Author Topic: Gulliver  (Read 44835 times)

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: Guliver
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 07:03:16 PM »
Thanks Cabby. :)

Well had a few hrs today in the shed :o ;D

Degreased the subbie and pressure washed enough of the rubbish off to prep for welding.

And when waiting for the degreaser to soak in put the speedo drive back together.

Then I finally started on the diff ::) As normal, when I pulled the sun gears out and removed the output, the fibre thrust washer was snapped in half on one side, and in this pic you can see whats left of the other side ::) Also the bearing I removed had lost the bearing cage at some stage.
This Diff was about to go BANG, and I think I caught it just in time 8).
Also you can see the brass thrust washers that I salvaged from the diff of a 3 speed crash box. These don't break 8)

Now, a question?,
A few diffs Ive done up have the sun gear thrust turning on the diff body and wearing into it.
I have an idea ::)
The new thrust are supplied with a tab that should be cut off for pre Rover Box's. But, if straightened out, the end of the tab will rest against the crown wheel and stop it from rotating and wearing into the the Diff cage.
Similarly, the other end you could drill and fit a scrivet to stop that end.
What do you think, can it work?

Halfpint
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »
Sorry I cant help HP..
but I gotta say you are gr8 on the engine bit..I wish I was handy like that..

mav.

spider

• Registered Member

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »
What do you think, can it work?
Halfpint

Mate, notch the Diff Hemisphere, like the late ones that the thrusts are made for, or, there is a good chance I'll have one. I don't use them anymore  ;D
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Benjamin

• Registered Member

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
Half pint, you just made all clear to me I know understand tower bolts. Thanks man.

Always appreciate your tear down shots thanks.

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
Hi Halfpint, the loss of the bearing cage is what happened to me a few years back. I didn't catch it and destroyed the gearbox  :(
Word of warning to all, if you find little hard non metallic bits in your oil when you change it, take note. This is probably the bearing cage breaking up. Did some of the bearings have metal cages??
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 09:53:16 AM »
but I gotta say you are gr8 on the engine bit..I wish I was handy like that..

Yeah, but he's cheating Mav - he is actually a mechanic  :)

By the way, it's actually the diff that he's working on which is a different bit to the engine - but I know what you meant  ;)

Newie

P.S. Way over my head too, but looks/sounds impressive HP  :)

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
Thanks everyone :D and its ok Spider, I'm gunna finish this box std right through... for now....Bahahaha

But Newie, I gave up on being a Motor Mechanic the year after the JB Camira came out,( I need a vomiting emotacon here) and went into industrial spanner spinning.. Much better only having the one customer  ;) ;)

Any way, as I was inspecting the hemisphere, the bushes that the outputs run in had too much play.
Checked up part numbers and got a couple of quotes. One each from Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.
2pm yesterday rang in an order, 1pm today arrived.
I have bought a fair bit from these guys over the years and never had a problem (other than not supplying ring sets for 1 piston ::))

http://www.karcraft.com.au/home.php
I don't think they are on the parts suppliers list in FAQ?

So I'll fit them tomorrow and get the reamers out to properly size them.
I'll take some pics so those of you that don't know what they look like can see them ;)  ;D

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »
But Newie, I gave up on being a Motor Mechanic the year after the JB Camira came out,( I need a vomiting emotacon here)

As good a reason as any  :P

I had a feeling you never actually still did it for a living, but still had more training than most of us  :D

http://www.karcraft.com.au/home.php
I don't think they are on the parts suppliers list in FAQ?

There is no actual list on the FAQ page, just links to posts that list recommendations. I've added yours to one of those though. A good excuse to revive a useful thread if nothing else  :)

Newie

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »
+1 for Karcraft.  Brilliant service.   8)
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2011, 08:33:11 AM »
Well I grabbed the reamers,

And the bearing and seal fitting kit

Measured the inboard CV shaft and set the adjustable reamer to just touch the bush in the side covers.

Shaft measured 31.75 mm (1.250"), and the fitted bush ID was 31.49. So several reams at .02 incriments.

Slowly, slowly, bit by bit till its just the right size.( with a bit of clearance of course)

This was removed from both side covers.

Then the crown wheel and a different sized reamer, but same procedure.
Shaft measured 26.07mm (1.0265") and the fitted bush ID was 25.87mm.

Then the Hemisphere bush.

And last of all, the notch to stop the thrust bearing spinning and wearing big gouges into the hemisphere body.  Thanks again Spider, another nice fix ;)

So 3 hrs of set, do, clean.... Now to put it back together, fit bearings, and set it up back on the box ::)

Halfpint.

Smarty

• Registered Member

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »
Thats a nice reamer set HP, where abouts did you pick them up from and were they expensive?

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 03:11:49 AM »
Gday there Smarty,
Yep they certainly are a nice set. I know that everytime I open up the box, I look up at the roof and in my best "Tim the Tool man" voice let out a bit of a "Oh Oh Oh Oh  owwwww" ;D
Cheers
HP

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 03:42:29 AM »
Nice job HP. 8) I've got a few of these to do, so after any tips you have to share... ;)

BTW, what's going on here?

I can only dream of such a neat organized workshop! :o I'd happilly have my appendix out there. ;D

MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 04:48:33 AM »
Nice job HP. 8) I've got a few of these to do, so after any tips you have to share... ;)

BTW, what's going on here?

I can only dream of such a neat organized workshop! :o I'd happilly have my appendix out there. ;D

MD.

Hi MD.
Thanks ;D
Even though our Machine Shop at work is not what it used to be, we still look after the kit as if it were our own. Never know when we might use on our own stuff  ;)  ;)  ;).
I was holding the Reamer in the vice and it was easier to evenly grip the body and apply light downward pressure as I turned it.
Some tips:
- Never "slide". Allways keep turning as it moves down. If you slide it straight up or down it may cut lines in the bush and distort your hole.
- Never turn backwards, even when coming back up, keep turning in the cutting direction.
- Small cuts.
- Keep it dead square.  Use 1 hand either side at all times. Same as when using a Tap wrench on your reamer, not both hands swinging off the one side with a shifter  >:(
- If you have a few to do the same size, have them all ready and do them all at each size adjustment, then reset and go again.
- Always smile as you go, its for the Moke  ;D

Halfpint

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »

Hi Halfpint, the loss of the bearing cage is what happened to me a few years back. I didn't catch it and destroyed the gearbox  :(
Word of warning to all, if you find little hard non metallic bits in your oil when you change it, take note. This is probably the bearing cage breaking up. Did some of the bearings have metal cages??

Hi Pete,
Here is a pic showing the old bearing with a plastic cage and the new bearing with a metal cage. Should be much better.

Been a bit busy over the weekend, so will set up and shim the diff during the week and she will be ready to go 8)

I set up the subby at a better working height to fit the sump guard I made a few years back and never got around to finish ::)

HP