane Kits supply from Jaycar, but it wasn't much cheaper.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Smarty

• Registered Member

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »
I will dig out the one that I made years ago, pretty sure it controls amps and volts, but my memory may be a bit foggy.

:)  Is anything else supplied in the kit that doesn't come with the replenishing kits that I will need?

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »
I will dig out the one that I made years ago, pretty sure it controls amps and volts, but my memory may be a bit foggy.

:)  Is anything else supplied in the kit that doesn't come with the replenishing kits that I will need?

Copper wire to hang the parts - stainless steel wire to hang the anodes - aluminium rods to hand the anodes and parts, wires connecting them to the power supply, thermometer, Jane Clean Kit (rust remover and parts wash) - all of which can be ordered seperately.

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke