Author Topic: Mokes don't float! Halfpints story so far.  (Read 24492 times)

For Petes Sake

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Mokes don't float! Halfpints story so far.
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
That’s crap… I heard of a bloke that successfully argued with an insurance company (with a different type of car) by producing photos depicting the condition etc, stating “I don’t want your money, I want a replacement car in exactly the same condition”. The insurance bloke made the mistake in saying “Can’t be done”. He replied “Well how the f*** can I do it then”… Insurance then came to a suitable agreement…
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:56:36 PM by Maddog »

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »
Just a small bit for today. Story will continue soon with more info. But this stuff just happened.

2 weeks ago I went to start the Moke to go to work, click.... click :o Its never done that before.
Battery was a bit low, sat for the weekend with the alarm on and just a few short runs during the week. :-[ so I put it on a battery charger over night which left the battery at 13 volts. Still a click... click and headlights and everything else worked. ??? ???
Tried to replace the solenoid... same result.
1/4 pint held the ingnition key on a bit long and I noticed an earth wire get a bit hot.
Put the original solinoid back and removed the starter motor. I used the jumper leads to test the starter direct from the battery and it spun out and up no worries ???." Must be a dropped cell in the battery" I thought, so I took it out and went to Bockmans to get it checked. He put it on the charger as it was a bit low and I went back next day to pick it up.
They put it on the tester and then put it under load and it started to drop in amps, only slightly, but it was 5 years old and winter here is a killer on batteries so I just bought a new one...... ouch ::).
When I fitted it this morning I had to pull just a bit on the main earh to body strap and it busted clean off at the end of the lug :o :o ::). Never had that happen before ::) so grabbed another lug, prepped and fitted it up and back in action, ready for a run up to Falls Creek on the weekend ;D ;D
Halfpint
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »
so was it actually the battery or was the lug causing the problem?
It would be interesting to try the old battery with the new lug..... or maybe it wouldn't now you have paid for the battery   >:(

Martin
Retired Stormtrooper

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »
I thought that too after I got home Martin. But it had to be the earth lead. It was after I left my old battery there and got home that I found the earth lead had broken ::) Oh well, repaired lead and plenty of crank amps now ;D its gettin down to zero at the moment here 8)
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »
5years from a battery, I reckon you got your moneys worth.
All mine seem to pack up around the 4 year mark.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 12:00:49 PM »
G'day everyone,
Noticed things a bit quite here on the forum, and a pretty horrible day outside so I'll add a bit more. ;D

It was February 1999,
GIO was the insurance company, it got bought out and changed hands not long after to AMP or something like that. At the time, I suppose it was roughly about the Market value, even though it was at the very lowest end. I'd had enough and just wanted to get on with it.
We sorted out the last bit of paperwork, and then after a tidy up of the workshop, we started the fix up.

Here is March 8th 1999, and little half/halfpint keeping a close eye on progress.

This was where the subbies were out. We found lots of the mud and sand from the wet Hay trip.

When I pulled it all down to the component level, it looked worse than it actually was.
All the bits and pieces I'd done over the years showed they were the right ones. Wheel bearings had no water at all get passed the seals, swing arm pins and needle rollers were the same. :o

The Body was put outside to give me a bit more room to move around in the shed.

The garbage bag came off the 1275 finally, and a complete car, minus the gearbox, was sprawled out all over the shed again. I wasn't sure what I was going to do about the gearbox, the murky water got into everything, and in hindsight I should have stripped/ split the engine and box straight away and cleaned it out, but I didn't, and when I got back to it a few weeks later, just couldnt trust it enough to go back in.

Now, we all know how it goes, cleaning bits takes a long time, and a day here and a day there, bit by individual bit was stripped, washed, bead blasted and repainted.
When we originally painted the Moke, we used 2 pack, and a good wash of the body and panels was all that was needed to restore it back to the same as before it went into the dam. Same with all the powder coated bits and pieces.
A different story to the all the other components where we used an enamel spray can. I think the dam was fairly acidic with cows, sheep and horses on the property, and everything washing into it. It left all these parts milky looking.

Halfpint.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:04:50 PM by Halfpint »

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 12:53:24 PM »
the pain the pain, I guess 2nd time around you were getting very good at rebuilding mokes.
Love your 1st picture of Halppint Junior with the subframe. Makes the moke look massive. ;D
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Darth Moke

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 04:40:08 PM »
Makes the moke look massive

agree, looks like a monster truck !!!!

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »
agree, looks like a monster truck !!!!
;D ;D ;D
Hi Darth, More like a Monster in front of a Truck!  ;) So there's the extra terestial mutant zombie part done,(well that's what hes turning into now he is a teenager), still got two nude girls running around screaming for help, and a couple of drug dealers to add yet ;D

Yeh Pete, it is a good pic, he got to spend a lot of time with me over that winter in the shed and got to know his way around all the trip hazards. He always enjoyed tinkering and playing with spanners while we worked on the Mokes.
Ive got to dig out some more photo's for the reassembly and scan them ::) A boring part for me, but oh well!
HP

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »
A boring part for me, but ....

yes HP, but we are enjoying it!

Martin
Retired Stormtrooper

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »
yes HP, but we are enjoying it!

Martin
Thanks Martin,
I'd hate to be just woffling on and boring everyone so early in the story, that comes later:o
Halfpint

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
Read 1276 times)

Yay, after I finished, surpassed engine size in views ;D

Sad isnt it, maybe I need a new project ??? :-X  :-X
HP

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 12:18:16 PM »
Yay, after I finished, surpassed engine size in views

bore and stroke it to 1380cc then  ;D
Retired Stormtrooper

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
bore and stroke it to 1380cc then  ;D
You are an ideas man, I like that, I've had another engine in for the last few years, but I'm jumping ahead of the story 8) ::)
HP

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
Iv'e been searching for an album, can't locate it just yet, but found this pic of the Wonthaggi Moke.
Not much of a pic I know, but a lot of the stuff was in the process of being removed,
like Cali Bumpers, Roll Bar( Seat belt holder) etc.

Lots was happening at the time, except photo's :-[ :(

Halfpint