austmoke

Author Topic: Mokes don't float! Halfpints story so far.  (Read 19218 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Mokes don't float! Halfpints story so far.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »
Hi,

If you had trouble starting it afterwards I am guessing that there was a bit of water in the Dizzy.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »
Maybe floated a few seconds JM, but I rekon it sunk quicker than Telstra shares!
Yep, you got it Mav :o
And SA, it still erks me that people can do this stuff to other peoples gear, even now, 12yrs later. Im ok now, and the therapist reakons I'm almost ready to hold a gun liscence again. ;) ;)
It does make you wonder what you could have done to prevent it though, or at least make it so difficult, they just give up. ::)
I have read lots of posts from people over the last 2 yrs on this forum talking about all sorts of alarms and anti theft devices, I can only say that this post shows just what can happen if you do nothing about securing your Moke (or any vehicle for that matter).
Smoken, I was reading the Icons post (I think its the one) where Terry asked about Floating a Moke, all well and good if you get a chance to plan for it ::)
And Terry, I look at it as a bit of dizzy in the water :P

Ok, so Nicko and Pete, not so clean up close. The ducks had found a nice spot to perch alright ::). You can see the lines on the windscreen from the oil, and I think your right, as the water level receded, it slowly exposed the roof. I kept that roof till just Xmas this year, and it still had the watermark level stained across the back window.

Couldn't wait to do something, other than fume that is.

Kids had a ball gathering all the huge tadpoles that had been filtered out as the water drained off

Cheers
Halfpint,
Still having trouble looking at the pics!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:51:00 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »
That terrible HP, but it's better than them torching it. 

There are a few little-used tracks near my place and nearly every time I go down one I find a burnt car.  :(

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

aussieclown

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
Do you have any idea on who did it or have they disapeared somewhere to a un-disclosed place

AC

The Checker Plate King, at least it does not rust

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »
Thanks for the responces, their all the right questions, but the answers are part of the story soon.

This bit isn't exactly directly related to Moke, but the hoops I had to go through to get it to where it is today.
So I'll continue:-

With the Moke safely parked on the front lawn, we had to wait for the insurance assesor to come around and have a look, so I didn't really touch it that first week. I was pretty excited to head down to pick up the latest purchase though.

As Mrs HP didn’t want to go with me, I asked Boydy if he wanted to come for a drive. He agreed and we threw some sleeping bags into the car and took off Friday arvo after work.
It was smooth sailing down the Hume and we decided to drive through Melbourne. It was good fun driving through the City with an empty tandem trailer and watching the looks we got as we drove passed Flinders Station. So out the other side and we were heading towards Wonthaggi.  :D

It would have been 10:30 pm when we turned onto Koo Wee Rup rd and we were cruising well when we got flagged down by a Woman who was standing next to her broken down Commodore. When we pulled up, we thought “Oh well, we’ll see whats wrong and maybe give her a lift into town”. But when we stopped and started talking to her, she had been broken down for over an hr, no phone, 4 young kids in the back and no money for a tow truck and still had 120klms to get to Foster. ::) Whats the chances, here we are driving through with an empty tandem.
Anyway, we couldn’t get it started, the battery had gone flat and I didn’t have any jumper leads in. So we loaded the car on the trailer and the kids in the car, - yeh, I know, too many passengers, but I wasn’t going to leave them there, and we just sat on 80 kph max.
I’d never travelled to Wonthaggi before the last weekend, so roads were very unfamiliar to us and lucky this was the case. There wasn’t much traffic on the road, hardly any actually. Its quite rural and there are some long sweeping corners heading to Foster. We were in no hurry at all, being after midnight and getting a bit tired, we slowed to just 60kph sometimes.
Not really sure exactly where we were, somewhere near Leongatha I think, when we rounded a sweeper and had to dodge a heap of debris littered all over the road :o :o , spare wheel, clothes, tools and heaps of shattered glass was everywhere. etc.
There were scuff marks all over the bitumen and about another 150 mtrs up the road we came across a Ford TE Cortina wagon wedged upside down in the small culvert up against the cutaway wall.
Lucky we were going slow, it wasn’t hard to doge everything and pull off the road safely.
We asked the Mum to stay with her kids, then Boydy and I went over to the car. Honestly, it didn’t look good and I had some bad thoughts of what we might find. The engine was off but still hot, head lights still on, front windscreen shattered and roof fully collapsed onto the dash. Both front doors were pinned shut the way it was sitting. We started calling into the car from the back window and didn’t get a response. We scanned around the interior, looked in the back foot well from a back window and the driver wasn’t there!
Maybe he had been thrown from the car when it rolled over? So we started searching off the side of the road and into the bush a bit, nothing yet. We’d been stopped and looking for about 5 minutes I reckon when we could hear what sounded like a loud truck that was a fair way away.
Looking down the road, we could see headlights and what appeared to be a silhouette of someone walking in front. As they got closer, it was a bloke walking in front of a cockies tractor. He had a pretty bad limp, and was dragging his left leg heavily as he walked.
When he got to us I asked if he was ok? He was pretty vague, looked a bit pale and the his face was pretty clammy ( First aiders recognise this as possible shock). He continued to keep walking and then very slowly said with a slur ” Nope, not my car”. Boydy and I looked at each other wondering where the hell the driver might be? This guy must have taken about 4 or 5 more steps before he said” It’s my Mums car!”. “ She’s not gunna be too happy”. ::)
I started talking to the Cockie and he was a really nice bloke, he assured us that everything was under control, and some more help was on the way, so after about 15 minutes helping to get some rubbish off the road, we were off to Foster again.

