Author Topic: The Angry Ant.  (Read 26076 times)

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
Re: The Angry Ant.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12:08 PM »
Newie, your right again, 3773 was one we saw at Dave G in Nowra.

Dev, looks like there may be some rust, whats under those panels inside
near the triangle, looks like rivetted on to hide something ;)
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 09:19:57 PM »
Anthony Iam bringing my overalls with me lets get dirty :o
Whats the next job we need to do?

Brakes are only down the bottom of the pedal but when they work they come on quite strong, so I am not sure if we can get that with some adjustments and a good bleed or if I will need to refresh the master cylinder.  I think Saun said they had spent quite a bit of money on the brakes before the motor stopped running. 
I am hoping the brakes might be quick also.

Then it will be Donouts for the front and I am sorry to say there is a little rust in the joint of the pannier side and the pannier, so I will try Terry's sugestion and cut it with an angle grinder, clean out all the rust and hit it with a good converter.  Will hopefully protect it from getting any for a while.
Also look at the bushes and tie rods. 

Just for a start.

What else should I have right for my Rego inspection>

Cheers

Dev
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »
Newie, your right again, 3773 was one we saw at Dave G in Nowra.

Dev, looks like there may be some rust, whats under those panels inside
near the triangle, looks like rivetted on to hide something ;)

There certianly is rust there and when you look under the car you can see holes that have been Skika flexed up along the triangle.  I am no Virgin Moke buyer, I check those first and still though it is worth the money.

Watch out for the Ant!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:38:11 PM »
Dev, brakes are far from my specialty, but if it's been sitting for a while, would a seized wheel cylinder (or two or three) cause what you describe? Does it pull to one side when they finally work, or feel like the front or back brakes aren't working?

Just thinking if only one or two cylinders are working you would have to push pretty hard to get a noticable effect and by the time you did they would be close to locked on.

Newie

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
Dev,

You may find they could have condensation build up in them and so you are compressing water, or maybe air. Get a bottle of methylated spirits and flush out the brake system, and clutch if you like, and leave the nipples open so it will evaporate and then refill and bleed with brake juice.

Or the better option is to flush them with the metho and then dismantle and clean all the slave cylinders as they will probably be rusty as and then re-assemble/replace them. Mokes that sit around are very hard on the brake system so you want to be sure everything is nice and clean a bit of crud doesn't hold open a seal and cause brake failure.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
Thanks Terry keep the hint coming.

Dev
Watch out for the Ant!

Nickomokeo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »
Wow what a find Dev - 15 years nagging paid off eh?
6 weeks - no problem - follow Noddy's example.
Nicko

Noddy

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Why are there so many nuts and bolts left??
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 06:02:12 AM »
6 weeks easy.  ;)
Mokes and Tiger Moths are the same, wherever they stop, they mark their teritory!

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
Wow what a find Dev - 15 years nagging paid off eh?
6 weeks - no problem - follow Noddy's example.
Nicko

Just goes to show, if you find one you want, just stay in touch and keep up the pressure, if you really want it, you will get it!

Dev
Watch out for the Ant!

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »
Just goes to show, if you find one you want, just stay in touch and keep up the pressure, if you really want it, you will get it!

Dev
A word from our sponsor "Motivational Speaker,  Dev" ( applauds from the crowd) ;D
Yep, patience and perseverance

"Ametures sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us get up and go to work"
Stephen King.

tasmoken

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 08:27:54 PM »
I had the pleasure of spending a balmy cold Tasmanian winters Saturday afternoon with 77Dev
and   had my first look @ R2Rin6 and the body is actualy very straight and just a little rust , -but nothing that cant be fixed.

The engine starts and sounds quite healthy and he has definatley got a goer here.
and with just a bit of  attention he should have this little ripper(wheeler) on the roads soon

(but I will not tell anyone that we went for  a little  drive to the servo and back to get fuel, Ant) ::)

Anthony may enlighten  you all what happened at the servo but i will not.

But the young attendant told us his Dad had a Moke in a shed in town here , so will sniff this one out over the next couple of months.
Moking
A Way Of Life
Unashamed and Unrestrained

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
Well R2R goes,

Had a visit from Rick and Scarlet (Tasmoken) this afternoon. We removed the front drums and were plesed to find the story that it had the brakes re done not long before the engine stopped working, appear to be true.  Shoes had plenty of meat on them and the slave cylinders looked good and each one had a fresh nipple on it.

Brakes sort of work, engine goes but is smokey with the outboard fuel in the tank.........

Hey Rick, jump in the passengers seat, we'll go and put a fresh tank of fuel in it.  It drove really well up to the servo but when we went to leave, it didn't want to start.  had signs of being flooded or something not quite right.  Decided to roll start it down the hill and it fired up OK.  Quick turn around (note: hand brake works) grab Rick from the side of the road and bake home to bleed the brakes and see if I can get some pedal pressure and reduce the travel before the brakes start to work.

Bleed each corner and found no air but managed to push through to the new fluid we put in the reservoir tank.  No differance to pedal, so removed the back portioning valve and have that soaking in the garage over night.  going to look up what seals I need to get to recondition that soon.  I hope this will fix that problem and I will the have go power and stopping power.

Had a good look over the rest of the car and I have more rust to deal with than I was hoping for, no surpises there.

Cheers

Dev
Watch out for the Ant!

appache

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 09:06:48 PM »
Nice stuff Dev! and I like your personal challenge!

What are you up to now? Day6?

Good luck!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »
Hey Dev,

Love the way the motor worked but smoked a little, brakes didn't work at all, sooooooooo.............................

Thought process along these lines............I've got the afternoon with my mate to look at the brakes and then put some fresh fuel into this unregistered vehicle to see if that clears up the smoking issue - which to do first  ::). I know, lets drive to the servo with the handbrake only and then fiddle around for the rest of the afternoon trying to fix the brakes before putting it away in the shed  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bet you felt like a couple of kids wagging school while you were doing it though  8)

Newie

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Hey Dev,

Love the way the motor worked but smoked a little, brakes didn't work at all, sooooooooo.............................

Thought process along these lines............I've got the afternoon with my mate to look at the brakes and then put some fresh fuel into this unregistered vehicle to see if that clears up the smoking issue - which to do first  ::). I know, lets drive to the servo with the handbrake only and then fiddle around for the rest of the afternoon trying to fix the brakes before putting it away in the shed  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bet you felt like a couple of kids wagging school while you were doing it though  8)

Newie

Close there Newie BUT the brakes did work, it was just that it was only the last half inch or so of pedal travel before the fire wall.  And the hand brake was more required to turn around in a narrow street to go back and pick Rick up after I left him at the servo.

Cheers Dev (with his school blazer stuffed in his bag and a smile from ear 2 ear)
Watch out for the Ant!