Author Topic: Gulliver  (Read 44840 times)

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: Gulliver
« Reply #765 on: January 18, 2019, 09:35:56 PM »
Of course Pete, Tyres are very important and there arent that many with a heavy wall to suit a 13" rim.
And Thanks Darryl, your advice is always intuitive and very welcome  ;)

Looks like Im going to have to wait a bit longer to go for a run, high temps continue right along the Murray River and as much as I'd like to go Moke Glamping , 40 degree day forecasts make for uncomfortable leisure times  ::).

HP

The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #766 on: January 19, 2019, 03:22:21 PM »
I think different versions run different ply numbers in side wall - but prior to knowing that - i haven't heard of any staking events in any form.
I did a lot of research on the light truck tyres before I made my purchase in August and I am going to write it up for Mokewerx but I found LT tyres are mostly 8ply. Specifications either had no mention of the # of plys or they said 8 ply. The plys don't really apply to the sidewalls but they are much sturdier than car tyres.

I went for the Falken Linam R51 which were in the higher price range but look less like Truck tyres than others available. I have been very happy with them, particularly in the wet where I was advised of some other cheaper brands tend to be very slippery in the wet.

Interestingly it changed the way I drove in that I was more cautious on the bitumen but a bit gung-ho on the dirt roads feeling my tyres were invincible. :)

Terry
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:15:57 PM by Terry »

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #767 on: February 09, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
what was the problem with the car lights on your last shake down run to Melbourne?
Terry

Well, turned out that one of the screws I used to mount the Anderson plug had squashed and shorted the tail light wire 
that runs through the channel::), Ive shortened the screw and hopefully the wire is ok, so far so good.

Boydie and I were planning to test the campers just a few K's up the road on the Murray River, but Alpine asked if we could give him a hand so we decided to stay the night at the same time up around Mt Beauty.
It all worked great, and I guess we will always be tweeking things, but all in all Im really happy with it.
Only thing is, Boydie was set up and beer in hand 4 or 5 minutes before me  ;D, geez those hard top campers set up so quick and easy.
Something else I had to fix was the exhaust. The tail pipe came out directly below the tow bar and I was a bit worried that the exhaust was too close to the trailer wiring that all runs down the draw bar RHS. Done a cut n shut to direct it away from it all.

Interestingly it changed the way I drove in that I was more cautious on the bitumen but a bit gung-ho on the dirt roads feeling my tyres were invincible. :)

As it should be Terry  ;), I havnt had mine long enough the make a call yet, but the run up the mountain was no problem with grip on the windy bits.

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #768 on: February 10, 2019, 07:50:20 AM »
Should have added this pic out front of the "Ranga" on the way out to Alpines place.

HP

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #769 on: May 18, 2019, 10:39:28 PM »
Its been 5 years since I started to try and build a new motor for Guliver  ::),

https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=7886.msg156944#msg156944
Every time I tried to make a start, something came up, Like a crashed PRU for instance  :'(.

So its time to try again  ;D

Tonight I punched the welch plugs into the block. Oh the sweet smell of STAG Sealant  :D ( and then 20 minutes of scrubbing to get it off my hands).

I have started to get all the bits from under the bench and lay them out so I can assemble it over the next few weeks.
Time to get settled in for winter  ;D

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:16:50 AM by Halfpint »

Samm

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #770 on: May 20, 2019, 09:58:40 AM »
Good stuff HP.

What are the specs of the new donk?

Samm

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #771 on: May 20, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »
Good stuff HP.
What are the specs of the new donk?
Samm
Hi Samm, its nothing special.
When I got the engine, one of the bores had a big score in it, Id say it had a piston failure.
I had a new sleeve fitted and all the bore's machined out to +.040". Standard 1100s cam and the crank ground .010" on all journals.
Everything was balanced. Thats about it.
I just hope it will pull my trailer a little easier than the 1100 does. Not that it cant do it, Gulivers 1100 is very smooth to drive and really reliable, but oh my, just a hint of a hill or head wind and I get much more time to admire the passing scenery as we climb in 2nd gear  ;D.
Ive always been happy with the sub 6, 0 to 100kph ( sub 6 minutes that is), but a few more ponnies wont hurt.
Cheers
HP

matpaul

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #772 on: May 20, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
I would be interested to follow this build. There are many threads on engine builds but I learn something more each time I read through one. It would be good to read another one, especially from someone who has done it before.
Cheers,
Mathew.
Cheers,
Mathew.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #773 on: May 20, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »
Hi,

