Author Topic: Gulliver  (Read 45007 times)

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Gulliver
« Reply #750 on: November 16, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #751 on: November 16, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »
Wow, thanks guys, yes it really is something we need to consider.
I’m hoping that the tent on the trailer and it’s contents will give a slight positive bias forward.
How good are those videos. Thanks T.O.M  ;)
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

FNQ

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #752 on: November 17, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »
nice video, thank you

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #753 on: December 30, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »
I've been playing again today with the next step of setting up an auxiliary battery setup.
Some more new leads soldered up.

Then setting up a board and checking it all works.

I checked my start battery and it was at 12.4 volts.
My Calcium 120 amp hr battery charge was at 13.4 volts
Then i started Gulliver, and ........

Charging at 15 volts  ;D ;D
So, cant wait to finish wiring everything up now. 

I have 2 fused leads coming from my main battery, one to my pull out tray that I used today for testing and can use if traveling without the trailer, and the other goes to the back of the Moke where the trailer can be plugged in. This is where the auxiliary battery will live when travelling with the camper trailer. 
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #754 on: January 02, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »
And it continues.
After many conversations with people about tyres, I ended up ordering and going with a set of Bridgstone R623 175 13. Had them fitted today.

They look very similar to the Faulken tyres. Hope their as good  :)
Ill get to test them soon on another short run.

HP

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Awaiting next project
« Reply #755 on: January 02, 2019, 09:24:42 PM »
They look great HP - Happy New Year

Cheers Adrian

FNQ

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #756 on: January 03, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »
hi tony, looking good as usual.

Do you mind sharing the source for the curly wires connected to your anderson plugs and what wattage they are rated to> ( pm if preferred)

I have found curly wire but the cross section area brings in the amperage a bit to0 low for my possible intended use.

I have put a 120 amp anderson plug on my towing vehicle/van for my small winch ( the peak winch draw is probably only 54 amps so i probably could have done with the standard 50 amp anderson,, BUT my van is the only one i know of that runs 120 amp plugs.    if i rig my jump starter backpack with 50 amp curly wire and a 50 amp plug, i can have redundancy for when i tow the trailer  without my van ( which does happen ) and or i can use my backpack to assist others and i have two sources of battery power . I would just double wire the winch post to accept both 120 amp and 50 amp anderson plugs.   

Please note curly wire isn't really necessary for me, but seeing your rig got me jealous...

Dale

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    It is better to burn out than slowly rust away.
« Reply #757 on: January 03, 2019, 08:54:23 PM »
HP
Tyres look good. Let us know how they go.
Happy new year.
Dale
Yesterday's History. Tomorrow's a Mystery. So live for today.
Carroll Shelby
1981 Californian, Maggie Moke

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #758 on: January 04, 2019, 04:43:39 AM »
Thanks Guys, Im hoping the tyres are as tough as the maxxis ones. Only had the one puncture on all the trips on that set.

Darryl, this is where I got the Curley cords, they do have heavy duty leads that can run 80amp continuous, but can get even heavier as well.
http://www.curlycords.com.au/curlycords/12v-24v-dc-power-curly-cords/

Cheers
HP

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #759 on: January 08, 2019, 12:44:37 PM »
Hi,
Pretty much done now (Except I dont have a Solar panel, yet  ;)).
Added a 300 watt inverter and its all been mounted into a battery box. This gives me the versatility to use it in any of my cars or trailers.

Ran my fridge for just a few hrs and didnt lose much power out of the battery.

Hoping to give it a good shakedown run behind Gulliver a couple of hrs down stream on the Aussie day weekend. Will be interesting to see how much charge I can get into the battery, and how well it runs the fridge for a couple of days without driving.

Fun, Fun  ;D
HP

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #760 on: January 08, 2019, 07:56:24 PM »
A cool set up there Tony,

Didn't think to put the spare battery in a box as well? Just to protect it from things floating around?

Keen to hear how it all goes on your shake down run.

Samm

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #761 on: January 08, 2019, 07:58:54 PM »
Hi,

what was the problem with the car lights on your last shake down run to Melbourne?

Terry

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #762 on: January 08, 2019, 09:56:57 PM »
what was the problem with the car lights on your last shake down run to Melbourne?
Before I came down to Geelong and then back into Melbourne, I put the trailer on both Mokes during the day, checked blinkers and brake lights, and then did a few hrs of local driving to see how it all felt with the tent mounted up so high. Didn't realize I'd blown the parkers fuse until we drove late at night. Once I replaced the fuse the next morning it was all good.
When I got home, the same fuse had blown in PRU. I haven't even looked into it Terry, once I replaced the fuses they have worked fine. Since then I've only been playing with the battery setup, but now Ive sorted that out, next job is the parker circuit in the trailer, shouldn't take long at all but I do need to get it sorted before I head to Ulupna  ;D.

And Hi Samm, long time no hear mate  ;D
I had the battery in an ARK POWERPACK but it was too tall to fit into my little trailer. I'm going to cover the battery with some rubber matting for now. I could spend another $40 on a bare battery pack like what all the charging system is in, but its likely that a new AGM battery will be needed by the time I do a really big run, and they can fit into a shorter battery pack.

Really looking forward to another good run for a couple of nights. Should be enough to see if there is any more to do to it before I strip and re paint and do everything up on it.
HP
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:42:27 PM by Halfpint »

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #763 on: January 10, 2019, 02:22:58 PM »
Top job. Let us know how those tyres perform.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

FNQ

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #764 on: January 10, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »
thanks for the cord info tony.

A friend of mine has run r623 on several hiace type vans - from 8 seater to 14 and rates them well. i run them on my heavy ( 3 Tonne) van and rate them well also.  I think different versions run different ply numbers in side wall - but prior to knowing that - i haven't heard of any staking events in any form. Although his vans are predominantly black tar runners he lives in country NSW and does his fair share of gravel road, and is always taking them into bare paddocks- so far without issue- so again they seem well made.  In my setting i run at the upper edge of the psi load range -regardless of load---- i run 60psi -the  bridgestone chappies who fitted them - said run them slightly high , then if you start wearing them in the middle only -deflate accordingly--- probably more related to the weight and camber of my rig. but his service centre dealt with a lot of sprinter vans courier vans etc - and so far his advice has been good.   Now having said all that - none may be applicable to a rig with a total combined weight of just over a tonne--- so more to share a story then give advice.  Cheers Darryl