austmoke

Author Topic: Gulliver  (Read 38019 times)

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Gulliver
« Reply #870 on: June 17, 2020, 06:00:04 PM »
Both Mokes had a slightly different setting, I guess it all relies on how consistent each body is built and the how well the tracking of the rear subframe and trailing arms are.

This is the report, please don't use its settings as anything other than a guide as Ive heard quite a few different results in the past and each car will have its own setup, and PRU's report shows that. They were both done on the same machine and by the same long term Mechanic there.

Yeah I have my own favorite settings I use, I just wondered what they ended up with.
Some subframe , bodies can be way out.
Sounds like you have a great set up now.
Cheers, Dave

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #871 on: June 17, 2020, 07:52:29 PM »
Hi,

is the rear end adjustable? the numbers looks pretty good if it isn't. :)

The front looks like he has set it up without you in the car but when you are in the drivers seats it should bring the numbers closer together.

Terry
13: "I am the scariest number."
666: "No, I am the scariest number."
2020: "Hold my beer and watch this."

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #872 on: June 18, 2020, 06:01:37 PM »
Nope, standard rear geometry Terry.

And I hope so Dave, its not some thing I need to play with now its set.

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #873 on: October 24, 2020, 08:09:07 PM »
Hi everyone,
As I sit here jealously hearing about snippets from Tamworth and wishing we were there, I thought I'd share a little issue I recently had with Gulliver.

Since fitting the new engine/gearbox, we have had very little opportunities to drive far, so with only 4 reasons to leave home most of the year, its been short runs to work, or to shop. Really nice and smooth to drive.
One such outing allowed me to finally open up Gulliver on the highway back in June for a few k's. Ran really well, but just as I hit the exit ramp, an oil smell wafted into the cabin. Then a plume of smoke behind. I had only around 200ks on the clock.
When I pulled over the engine bay was covered in oil, literally everything had fresh oil all over it. Still had heaps of oil in the sump, so got home ok. I lost about 150/200 mls of oil.

Couldn't see anything obvious like the oil pressure gauge line burst or anything like that, so I gave it a degrease and tried to make it happen again with a few short runs around the block. Nothing.

Things have just recently started to open up regionally here in Victoria so I took Gulliver for another run to Albury last week. Have about 700 k's on the clock now.
Coming back home at 110kph,  an oil smell again around the same place as earlier. Just off the highway is a car lovers car wash, so I pulled straight in and sure enough, oil everywhere again. It had came out of the rocker cover cap.
I removed the hose that is fitted between the carbie and the breather I have on the clutch housing( I dont have a breather on the timing chain cover) and tried to blow back into the engine crank case, but it was blocked. Bugger, but at least I had something to follow up on. A quick degrease and wash, then back home.

When I removed the breather, I found that the gasket in between the housing and the breather didn't have a hole cut into it  ::), missed that one when I made it ::). So I made a new gasket, cut the bolt holes AND the centre hole to allow it to actually breathe, and fitted it all back on. Went for a good 80k highway run at 110 kph with no issue this time.

Cant wait to go for a decent run now, hopefully very soon.

HP

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:27:05 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

SaharaDust

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #874 on: October 24, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »
Hey HP that sounds like a pretty simple fix Spose if just shows how important crankcase ventilation is to these A series engines.  Out of interest where do you connect the breather to on the intake/carburettor end.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #875 on: October 24, 2020, 09:27:26 PM »
It was from our conversation about the PCV valve when you got back from your trip to England , and your advice to connect it between the carb and manifold.
I still had it blanked off when the motor was dropped in. Just my stuff up with the gasket.
The hose went between the breather and where I have a bolt blanking off the the port above the fuel bowl.

I did have to do a little adjustment to the mixture and idle speed when the gasket was sorted properly  ;D.

Cheers

Mission

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #876 on: October 24, 2020, 09:29:39 PM »
HP

As I have just rebuilt the entire Moke, 79 Cali including the 1100 engine, I am interested about you doing 110kph ( and hopefully not making donations to the Police Christmas fund). What engine size, RPM at 110kph and what size tyres do you have on it please ?

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #877 on: October 24, 2020, 10:10:12 PM »
Hi Jim,
This is a bit of a can of worms  :)
My 1100 had 155 13 light truck tyres. 4100 rpm @100 kph and the speedo was spot on compared to a GPS.
When We did Cape York and also when we had 2 up and all our gear doing the Oodnadatta run, we could sit on 100/110 no problem as long as it wasn't a full on Sth Australian head wind.
I fitted some Bridgestone R623 175 13 Light Truck tyres in Jan 2019 and the extra diameter really sucked some power out. Add a small trailer and even slight Hills on the highway hurt any speed pretty quickly. This was one of the main reasons I needed to push the 1275 along ( this engine was my original plan for Guliver, but there were issues with the engine at the time that I didnt have time for at the time  ::)).
Dont get me wrong here, the 1100 is an awesome engine. I had a few tweeks to valve timing that gave me low torque v hi rev power, and these things are a "Give and Take" thing.
HP

Steam

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #878 on: October 25, 2020, 08:21:46 AM »
it is gratifying when you find / fix a fault.
 I have had similar a few years back with blowing the dipstick out then oil everywhere, blocked breather also if I remember correctly.
Cheers, Dave

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #879 on: October 25, 2020, 03:26:10 PM »

Does the clutch housing breather go any where, looks like it is a dead end like some of them were,
I think ours was the same so we drilled small holes in it.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #880 on: October 26, 2020, 08:20:57 AM »
Does the clutch housing breather go any where, looks like it is a dead end like some of them were,
I think ours was the same so we drilled small holes in it.

Hi Moemoke,
This housing came with the late model gearbox when I bought it. It had the breather mounted and an opening in the casting.
I didnt take any pics of the clutch side of the casing. I have quite a few other housings, some dont have the mount at all, a some have the mount, but as you said, is blanked and no threads for the breather.