Author Topic: The Angry Ant.  (Read 26074 times)

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: The Angry Ant.
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 12:04:26 AM »
G'day Dev,
             I may have missed something, but what is the
significance of "R2Rin6"?

smoken

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 12:06:59 AM »
Rough 2 registered in 6 weeks

mav.

tasmoken

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 09:28:23 AM »
I felt very naughty indeed, but it was fun and good to watch a little Wheeler and the driver enjoying our roads :D :D :D.
Moking
A Way Of Life
Unashamed and Unrestrained

CabSav

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
Well, well, well!

At last! You are practically on the road with a moke!
Sooo glad to hear that Dev. And yes - the drive "up" the back yard would have been fun!
And your enthusiasm and joy can be "heard" through the written word! Great isn't it?
Keep us posted (pardon the pun) on your little bargain - looks great!

Cabby
Been there.... Done that.... And still out doing it!

the family is growing - Buttercup, Cabsav, Resto & Gifthorse!!!! wow - oh! and Zac's Mini!!!

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 06:50:20 PM »
Brakes are bleed, well their first real bleed has been completed.

Assisted be a future Moke enthusiast. Angus.  Smomby was busy in the kitchen and Angus had worked out dad was home from work and wanted to be with me.  So Jen brought him out and he was quite happy watching for 20 minutes or so.

OK where am I up to.

Tasmoken and I played with the brakes Saturday afternoon and in the end pull the rear valve out.  I pulled that apart Saturday and put it to soak.  Low and behold, when I checked it on Sunday morning, miraculously  all of a sudden you could get the spring out of the valve body.  Sunday I had Tamsyn's second birthday party at home, so there was no Moke time.  Therefore it was tonight’s job.

I have much better brake pedal now and even feel through the pedal.  I am not to sure if they are good enough to get it over the pits yet.  Probably another bleed will help.  They improved greatly, backing it up the drive them drive down as quick as you could and jump on the brakes before entering the street in peek hour.  (Wasn't game to take it around the block in peek traffic. Too many eyes and some of them might have been wearing a blue uniform.)

Cheers  Dev
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »
G'day Dev,
           Your off to a flying Start mate keep it up.
It looks like a pearler,

smoken

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »
Excellent Dev,
Make sure you check the Rubber Hoses for damage. All good to get it up and running but last thing you want is to end up - up someones end!!
I remember the days of my assistant idly sitting in her roccker watching on. When she was a bit bigger she loved painting the fence, bucket of water and a brush kept her busy many weekends.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »
Well I have managed to get said mates welder working today:

Sorry to hi jack your thread Jack but whilst I was at work last night a mate dropped a welder around for me to get a start on Morton with,
Can any one tell me if this will be easy enough to use, I have never done much welding and none for about 15 years, I will have to do plenty of practice first but a few new tips and new roll of wire and my mothers brother will be called Robert.

Cheers

Dev

As I stated in Marvo's Welder thread, I need lots of practice and after 3 or 4 hours fitting the new bits and taking them off and fixing more problems, I now have the welder working.  Well sort of, the welder works it is just me who needs to learn to weld.
Mind you using bits of Mortons floor to practice with was probably a bad idea as everywhere I started to weld a rust hole would blow open, even on the lowest settings.

I will grab some practice steel next week and get practicing.

Stay tuned and see how I go.

Cheers

Dev

Pictures tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:30:46 PM by 77Devil »
Watch out for the Ant!

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »
Keep it up Dev, you can only get better
If I can do it.....everyone can!

Martin
Retired Stormtrooper

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2011, 08:32:05 PM »
I agree with my m8 Marty..
If I can do it anyone can...

Uncle Fester

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »
Think you've got the right idea Dev. Trying to learn to weld on pitted rusty steel is a recipe for heartbreak.

Newie

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »
Well back into it for a little while today.

I think I have created a new term for a comon section of a Moke.  What is commonly as the Bermuda Triangle, today I attacked it with an agle grinder and converted it into the "Bermuda Cave".  At least I can now get into it with some rust converter and cut out what I need to.  I will take some messurements tomorrow and fold up some new steel.

Once I had the big bits removed, I took it up to the Car Wash and washed out the build up dirt and grim out of as many of the wrong places as I could.  And it gave me another drive in my Moke.

Cheers

Dev
Watch out for the Ant!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
Sounds about standard Dev. At least now you get a good look at it. I've only cut the worst sections out of mine as I haven't been able to bring myself to cut out good, solid looking steel, but have been thinking lately I may be better off cutting out the whole length so that it can all be cleaned up properly and converted like you said. I just know there must be more rust hiding in the places I haven't cut out  :-\

Newie

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »
As you say Newie, I just have to work out how far I will cut it back.  As you can see the rust has broken though but the rest of this section must be full of rust inside the steel.  So I just have to work out how far I want to cut into it.
This stage is R2R I will do the full rebuild in a few years.  I just want to stop the rust from getting too musch worse before then.

Cheers

Dev
Watch out for the Ant!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2011, 11:49:31 PM »
Dev,

Unless you want to start your full resto now I would suggest filling up the cave with a rust preventor(Xtroll/POR15), not a convertor, and just weld a 50-100mm wide strip of metal right along the bottom and close the cave up. I have been help someone with their Moke and  there is a lot more holding that 'cave' together than you might think so just cover it up and getit registered.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016