Author Topic: Gulliver  (Read 44844 times)

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Gulliver
« on: September 08, 2011, 03:48:22 AM »
Ever since I've owned my Moke,  I have had some great fun driving places, mostly local..... nearly everyday I drove it.  8)
Its never let me down unexpectedly on big trips, 1000k's return was the biggest, with many just a few hundred K's. 8) 8) Like Hay Mini Nationals when I could, or lots of camping trips, overnight sight seeing runs and fishing trips with the kids.

But then I heard about and visited the Moke Muster in Shepparton back in 2006. :o I'd never seen more than a few mokes together at the same time in the 15 yrs of owning mine. It was awsome, I was very suprised that a get together of this size was possible and wished I could have been there for more than just a day trip :(.

Then Wagga came along in 2009. Didn't know what to expect and was able to string a few days off and went along, didnt know many people, but what the hey. Well thats another story, another Moke.  :D

It was around this time that I heard of the Moke forum.
Terry did a presentation after dinner one night and asked if all of the Moke Forum Members would stand up ???. There weren't too many of us sitting  ??? ::).
I wasn't very internet savvy, thats for sure. So when we got home I signed up and checked it out. Did a lot of reading, lots and lots of reading....... and saw people helping each other with thier Mokes. A bit of banter, and some stirring each other about things like a lack of progress, or silly callender pics, it was all thrown in and fun to watch ( we all know the one with a flower and Grill).

Then I started to see some things that surprised me :o.

Stories of Mokes going bush :o

Not just up the hills, Bloody full on OutBack OZ bush ??? ???  :o, and Top End Adventures :o :o  8), East to West :o and back again...... 8).

I had to get me some of this action ;D so I started looking for the Base Moke.
The one that would travel big distances, be comfortable, take the rough stuff, carry all the gear, and be something I'd be proud to own ;)
So to find it !
It had to meet a very strict criteria........ Very late model, very good nick, all the very good bits, and very cheep :P :P................

Well, back in June 2011, I finally found one. ;D
I had to make a few compromises though :o :o ;D

I only just got a copy, so here it is, as found.

But first I had to make room and clean up this mess :-[ :-[

Geez, once I emptied all the shelves and draws, it was a lot worse than this :-[
But after about 3 weeks, eventually got it sorted and I am still having trouble finding things ;D

More picks to come
( I know, I need to add more to my other thread, but I'm only 10 yrs behind now ;D)

Halfpint

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:58:17 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Re: Guliver
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:44:36 AM »
not another one of theses thrillers :'( :'( :'(............. I cant take it.. >:( >:( >:( >:(

the story is too good to wait...

what are you doing to us HP :o

mavro

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
Nah Mav,
This is a start to finish rebuild thread.
It will be a purpose build Moke.
I hav'nt been set up and ready for a big trip, and my current moke is set up different. Don't want to change it either.
I've started cleaning and refurbing little things, money isnt a thing I have at the moment. So slowly slowly. :D
Cheers
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 01:00:36 PM »
Looking good there Tony. I think you cheated a bit with your before photo though because your trailer certainly doesn't look like that these days :p

Your plan/idea is something I certainly have in mind and it's a shame I am not in a similar position to have the opportunity to undergo such a build. A few things are taking priority although it seems I may be purchasing a new (read:old) addition to our H series Holden ranks which will need some cash and plenty of time in the long run but it's early days.

I just hope that in 10 years time whe I probably get the chance to do myself a moke like you have planned that these trips are still happening and the knowledge and expertise is still floating around.

Well done and I shall certainly be watching your thread for updates and photos.

Samm

seamoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Sea moke Vic
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »
Good stuff H/P

Love the name........very clever indeed!

Seamoke
Life Goes Better With Mokes!

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:48:33 PM »
G'day HP,
          Good onya a nice project you have there. Its great
when you have an idea to work towards. If you ever get
to go on one of those trips you'll never regret it. I had a
ball. I also learned a lot and will be better prepaired and
set up for my next adventure as like you i'm going to buid
a purpose built moke.

