Author Topic: The Angry Ant.  (Read 25180 times)

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: The Angry Ant.
« Reply #660 on: October 19, 2018, 09:41:26 PM »
Is the pump body cracked through the mounting hole?

No, sorry Newie, the pump appear to be normally intact.
We will leave it open for another guess as to why I break down whilst I’m driving easily but have no problems whilst I flog the guts out of it.

Dev
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #661 on: October 19, 2018, 11:20:41 PM »
Hi,

it is a the older Goss style pump which is actually the last you could service with a new kit but over time they degrade and although they limp along they will do strange things at times like stopping for no apparent reason?

The metal pipe coming from the outlet runs too close to the exhaust/manifold on its way to the carby and causes the fuel to evaporate?

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #662 on: October 20, 2018, 08:34:01 AM »
And where is the spacer between the pump and the engine block. Without this being in place, my diagnosis is, the cam is pushing on a lower part of the pump arm and as such is only giving very small pumps of the diaphragm. So whilst driving at 1500 rpm no fuel is pumped, where as when reving at greater than 5000 rpm the fuel flows freely.

This is my diagnosis anyway

Cheers

Dev
Watch out for the Ant!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #663 on: October 20, 2018, 08:57:12 AM »
Hi,

not all pumps required a spacer. It varies between brands, in particular the length of the arms used.

If you have a pump that should have a spacer, in my experience it works for a little while and then breaks the arm off.

I will have a look and see if I can find an old Goss pump on an engine and let you know if it has a spacer or not.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #664 on: December 19, 2018, 11:33:04 PM »
Well I’m still having issues with this fuel pump but that is most likely because I haven’t done anything to correct the problem yet. It is going fine most of the time, though last Thursday I was stuck traveling slowly in traffic again and you guessed it, the Ant died on me again. Now knowing the problem, I just walked to the Servo, borrowed a small tin and took some fuel to the Ant and kept pouring some into the carbie and running it for a few seconds, then repeat, until my fuel filter and then fuel bowl were filled and he has run perfectly ever since. Though I did spend half an hour in the shed, going through my fuel section and have pulled out two different spacers. One is about 13mm thick and the other about 4mm, so now I need to work out which one I’ll use. I only want to pull this pump out once I want to get it right. I am pretty sure I have one somewhere about 8mm, I now want to find that one and try that.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Dev
Watch out for the Ant!

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #665 on: December 20, 2018, 10:56:15 AM »
Just had a quick look, my spacer is 10mm