Author Topic: Gulliver  (Read 45040 times)

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Gulliver
« Reply #855 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:11 AM »
Great Result Tony.
Can't add much re rockers other than I have lots here and they all seem to be different. Is No3 the one with the washer spacer thingy on it?
I assume that is a snorkel set up for the air, how does it attach to the carb and where is it on the outside?
Cheers Dave.
Cheers, Dave

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #856 on: March 20, 2020, 08:25:27 PM »
Is No3 the one with the washer spacer thingy on it?
I assume that is a snorkel set up for the air, how does it attach to the carb and where is it on the outside?
Hey Dave, it is up against the post that has the rocker shaft locator set screw. There is no spacer, if I did put one in here, it would have spaced the rocker way off centre to push on top of the valve stem.
The inlet of the carbie is just a rubber elbow held onto the throat by a hose clamp. Then it connects to a Donaldson air cleaner mounted on the front guard.

Re did the head bolts and tappets last night. Fitted the roof back on today and put the dash back together. Started it up and set the timing with a light and then took it for a slow run around the block this arvo, seemed to be all fine so far.
After I mow the lawns first thing in the morning I'll give him a quick wash so I can see out of the windscreen a bit and we will take him for a 50km run in drive.

Cheers
HP
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:41:51 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #857 on: March 22, 2020, 08:12:47 AM »
Hi,
Happy to report that Gulliver was put through some tests yesterday and all went really well.

After filling up with fuel, I picked Boydie up and we went just out of town to some of our steepest local roads and put Gulliver through some load tests. A bit of pinging was quickly fixed by adjusting the dizzy on the run and he pulled us up the hills well.

The gearbox is shifting nice, and the Quaif diff does make the Moke feel a bit different, not in a bad way at all, just a little heavier on the steering when either accelerating or decelerating while cornering. Wont take long to get used to it.
Had to do a slight adjustment of the clutch when I got home after a bit of difficulty getting reverse, just a little bit of a crunch as I selected it.

So far the only oil leak was a small weep that came from the tappet cover gasket, hopefully that's all for now.

Cant wait to get the trailer on and load all my gear in and see how it copes with it.

Cheers all  ;D
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #858 on: March 22, 2020, 10:11:19 AM »
and the Quaif diff does make the Moke feel a bit different, not in a bad way at all, just a little heavier on the steering when either accelerating or decelerating while cornering.

I found that when I was running the Quaiffe in DS also, things felt heavy.

Do you adjustable lower arms and tie rod/castor bar?

Terry

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #859 on: March 22, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »
Great to hear it all went well HP  8) 8) 8).

I always had faith in you, but I'll bet it was a relief when it started and ran with only a little bit of fine tuning necessary  :)

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #860 on: March 22, 2020, 02:29:41 PM »
Thats excellent Tony.
Dont you just love it when a plan comes together.
Cheers, Dave

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #861 on: March 22, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »
Thanks guys, sure was a big relief, but I even hold my breath when I hear of others building their cars and hope like hell it all goes to plan.

Terry, there just standard lower control arms and caster bars. Why is that? Does it help with the under/over steer at all?

HP

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #862 on: March 22, 2020, 07:45:12 PM »
HP,

I don't have the Quaiffe in DS at the moment but for last years Corner Store run I fitted 'adjustable everything' under the front again because it just felt heavy in steering particulrly when winding the suspension up the positive camber was noticeable so I suspected the castor was getting dragged as well as things went up.

With all the adjustable bits underneath I wound up the struts and set up the Moke height how I wanted it with a decent load and then took it up to the local tyre place for a wheel aligment using some settings that are less Moke and more conventional car and the difference was very noticeable when driving it. I did do other things to the wheel bearings but for that trip I haven't had to rebuild the hubs when I got home like usual so it may be partly related to the wheel alignment issues.

I am tempted to consider putting the Quaiffe back in now.

