Author Topic: Relocate the electric fuel pump to the side box.  (Read 755 times)

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Relocate the electric fuel pump to the side box.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »
There will not be a wire there for the pump unless the loom has been replaced and the new loom had the wires in for it.
The original pump wire would be white and comes from the live side of the ignition fuse ie not fused.
The only option is to run a new wire from the fuse block (to the switch if you are fitting one) to the pump. And earth the other wire to the chassis or body.
I do not think the pump will work if it is higher than the tank, I think they need a gravity feed or they will burn out. Looks like it will have to go below the tank.
Cheers, Dave

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:41 PM »
Hi Steam, 
the height of the pump won't be an issue because I have had this pump running for years just bolted in the engine bay next to the carby which is higher than where I would like to mount it.

Their is a ton of wires running through the fuel tank compartment on my Moke.  Im sure one must be of use to me?

Thanks Brad

Sharks

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 07:37:50 AM »
Hi Brad,

Unfortunately I don't think there are any wires in the sidebox that are connected to the accessories circuit. I'm pretty sure there's one for the fuel gauge sender, and the rest go down the back to the rear lights.

Cheers,
Sharks.

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 08:54:05 PM »
Thanks Sharks for the bad news ;-)

Since I have to remove that bottom plate I may as well cut a hole in it  and get a mate to weld 4 pieces of flat bar like @HP did and replicate his sweet job.

Steam looks like your right about having to run a new wire. All these wires and not a drop to drink?  Sorry I got I side tracked.

So if I'm running a new wire to the "fuse box"  how do I know if I'm plugging into an accessory post? 

Thanks Brad

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 09:39:56 PM »
G,day Brad
 Why not use the same wire that fed it while it was next to the carb.
Cheers, Dave

Maystro

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 10:09:37 PM »
Hi Steam,

Doh why didn't I think of that..... because I know nothing about electrics. 

Thanks that will work so my old pommy mechanic must have found the right post because it only starts clicking when the key is turned to the last position before engaging the starter motor.

Thanks Brad