Author Topic: MOA's Electro moke  (Read 1531 times)

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
MOA's Electro moke
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
I've been meaning to post this for a while and finally found time (at work ;))
The Electro moke is an electric moke that the MOA have had in storage for quite a few years, I've finally found
some photos I took of it a while ago.
The moke was made by John Perry Lifts back in the early 80's using a new moke, as you can see it's only done 82k's.
It uses 2 very large and heavy motors of unknown origin, probably lift motors, the control set up is very agricutural as well
using relays and contactors like a fork lift, rumour has it that they did 'weld' themselves shut causing the moke to accelerate
very quickly until you hit the main circuit breaker.

There is a wooden / fiberglass tray in the rear for the 12-14 lead acid batteries went  as such the rear suspension has been raised
by means that I cannot remember, Terry will know.

1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: MOA's Electro moke
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »
Why was it made - were they hoping to sell electric mokes as a sideline to their lift business?

what else is known about it?
why did it only do 82kms then go into storage? as it seems quite an investment to only do such few kms, a new moke to convert wouldn't have been cheap

Martin
Retired Stormtrooper

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
Why was it made - were they hoping to sell electric mokes as a sideline to their lift business?

what else is known about it?
why did it only do 82kms then go into storage? as it seems quite an investment to only do such few kms, a new moke to convert wouldn't have been cheap

Martin

There was supposedly four made and they were developed for the old State Electricity Commission to be used in the mines but looking at the dates on the paper work Leyland went under around the time they were being developed and so that possibly caused the project to halt or some developmental problems they had like the solenoid welding shut and the Moke full speed until the Batteries could be shut down. :)

In the rear is essentially a jacking ring type arrangement, just a bit different to the regular style we use, but the same principle to raise the suspension travel to accomodate the weight of the batteries.

Terry

GS MOKE

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

• Yellow Mokes are the Best

• Personal Text
    BSTING
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »

The moke was made by John Perry Lifts back in the early 80's using a new moke, as you can see it's only done 82k's.

Is it 82K's or is it 82 hours?

Cheers
GS
Too much to do not enough time or money!

Mazy

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 06:18:38 PM »
I am an unlikely contributor to this thread but we met a man whilst at Yass on the weekend who worked at Johns Perry Lifts when they were doing their Moke projects back in the early ‘80s.
He saw Mazy at the ‘Classic Yass’ event on Saturday (I will post about this elsewhere) and came over for a chat. He was extremely eager to know what had become of the two Mokes (he said there was only two) they’d worked on. I was able to tell him about the one that the MOA are currently restoring and he was chuffed to hear that at least one of them was still around. He actually gave us his contact details so that we could exchange any information about it with him, stating that members of the staff still attend regular reunions and that he’s still in touch with the fellow who used to do the test drives in them.  He said the test drives included drives from the centre of Sydney along Parramatta Rd to Parramatta and a number of drives over the Harbour Bridge. He was interested to know what the number plate of the MOA Moke might have been?? We asked him how this all came about and he just said that if they were asked to do any project, no matter what it was, they just did it.

He recalled an article about the Moke in his Staff Newsletter and so dug it out from his archives and copied it for us and we chatted about it over cuppas at his home the next day:

Mazy

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 07:24:38 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info Mazy. Missile moke on this forum is in charge of the rebuild which is at the
'ready to respray' stage. I'm sure he'd like the contact details.
I'm not sure if the MOA know what the rego number was.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 09:24:53 PM »
Nice  ;D
Ive been reading the progress of the MOA with the Electro Moke in TRACKS. So its great to hear that you have found someone that was so involved with it way back when and willing to share the stories 8).
Its an interesting little article too.
And how many pages back was moemokes original post from 2011? done well to find it  8)
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

alpine moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »
When I was a member of the MOA , I purchased the f/glass canopy from the MOA, it was off the electo moke. I think the Moke was painted yellow however I maybe wrong about the colour.

I sold the canopy to John Cook (army guy) who lived in Chiltern Vic , he fitted the canopy to his trailer.

John and his trailer now live in White Cliffs an opel mine.
You never actually own a Moke.
 You merely look after it for the next generation.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »
I think the Moke was painted yellow however I maybe wrong about the colour.

The Moke was/is white but the floor had carpet on it that had been removed so much of the front area inside was contact yellow.

Terry