We got to Foster about 2:30 ish and unloaded the car at the bottom of the driveway. The Mum was very appreciative to get home all safe n sound, car and all, and she put the kids to bed and made us all a cuppa.  So then we left there and headed off to Wonthaggi again.
It was just before sun-up when we arrived and we put the seats back and grabbed an hrs kip. Next thing there was a tap on the window and we had this Guy who owned the Moke peering in the window, wondering what we were doing sleeping in the car like that. Our bloodshot eyes probably gave the impression of being hungover or something, but we were buggered, it was a very long night.
Next, we headed out to the property again and started to load up the Moke with all the bits’n’pieces when he tried to “Re-negotiate” and asked for more than we had agreed on. I thought it was a bit rude, but we were on his turf. I suppose he could try!  It didn’t get him anywhere though, it was an agreed and fair price, so I stuck to my guns and he wasn’t too upset. Probably thought he’d try and get a bit of extra cash that he didn’t have to share with his ex.
5hrs later, and a very event free run back, we were home. Phew.

Halfpint

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:25:39 AM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

minsta

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Hiya,

Magnificent story (so far)!

You (and Boydy) are true gentlemen.

cheers! jon

• Registered Member

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »
Man, you should write a book...edge of your seat stuff.
oh, and you should of slept with the mum in sted of the car, kind of thank you thing ;D ;D

mav.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
Thanks Jon, and Sorry Mav, Very faithfull to my moke ;)
It definitely was an adventure, our Moke has given us so many fun times, and many challenges over the years. I'm sure every single reader of this story has one just as interesting, its just thanks to you all that I have finally wrote it down, and not just re-cantered and laughed about it all over a few beers with mates. The coffee jar is another one Boydy might talk about, but thats another story ;D
Cheers
HP
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:23:14 AM by Halfpint »

Nickomokeo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
I guess your guna make us wait another week HP?
Nooooooo

Darth Moke

• Registered Member

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
 Excellent read HP, maybe just add one or two nude girls running around screaming for help, a couple of drug dealers and an extra terrastrial mutant zombie !!! Then you would have the best seller !!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:21:29 PM by Darth Moke »

• Registered Member

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
Excellent read HP, maybe just add one or two nude girls running around screaming for help, a couple of drug dealers and a extra terrastrial mutant zombie !!! Then you would have the best seller !!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
too funny

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »
Yes, we all have Moke stories HP, but few of us have ones with a long and twisting plot like yours.  :D

Your story proves again it's not the cars that really make the story.  It's the people around them and the way they react to the adventures these cars seem to attract.

Cheers,
Brett.

Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
2013 Toyota Prado

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »
Next bit, Heres where I answer AC's question.

We had waited nearly 3 weeks to get the insurance assesor around.  >:(
I'd always insured it, but never thought to have an agreed value and all that, never thought I'd needed to.  :-[
When he finally arrived, he looked over it, wrote something in his folder, wandered to the back, and again wrote something in his folder,( Probably that he was glad to see I'd got my sticker back). He continued to look it over for about 20 minutes and said " Mmmm, I'll just make a phone call, I'll be back in a minute". And jumped into his car and drove off.  ???
He was gone for about 2 hrs, must have been his lunch break! ::)
When he got back, he seemed a bit more interested, and we talked about all the lead up etc to how it got to this.
So then he made a $1500 offer,  :o :o
We quickly disagreed with him and grabbed a few photo's to argue the case on the codition of the Moke prior to being pinched.
He instantly agreed and came back with a final 2k, stating that that was market value? :o We discussed it for over an hour, but that was it.   :(
I was already doing the sums in my head and thought ..... OK, that might be enough to get a good headstart, at least I already had a 1275 built and ready to go, so  I started to ask him some of the questions I needed to.
One of my first questions was "when can I take full possesion back so I can start fixing the damage?"

"Well the thing is", he went on to explain "that if the vehicle is a 'write off"( which he determined it was) "that the insurance company will own it."
Then I asked if I could buy back the "wreck" and he said he'd get back to me. Grrr, wasn't happy.  >:(
He rang us back the next day and said I could buy it back........ for one thousand bucks :o , Oh well! at least i'd get it back, so I agreed.
" Ok, thats good" he said, and went on " I'll organise a cheque for $500 and have it sent out within a week"

Um?  what the.......  :o" Hang on, you said it was worth 2k, and I buy it back for 1k, whats with the dodgy maths here"
" Oh, didn't I explain the clause where if you can't identify who stole the vehicle, there is a $500 excess!"

Bloody great, my car gets nicked, dumped in a dam, written off by the insurance company, and I get penalised because I couldn't identify the people who stole it!

It was right here where I really did wan't to know who stole it, and not just to get my $500 back, thats for sure!

We'll I didn't really have a choice at that stage, so I begrudginly agreed. I wanted to get started on repairing the Moke.
Halfpint
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:59:24 PM by Halfpint »

Nickomokeo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2011, 10:50:26 PM »
B----y H--l, which insurance company HP?

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »
Market value my ar__!!   >:(

You should have called their complaints department and the insurance ombudsman. 

Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
2013 Toyota Prado