Author Topic: Victorian 45/90 day Registration  (Read 2359 times)

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Victorian 45/90 day Registration
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:09:57 AM »
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone is signed up on this scheme, and what is involved?

Ive looked at vic roads and glanced at the permit form.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/OtherPermits/ClubPermits.htm

Do you need a roadworthy done every year?
Must you be in a car club? or can it be an association of some sort?

Having a third car (2nd Moke) is a goal, and the permit system would be good to use rather than $500/yr full rego for something that will only be out now and then.

Halfpint
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:11:39 AM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Victorian 45/90 day Registration
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:58:48 AM »
Hi,

You must be a member of a car club approved by Vicroads to enter the scheme and you only need to get the roadworthy once to join. MOA offers this to members.

Terry

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:32:28 AM »
It's a great system, three of my cars, including my Moke, are now on it.  Each club has different requirements, so if you are already a member of an eligible club, ask the Permit Admin about it.  (My Moke is actually registered through the Toyota car club.)  Some clubs inspect the cars themselves rather than requiring an official RWC.  There is also discussion within Vicroads around dispensing with special red numberplates and instead fixing a tag or badge to a regular plate.  This would allow the cars to retain their original number or use a personalized plate.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:57:58 AM by bnicho »
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

melbournerob

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »
Halfpint

Its a great system - I have my Moke on it through the MOA. The reality for me is that while I'd love to use my Moke for more than 90 days a year that just doesn't happen, and the savings are worth it. The RWC to start the process is a nuisance, sure - lets face it all of us have something that needs to get repaired to achieve the RWC, but if you look at it as a forced safety check (and that has to be a good thing!) then its a small impost.

Rob
1973 Export Moke (Dad's Toy)
1972 Standard Moke (Dad's Toy 2)

and a garage full of spare parts/rusty bits...

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »
Thanks for that Terry, Brett and Rob.

Really, a Roadworthy is just a formality for me, I wont put a non roadworthy car on the road knowing something wasn't ok.
I would like to hear from all you fellow Mokers your opinions though.
Are there any pitfalls with this system, like different clubs requiring something special? Difficult reporting or paperwork or info etc?
Do you have to use a special number plate or can the number plate that its currently fully registered with be used?

I've wanted to join a car club for a while, not just for this Rego thing, and would rather it be a MOKE centric type club, specially since joining the Forum. The MOA Vic is the obvious one but seems more Melbourne district focused, not that there is any wrong with that at all, thats where many Moke owners are, just I wouldn't be able to be very involved in many of the things that form part of being in a club.

There are a few members of a group here in the Nth East part of Vic, but its not an official club as such. I can't even make a NEMOG (Nth East Mini Owners Group) meeting ::)

Cheers
Halfpint

The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

minsta

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
Hiya Halfpint,

I have mine on the 90 day scheme and it's excellent.

Well worth the $500 rego saving, and is cheaper on insurance too.

I have been a Vic Mini Club Member for ten odd years, so got mine through them. Pottsy was great, and it was easy as.

I've only used mine circa 20 days since about February - so have around 70 left.

My only concern is that as the weather gets nicer I may come close to the full quota.

I should be okay though, as I'm off back to the UK for most of Christmas and New Year, so should have at least three days a week for Moking.

If not enough days, you could always get full rego just after, and it has been a cheaper year-ish of driving anyway.

PS - don’t bother with the 45 day though!

cheers! Jon

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:37:14 AM »
HP,

At the moment when you start a club permit the car is issued with yucky dark red numberplates in the form "99999.H" with "CLUB PERMIT" at the top, and you don't get to choose the number.   

The old number must be put on self retention or handed back to VicRoads. 

As per my previous post, VicRoads is considering allowing use of normal plates with an extra badge or tag attached to identify the car is on a club permit. 

It's up to each club to say how they administer the scheme and what they will accept. 

Some one marque clubs will only approve cars of that marque.  Some clubs require x months of membership before you can apply.  Some clubs allow modifications, some don't.  If you are not already in a club it would be worth shopping around the local clubs to see what their requirements are. 

To give you an idea, the Toyota Car Club of Vic requirements are:
- You attend at least one meeting before joining and/or applying for the permit.
- You submit the club's own form to the Club Permit Admin with photos attached giving details of the car and especially all modifications.
- If the club is happy with the vehicle in principle you pay a $40 fee to have one of the club's two scrutineers attend your home/work and inspect the vehicle for safety issues and ensure the description matches the club form.  Or you can get an RWC if you prefer. 
- Once the scrutineer is happy he provides an inspection report (or you provide your RWC) to the Club Permit Admin who will then sign the VicRoads form. 
- You take the inspection report (or your RWC) and VicRoads form to VicRoads, pay the fee and get your plates, rego label and logbook. 

The issue of not requiring an RWC is a contraversial one but I personally think one of the benefits of the scheme.  I'm sure most of us have stories of cars being failed for an RWC on the stupidest of things.  But if my club under the Club Permit system does not require me to get an official RWC, then I'm happy with that. 

I'd wager that many Mokes on this forum would have features that are perfectly safe or even normal for a Moke, but don't necessarily meet RWC guidelines.  These are things a club scrutineer will understand better than an RWC inspector who does 20 Falcadores a day for the local used car lots.  Some examples of items commonly seen on Mokes that should fail an RWC:

- Non-standard rollbars that have seatbelt mounts technically need to be engineer approved.
- Non-standard seats in cars after 1968, front or rear, should be engineer approved.
- Minor oil leaks.
- Wheel/tyre combos that stick outside the guards slightly or contact any part of the bodywork or suspension on full lock or rebound.
- Missing or inoperative pollution controls (air pump and/or charcoal canister) after 1975.
- Wipers that don't park after 1971. 

I once had an RWC inspector who is very familiar with Minis/Mokes tell me a Mini/Moke was designed to have a tiny amount of ball-joint play, but he still needed to fail the car if any was detected, because that is what the law says. 

I wouldn't drive my Moke with any problem I consider unsafe and I do check it thoroughly every few months. 

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
2013 Toyota Prado

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:59:07 AM »
Thanks for that guys
HP

spider

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
I am very un-impressed with this scheme, since we don't have it here.
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »
I am very un-impressed with this scheme, since we don't have it here.

NSW have some sort of equivalent historic rego scheme but I am not sure they are on the log book style which Victoria introduced in Feb 2011.

Terry

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »
The NSW scheme is basically the same as the old VIC scheme.  Club events only. 
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
2013 Toyota Prado

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »
We've had a similar scheme in Tassie for several years, but its administered by the government not clubs. Ours gives you 52 goes a year. I'd like to put the Moke onto it but I'm told that they are really strict about emission control gear and oil leaks, I don't have the former but I do have the latter.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »
Hi,

The victorian scheme is government controlled, VicRoads, and even has its own piece of legislation but the Clubs provide the input and direction via AOMC and the Federation as their representative groups. The individual clubs involvement is to ensure people are members of a club and the onus is then on the Clubs to ensure members follow the spirit of the scheme or then officialdom gets involved.

Terry

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »
I see. There's no club involvement with our SI scheme. The vehicle is inspected by an authorised inspection station (like for a roadworthy) and the inspector decides whether the vehicle comes up to scratch. The SI scheme (for Special Interest) is only supposed to be cars that are over 30 years old and are high quality examples of the model, no shit heaps in other words.

You get a log book and have to fill it out before leaving home. It has enough spaces for 52 entries, and if you get pulled over and haven't filled out the logbook you're in trouble. The rego plates are black on white and all start with 'SI' so that the police and transport inspectors know who to hassle.

Tim

1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.