Cheers Tony

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:21:42 PM »
Cheers Guys,
Yep Samm, it was a little while ago I took that pick of the mess in the shed, ( December last year) But I can assure you it got far worse :-[. I had to sort it all out, so it all came off the shelves and onto the floor. Threw a fair bit out, Junk really ;) Then put it all back in a bit of an orderly fashion.
The trailer only got another paint job 2 weeks before Wagga!.
Tony, thanks for the support, Ive been watching all the things you guys did as prep, and read a fair bit about some other trips, so I hope I can remember all tips and tricks and learn as I go ;D

Can't wait, and I hope by this time next year all the stars will allign and "a travelling we will go" 8)

Gulliver is a good car, fairly straight body, and almost no rust. Very happy with that ;D.
Just a lot of bolt on bits are no good and will need replacing :(
But thats life, and just means it will take a bit longer :( Oh well.

The previous owner sure liked Selastic, it was everywhere.  >:( I hate this stuff, its an acid cure and eats at everything.

Even the wipers need to be replaced. Note the nail ::)

A lot of the original gear has been removed and replaced with earlier stuff, they even went to the trouble of shortening the original winscreen frame and welding the offcut back on the earlier one :o
Then the side screens needed to be modified to fit.

Tops of the seats have been uncerimoniasly hacked off! ::)

Must have lost the keys ::) "Ok " I can hear them say " Lets just smash off the old ignition and fit something else, now to just hack out the shroud....... thats better" ::)

Dash is out of a '78 or '79 model, note the brake fail light (late ) and wiper switch(early).

So it was time to fire up the heater and start. Funds are very low at the moment, but most things just need time preparing them.

Everything else is worn out, which is fine by me., no dents or bends on subbies etc, even the trailing arm pins are in resonable nick  :D. Even if some bits were servicable ie wheel bearings, I need to start with new ones anyway.

Yeha........

Cheers
Tony

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:26:29 PM by Halfpint »

• Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:51:21 PM »
Is the body going to be sandblasted / beadblasted ?

could help / or not, with the clean up of the body

mavro

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:42:38 AM »
Sounds like a plan HP  :)  :)  :)

Ah, the iconic CUB heater. So nice of them to distribute all those free DIY heater kits around the country  ;D

Newie

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »
HP, that ignition switch is from a Mini Clubman, although they are not normally mounted in that position! 

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 05:20:54 PM »
Sounds like a plan HP  :)  :)  :)

Ah, the iconic CUB heater. So nice of them to distribute all those free DIY heater kits around the country  ;D

Newie
I found them smashed up at the tip years ago :P Really ;)

I thought it was a clubby brett, all the wiring is butchered around this area as well! Thats Ok, it can easily be replaced.

Mav, I'm not all that fussed about the paint just at the moment, as long as all the mechanicals and electrics are robust, at this stage I'll just panel beat it straight and give a quick lick of colour, and over time get back to dressing it up. Mrs HP has a colour theme we will follow, but we need to put the funds to work on the important bits first.

Cheers
HP

spider

• Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 07:55:05 AM »

Halfpint

That is just sick, I mean it is a real sign of illness  :o

Good luck with the build mate  ;)
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 05:29:41 PM »
Hi,
Engine bay was awsome, so much bling ::)
Its a pretty old 1100, no engine numbers legible at all, but a stroke measurement says  1100.
Its not the one going back in, thats for sure.

What the :o :o :o ??? ??? ???

Widscreen frame weld, again, What the :o :o :o ??? ??? ???

Special hitch hickers

HP

• Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 05:35:12 PM »

Were are my sunnies.... 8) 8) 8) 8) so much bling

HP, dont change a thing ;D ;D ;D

mavro

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »
I know Mav, you just wish you could bottle it all and save it :D

I did some referbing of the gear remote and put it my other thread, but it belongs to Guliver.

https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php/topic,7631.60.html

I have a Gearbox that I'm rebuilding now, new Baulk ring and bearings etc, and made a central pick up to fit the other day, just need to get time back in the shed and finish putting it back together.

I'm recording all this stuff, I know when I look back in a few years even I might say " Wow, Big Job".
I'm really chuffed with the car, sure, some work to do and some bits to find, but all up its going to be great fun finished, and way more fun Getting it there 8)
HP