I saw the picture of the block with all the wood in the background and thought you were going to build something interesting like a steam powered Moke. :)

Terry

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #774 on: May 21, 2019, 06:51:48 AM »
Hi There
I thought HP must of been warming it up to get the pistons to fit  :D

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #775 on: May 21, 2019, 02:03:01 PM »
Hi,
I dont think I could really add anything special in the rebuild Mathew, I just spend a little too much time cleaning parts that dont really need so much attention   ::). But I hope it helps motivate you to give it a go when you need to  :)

Hmmm Terry, a steam driven Moke hey, a very novel idea, let me see what I can do  ;D

Close Cheezle, a few spelling errors there  ;D maybe it should read something like " warming up to get pissed and see if everything fits"  ;D ;D ;D
I did warm the block up a little, after I fitted the welch plugs and cleaned up the excess stag, I gave it a coat of paint, stoked up the heater while having my first beer, then went inside to watch the Friday night footy. Wrong priorities really because I need to build this and the new gear box and then run it all in so its ready for another big run  8).

HP

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #776 on: May 21, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »
Hmmm Terry, a steam driven Moke hey, a very novel idea, let me see what I can do  ;D
HP

After typing that I started thinking about what would be required to make a Moke Motor steam powered and to start with it would need a very different camshaft to make it a two stroke, no need for an intake and compression stroke. :) You don't need a distributor and coil either. :)

Terry

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #777 on: May 21, 2019, 11:33:01 PM »
Any one here old enough to remember Mr Pritchard and his steam engined XM? falcon driving around the streets of Melbourne.  I think the main problem he had was people continually walking in front of it at lights because they thought it had stalled.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #778 on: June 09, 2019, 11:03:20 PM »
I just wonder how a Falcon would run a boiler and carry the water required to make steam efficiently. Its interesting considering I help run Boilers at work. But then again, I dont personaly think I'd like to try it in a car. I did talk with guys at work about this topic and one of them said he watched a car mod show that featured the ROAD HAUK STEAM JEEP, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjcj9IuQIw ,there's a few more if your keen, look it up on youtube, its pretty cool.

Back to reality though and the good ol' A series engine  :)
Today I fired up the heater in the shed and warmed up some engine bits( Timing chain cover, clutch housings, etc etc) and then painted them. I fitted the Cam and lifters. Measured all the rings in 2 places in the bore( I didnt have to file any this time  :)) ) and then went inside and commondeered the coffee table in the lounge room and fitted all the rings to the pistons whilst I watched the Rugby League and had a late lunch.

I couldnt find anyone who had a burett, so I mugged a diabetic and stole his insulen serynge so I could see what capacity the dish in the piston was.

Then I filed a small bevel on each of the Main and big end bearings before fitting them into the block and caps.

It was here that things came to a screaming halt as I opened the Thrust bearings and tried to fit them. I'd ordered 1275 thrusts .003" over size as I like to set the end float of the crank as close to the minimum as I can by reducing the backing plate on some 1000 grade wet and dry untill I get it down to just the right clearance. Any way, my supplyer packed the 998/1100 thrusts by mistake  ::). I cant and wont really complain, of all the orders i've made with these guys, this is the first time they have made any sort of mistake, and lets face it, its just 1 number out in the part number. Oh well, it can wait till next week, its not like there isnt something else I can do till then.

So, as always with Moke stuff, you never get as much done as you would like to, but then again, I wasnt in any hurry today, it was a day off after all  ;)

HP

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:04:53 PM by Halfpint »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #779 on: June 10, 2019, 09:09:42 AM »
HP,

what did the dish in the pistons measure up at? And what brand are they?

I have a dash on my dining room table that I am slowly building up. :)

Terry