You have a high clearance set up for Guliver so I am thinking that maybe if your camber, castor and toe-out was set up correctly you might find the diff wont be fighting against the drag on the tyres. The Quaiffe is a ATB(Auto Torque Biasing) so my thinking is if you aren't rolling as freely as you can then the ATB is working harder than it needs to. Just my thoughts.

Terry

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #863 on: March 22, 2020, 07:55:34 PM »
That does make sense, absolutely. I had considered the adjustable, but figured it hadn’t changed since the ‘60’s, there must be something in that( and I can’t adjust myself into trouble either  ;) )

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #864 on: May 23, 2020, 08:33:40 PM »
Hi All,
I changed some flogged out lower control arm rubbers on PRU recently, and I thought I should tackle Gullivers, after all, they are still the same ones since we built him in 2011.
Done a little bit of sight seeing since then  ;).

Cant drive far at the moment, so thought I might as well bring forward a bit of maintenance
Happy ( or unfortunately) to say they were ok still. So was the upper control arm pin. Oh well, had a few other things that needed replacing. Like an outer CV boot that had cracks developing, the new urathane bushes, some new rubber cones and a few other bits to fit.
Think Ill give some adjustables a go Terry  ;)

Donut wasn't too bad either considering some of the terain we have been on.

The CV boot hadnt broken luckily, so wiped away some of the old grease and re-filled it before fitting the new boot.

Should have done all this while I had the engine out, but I had other things I had to get done that was more important.

Cheers
HP

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #865 on: June 12, 2020, 05:24:25 PM »
You won,t be dissapointed with the adjustable setup, since I fitted mine I have a better ride than ever.
Do you hve the gear to set and measure the various settings yourself?
Cheers, Dave

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #866 on: June 13, 2020, 11:17:56 PM »
You won,t be dissapointed with the adjustable setup, since I fitted mine I have a better ride than ever.
Do you hve the gear to set and measure the various settings yourself?
Not really Dave, I could run string around and measure gaps, or make a jig like Terry has done, and this gets the alignment "close enough", but I took both Mokes into my local " No Bull" shop and they loved the adjustable parts supplied from Minis Plus( Me too, their awesome bits of kit). These guys have the equipment and know how to get it really close to spot on, and I have to say, even just around town and to work, the Moke's feel great.

Cant wait to go for a decent drive up the mountains to see how they really go when you point them and zip around the tight bends heading towards the Snow Line  8).  Not long now  8).
HP
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:24:26 PM by Halfpint »

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #867 on: June 14, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »
They will work just fine.
The alignment shops around here just whinge about having to do a mini.
I have some old school kit and some that I have invented/adapted so I can do all settings at home.
By the way, did your shop tell you the setting they settled on?
Cheers, Dave

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #868 on: June 14, 2020, 09:55:14 AM »
Good to see that your earlier work has held up well HP. Not a waste of time stripping it down as the peace of mind is worth it I think.

Also good reminder for me. I have always had the adjustable setup on mine, but after my nightmare series of events trying to get my suspension balanced that some will remember from a few years back, I reset them to "factory settings" and it worked well enough that I haven't been game to touch it since.

Always planned to get an expert to set it up properly though (I'm sure if I try it myself it will only end in heartbreak). Now that it appears likely the Rylstone Classic will be going ahead in August, I'm thinking that I should get organised and have it looked at before that trip. It's about 1,000 km for me , so would be a good test run before the Round Up (he says optiimistically, hoping that there is no outbreak/shut down between now and then). 

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #869 on: June 15, 2020, 05:09:16 PM »
By the way, did your shop tell you the setting they settled on?
Both Mokes had a slightly different setting, I guess it all relies on how consistent each body is built and the how well the tracking of the rear subframe and trailing arms are.

This is the report, please don't use its settings as anything other than a guide as Ive heard quite a few different results in the past and each car will have its own setup, and PRU's report shows that. They were both done on the same machine and by the same long term Mechanic there.

Cheers Newie, it is good to get it sorted. $80 odd for the alignment to give me good steering and protect $240 worth of front tyres is worth it IMO.

HP